Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stolen 3.2 engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
GeorgeRud
Our good friend Eric Shea (of PMB Brakes) had a 3.2 engine stolen from the back of his pickup truck today. Hopefully everyone could keep their eyes and ears open for any sudden ‘good deals’. Supposedly missing an alternator and lower valve covers.Click to view attachment
SO.O.C914er
That just stinks. Nothing I hate more then someone steeling from our fellow 914 members headbang.gif
mb911
Wow thats sad
EdwardBlume
WTF.gif

I hate thieves. Post the EIN if you have it.
Cracker
Pretty narrow market for AC Porsche motors....causal thieves wouldn't even know what it is - most likely. Just out of curiosity, did it occur overnight? Very sad indeed...those are quite pricey now too!

Tony
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 25 2017, 07:58 AM) *

Pretty narrow market for AC Porsche motors....causal thieves wouldn't even know what it is - most likely. Just out of curiosity, did it occur overnight? Very sad indeed...those are quite pricey now too!

Tony

agree.gif totally! it has someone in the hobby (911 914 etc) or biz, at minimum knows what it's worth.

No one steals a dirty engine who isn't in the know. Would almost think targeted, someone who knew it was there.

ar15.gif

Sorry Eric...that sucks.... Merry fucking Christmas sad.gif
914Sixer
Damm headbang.gif
914-300Hemi
WTF.gif
Cairo94507
I hope they find the motor, identify and arrest the thief. So sorry Eric.
jim_hoyland
WTF.gif and on Christmas ???? Saddened this even happened..
mepstein
Yea, 450lb lump. Every time something is stolen at our shop, it’s a former employee.
rhodyguy
Somebody in the 'know'.
sixnotfour
that sucks, I had a crank and rods stolen out of the back seat of my truck,,security cameras are under the Christmas tree...
Ill keep ears and eyes open..
rgalla9146

That sucks big time.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 25 2017, 06:47 AM) *

Yea, 450lb lump. Every time something is stolen at our shop, it’s a former employee.

agree.gif
Cairo94507
I am afraid Mark has likely hit the nail on the head. I would begin by looking at all former and current employees. Sucks, but that is usually the answer.
Maltese Falcon
Flash #s Factory stamped near the SN of the 3.2 Family of engines;
930/20 = 3.2engine ROW (rest of world) 1984-up
930/21= 3.2 engine USA 1984-86
930/25= 3.2 engine USA 1987-89
930/26= 3.2 engine Sweden
Source: Bruce Anderson's Porsche 911 Performance.
The engine id # is either still in its place, unless removed or restamped by the thief (orig # can still be identified by most BAT* detectives) . Eric may not want to make this info public, as this is his call only.
*Burglary AutoTheft
rhodyguy
On the other hand, I would never leave a stack of 50+ $100 bills in the back of a pickup that was in a business park. But that's just me.
iankarr
So sorry to hear this. especially when we're supposed to focus on goodwill.

A few things for sure. 1) this was not a crime of opportunity. Whoever took it was prepared to transfer a 500lb lump of metal. 2) This person knew Eric had it, and where he was keeping it. 3) Eric should in no way feel bad for leaving it in his truck. Whoever stole the engine would've found a way to get it, no matter where it was stored. Totally an inside job. Let's hope we nail the bastards.
Mikey914
Is there a serial number that we should on the lookout for?
mepstein
Hopefully there are some cameras set up.
StratPlayer
Sad, hope they catch the fkers.
davehg
That sucks, hopefully they can be caught and the engine retrieved. I just brought home my 2.7 from CA in the back of my truck and worried about parking overnight in the hotel lot. I have a locking roll up cover but if anyone really wanted it it...
Porschef
A little late to this wake, but yeah, undoubtedly an inside job. Unless you are completely savvy about air cooled engines you're not gonna mess with a hunk of metal as scrap prices are way down. It would behoove Eric to examine a list of former employees/disgruntled acquaintances/sketchy customers and go from there.

And yes, cameras are most helpful.

Good luck, hang the Fucher. No one is stealing that to feed their family ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Triaddave
It might have been that old lady with the shopping cart I saw wheeling an engine down the street.
So, look for a really fast shopping cart..
altitude411
I heard a certain "Chris" broke down in Utah last night?? Not pointing fingers just sayin
*(don't want to be on the naughty list.... again)

Click to view attachment

Serial # so post it everywhere, Sorry Eric sad2.gif
Coondog
I always tell businesses to get two security systems. The one the employees know about when they open and close and your system that you can monitor during and after hours.
burton73
Car thefts are scum of the earth but Porsche car and Porsche deserve a special place in hell.

These P Eng. And P parts are worth some serious bucks, any 6 are.
We all have to make sure that we have the right insurance.
I changed my insurance to Hagerty a couple of months ago making that anything like this would b covered.

Thieves come in all levels. Some would break your window to steel your phone charger.

Old story of Porsche crime. Some of you may not of been born but I remember this very clear. April 26, in 1982, a gunman robbed rock star Rod Stewart on Hollywood's Sunset Boulevard and stole his $50,000 Porsche.
The British singer and his 3-year-old daughter were standing next to his black 1977 Turbo Carrera when a gunman demanded the keys. Stewart complied, but the gunman couldn't start the car because of an electronic anti-theft device, so he ordered the musician to start the car for him.

Bob B
ar15.gif
r_towle
Eric, terribly sorry this happened to you!
I hope the financial impact is not to overwhelming.

Rich
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(burton73 @ Dec 25 2017, 03:05 PM) *

Car thefts are scum of the earth but Porsche car and Porsche deserve a special place in hell.

These P Eng. And P parts are worth some serious bucks, any 6 are.
We all have to make sure that we have the right insurance.
I changed my insurance to Hagerty a couple of months ago making that anything like this would b covered.

Thieves come in all levels. Some would break your window to steel your phone charger.

Old story of Porsche crime. Some of you may not of been born but I remember this very clear. April 26, in 1982, a gunman robbed rock star Rod Stewart on Hollywood's Sunset Boulevard and stole his $50,000 Porsche.
The British singer and his 3-year-old daughter were standing next to his black 1977 Turbo Carrera when a gunman demanded the keys. Stewart complied, but the gunman couldn't start the car because of an electronic anti-theft device, so he ordered the musician to start the car for him.

Bob B
ar15.gif

Bob...it was also a DP slant- nose version , a friend of mine bought it at the insurance auction (pink slip days) then flipped it for a small profit. Rod moved on to a Red Countach, DP 930 is alive in someone's collection today smile.gif
I sure do hope that the Law Enforcement brings justice here to Eric's theft.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Dec 25 2017, 08:49 AM) *

On the other hand, I would never leave a stack of 50+ $100 bills in the back of a pickup that was in a business park. But that's just me.

So, it's Eric's fault? dry.gif
carking1996
IT's terrible that this would've happened and how it happened. It'd be hard to see inside the truck so it had to have been someone who would've known about it. Hoping for a good update!
Rand
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 25 2017, 04:59 PM) *

Don't be that guy.

May justice be brung, and brung down hard.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 25 2017, 09:59 PM) *

Wow blink.gif

The Motronic is worth the 50 - $100 bills. The engine alone? 150. Let’s blame the victim...

JRust
It's the holidays. I have more theft this time of year than any other. While an inside job is certainly a possibility. Eric has good people working for him. I'd certainly trust Eric & how he vets employee's. People can be disappointing to say the least. Including people that you know. I'll keep my finger's crossed it was just someone who was prepared to steal whatever they could get their hands on. I'm sure he should have insurance that would cover it. It was in his company truck. Hopefully we can track it down. Would like to get the scum in the pokey for it.

I will keep my eye's open as will everyone here. Thankfully while our community isn't small. It is tight & if the guys aren't smart. One of us will find an add somewhere
mgp4591
We've got the eyes and ears open in Utah.... mad.gif evilgrin.gif ar15.gif
Coondog
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 25 2017, 07:52 PM) *

Wow blink.gif

The Motronic is worth the 50 - $100 bills. The engine alone? 150. Let’s blame the victim...

I believe the OP was just stating that in these days you just have to take more precautions. Do I think it was a inside job ??? No. Look at the businesses in the same industrial park. Rays Garage !! Everybody knows Eric’s business. Thefts know that industrial parks are 100% vacant during the holidays. They saw a opportunity and took it. Even a dirtbag theft knows that anything Porsche has to be worth something.
Cracker
Unfortunately, this is part of the learning process...not necessarily fault but storing valuable bits like this in the open is risky. Its been a long time since I have had something of value lifted...part good fortune and part acquired wisdom.

It also occurred to me last night (yikes) that I have a completely rebuilt, tuned and ready to install AC motor (but not a 3.2!) currently in my trailer. However, our back-up tow-vehicle Suburban is in front of the trailer with a 45000 lb motorhome to the side. This precaution was really intended for the trailer though...which are routinely stolen as well. Although temporary in nature, it is a risk I am taking by leaving it in there!

We ALL know: IF a thief wants something, they will go to great lengths to acquire it - no matter the precautions taken to prevent such an event. Dumb thiefs will be caught and slightly smarter ones will split the items into pieces to liquidate. They probably generally do not drive a Porsche...unless they stole one.

Eric, I truly am sorry this happened and as someone else mentioned, that the financial burden of this loss is not overwhelming. I would hope it would not be...

Tony
rhodyguy
Fuck rob...read what I posted again. please. Or not.
GeorgeRud
A friend had his entire Porsche in an enclosed trailer stolen on his way back from a Porsche Parade at a motel parking lot. As said, if someone wants it bad enough, they’ll figure out a way. I just hope Eric can get the engine number posted (if known) so folks can be on the lookout for someone trying to sell the engine. I highly doubt someone stole this for their own conversion project!
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 25 2017, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 25 2017, 07:52 PM) *

Wow blink.gif

I think what Kevin was saying is any tradesman, which he is, will tell you that he doesn't leave his tools in the back of the truck. Why? Because of thieves. They're always on the lookout. While I do regret this happened to Erc I must say, I don't leave things of value to me unprotected or out there for the picking. And I'll bet Eric doesn't do it again either. An expensive lesson learned. I wouldn't even stay at a Hilton with valuables in the truck. beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'm sure Eric doesn't need to hear the post loss advice, most of which has probably already gone through his noggin in the wake of all the BS.

Keep on the lookout, that's what's really needed here, not a diatribe on how it could've been prevented.
Cracker
Perry: I do not believe this is for Eric...it is for everyone else who are simply hobbyist at best. If it could happen to a professional - it could happen to Joe-blow and they need to see/read this. I do not believe I have ever seen Eric even post on this thread...engine details (year, numbers, pictures, etc) need to be shared if the "community" is going to help be on the "lookout" - as you suggest. I believe you are reading this wrong...

Tony

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 26 2017, 11:11 AM) *

I'm sure Eric doesn't need to hear the post loss advice, most of which has probably already gone through his noggin in the wake of all the BS.

Keep on the lookout, that's what's really needed here, not a diatribe on how it could've been prevented.
TheCabinetmaker
One of our local 914 guys kept his racecar in his trailer. The trailer was stolen. Two days later, his car was found in a mall parking lot. No sign of the trailer.
mb911
Just note the engine has no fan/alt assembly on it and has a cone filter in prep of 914 install.

Was messaging Eric this morning.
raynekat
When I'm traveling and stay in a hotel overnight....everything comes out of the car and up to the room with me at night.

I learned the hard way coming back from Christmas with all my gifts in the back of my van.
Woke up and everything was gone....even my new Christmas undies.
Someone had broken into about a dozen cars over night.

It does take a hard lesson to learn and sometimes what needs to be done isn't the easiest option.
IronHillRestorations
QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 26 2017, 08:18 AM) *

Perry: I do not believe this is for Eric...it is for everyone else who are simply hobbyist at best. If it could happen to a professional - it could happen to Joe-blow and they need to see/read this. I do not believe I have ever seen Eric even post on this thread...engine details (year, numbers, pictures, etc) need to be shared if the "community" is going to help be on the "lookout" - as you suggest. I believe you are reading this wrong...

Tony

QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Dec 26 2017, 11:11 AM) *

Point taken Tony. As iron sharpens iron smile.gif
dcheek
Something like this seems to happen to someone else, unless it happens to you. Obvious right? But, still shocking and aggravating when you are the victim.

We had our VW Club trailer stolen. Yes, it had a lock on the hitch and was on private property. We found it thanks to someone posting on Facebook with pictures, location etc.
We thought it was gone forever. Social media saved the day.

Here's a picture of the trailer where it was abandoned. Note the perps sprayed over the club graphics with silver paint. Other than some tools, tables and minor items stolen, pretty much everything else was left intact. I guess they didn't own a Volkswagen!
Click to view attachment
mb911
At this point lets just focus on finding the engine. We have a few tidbits of information.. Be on the look out for a 3.2 no fan alt assembly and cone filter.. Sounds like it was a nice core/possibly not a core at all. So fairly complete engine..
Larmo63
I hope we get some numbers to be on the lookout for. With social media and LOTS of friends, Eric has a good start on recovering this engine.

That was a pretty lowlife thing to do, I hope the perps get exposed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.