Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather wrapping a steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
beech4rd
I've been told to chose my own Christmas gift this year and I want a leather wrapped steering wheel. Now I suspect that my dearly beloved's budget will not extend to having Dallas Custom Steering Wheel do the work but it will cover the cost of the Alan Gunn Leather kit. When I googled Aglausa, I found some negative reports, especially from BMW owners, about his business practices. Anyone on here have any experience of his product and service?
mepstein
Yes. I purchased one of his kits and it was crap. cheap piece of leather not fit for my dog to chew on. holes punched all over the place. Not worth it if it was free.

I've had 6 wheels done by dallas steering wheel. I've been pleased every time. Worth the money.
Wyvern
Interested to hear other options.
I am interested in doing my own install but thinking that a "WheelSkin" can't be my only option.
IronHillRestorations
I had a car here with an Alan Gun double wrapped leather wheel, and it was nice. I don't know what it cost, or how long it took, but it was nice. So it looks like it could go either way
Larmo63
I just bought this for myself for Christmas....Dallas Steering Wheel. Fast, great communication, and excellent workmanship. I do leather work myself, and I know I couldn't have done this as well. I don't scrimp on stuff like this, but that's me.

Click to view attachment
mb911
So whats the going rate for Dallas steering wheel?
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Dec 22 2017, 03:25 PM) *

I just bought this for myself for Christmas....Dallas Steering Wheel. Fast, great communication, and excellent workmanship.

Click to view attachment

Very nice! Came out great.
white914.jpg
bigkensteele
Somebody posted a good thread long ago about how they did their own. It turned out nice. I was looking for it last week and could not find it. I thought it might be in the Classics, but if it is, I missed it.

I know that Dallas Steering Wheel does great work, but this is a perfect winter project for us CSOBs.
Montreal914
Can't remember where I bought my kit but I thought it was a fun project. Pictures in the 2nd thread of post above.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 22 2017, 06:42 PM) *

Thick wrap on rim, thin on the spokes, around $450 last time I had it done.

Since you are doing the left side ignition, you will want an early 914-4 wheel so that you can use a 911 turn signal cancel ring. If you like the GT look wheel, I got you covered.
Even have a spare repro hockey puck.
porschetub
Heard Allan Gunn used to be great....times have changed from all accounts and the kits are stromberg.gif .
Have a double wrapped wheel done by a real craftsman in my country,kinda saving it in a box when I want to use it.
The double wrap is a much better grip and nicer to drive with.
Click to view attachment
SKL1
Another happy Dallas Steering wheel customer. They've done a few for me and my sons. They even did a thicker alcantara wheel for my F-150. Turned out nice!
thelogo
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Dec 22 2017, 02:03 PM) *

I've been told to chose my own Christmas gift this year and I want a leather wrapped steering wheel. Now I suspect that my dearly beloved's budget will not extend to having Dallas Custom Steering Wheel do the work but it will cover the cost of the Alan Gunn Leather kit. When I googled Aglausa, I found some negative reports, especially from BMW owners, about his business practices. Anyone on here have any experience of his product and service?

When something is gonna last 10 or 20 years

That should be more then enough to justify exceeding
The budget
burningman
Redlinegoods.

$129 for the kit, $149 for install.

The wrap in this kit has 4 seams while the original one. The owner is super helpful and may do a change order to make it one seam as original just ask.

High quality leather and install. The link to the pic below shows it in my car, I had them do the install.

https://www.redlinegoods.com/914shiftboot.php
sithot
Tony Garcia
Autobahn Interiors

www.autobahninteriors.com

I've known Tony a long time and he's done great work for me and others over the years.

Tom
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 22 2017, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 22 2017, 06:42 PM) *

Thick wrap on rim, thin on the spokes, around $450 last time I had it done.

Since you are doing the left side ignition, you will want an early 914-4 wheel so that you can use a 911 turn signal cancel ring. If you like the GT look wheel, I got you covered.
Even have a spare repro hockey puck.

Very cool.. That will be my plan when time comes..
beech4rd
Thanks everybody. I think I'll go the Dallas route. I want the wheel to both look and, more importantly, feel good. Going with the padded option.
mepstein
QUOTE(beech4rd @ Dec 23 2017, 12:55 PM) *

Thanks everybody. I think I'll go the Dallas route. I want the wheel to both look and, more importantly, feel good. Going with the padded option.

It’s worth it.
I don’t happen to like the spokes padded so you have to mention that if you just want padding on the rim.
bowzer
Ive bought the leather wheel kit from automotion.good quality pre holed cover.its been sitting on my floor wrapped around the wheel but havent started the stitching yet.the fit looks like it will turn out perfect,now its up to me to start.
AZBanks
I don't remember if I first found this company here or on Pelican.

I have no experience with them other than a few posts online.

http://car-bone.pl/shop/steering-wheel-renovation/
bbrock
QUOTE(bowzer @ Dec 23 2017, 12:34 PM) *

Ive bought the leather wheel kit from automotion.good quality pre holed cover.its been sitting on my floor wrapped around the wheel but havent started the stitching yet.the fit looks like it will turn out perfect,now its up to me to start.

Do you think that kit would work with a little padding on the wheel? Please post pics when it is finished (or in progress if you can).
Dr Evil
QUOTE(sithot @ Dec 22 2017, 10:59 PM) *

Tony Garcia
Autobahn Interiors

www.autobahninteriors.com

I've known Tony a long time and he's done great work for me and others over the years.

Tom
Holy shit, is that lagunero from this site? If so, I started with him back 12 yrs ago when I was running interiors across to Mexico while doing under grad in San Diego. Small world and it looks like he took off. Good for him.
JmuRiz
...if so I should have done a dash way back when. Still kicking myself for not doing that biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.