Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock shifter or rennshift? Worth the money?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
RickS
Installed the Rennshifter and what a fantastic difference. After lots of trial and error, error meaning losing reverse and first, it is 95% dialed in. It is so precise and takes the guesswork out of Gear changes. Very solid and reassuring.

The final 5% is getting the shift into 2nd so solid, that there is no way to just Knick reverse.

Relatedly, The main issue is the reverse lockout tends to hit the shift lever dead center and locks out first too unless I move the lever a bit back to get around it and it totally locks out reverse. The solution was to remove it unless someone knows a trick.

Don’t need the Patrick Motorsport stuff since I already have a bronze bushing in the firewall, a straight rear shift rod with a ball coupler. The steering coupler seems redundant so it is all going back. If this was a new conversion to a 6 it would have been helpful.
gothspeed
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Dec 31 2017, 04:40 PM) *

Mine has been both a 4 and a 6 with the Rennshift And shift rod And McMark mod.

Is that a real picture or some photoshop creation? It looks AWESOME!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Driver174
What is this “McMark mod”?
jdeitch
QUOTE(plays with cars @ Jan 1 2018, 01:45 PM) *

I installed a Rennshift earlier this year. It was an improvement, but wasn’t as dramatic as I hoped. But I’ve felt others and they were superb. Perhaps I need some more adjustment?

Regarding the slot for a hand throttle? It wasn’t hard at all to cut one into the baseplate and install the hand throttle per usual. Mine works great. I also used the Wevo knob, but I elected for the one that slips on with a crush sleeve.
Click to view attachment

Beautiful setup. What pedal are those?
ChrisFoley
Looks like Rennline.
Geezer914
I have a Renn shifter installed on my 914 and never looked back. Also Installed the Tangerine Racing shift linkage and bearing. No longer hunting for gears.
VaccaRabite
This is an ancient thread.
That said, the rennshift is worth it.
But, you HAVE to get your bearings freshened up. Or better yet get the Tangerine shift kit (which I have). It really transforms how the 914 shifts. Very very precise.

A Rennshift on a car with bad bushings will not net ANY positive effects, and could make things worse.

Zach
Cairo94507
I will add I had a RennShifter in my car and it shifted terribly until I had it adjusted by someone that knows what they are doing. I had taken it to a shop recommended by J West, Sport Performance in Livermore, ( I believe they may have closed) to be adjusted properly and it still shifted very tight.

When John Holleran got his hands on it, he adjusted all the linkage angles, checked bushings and adjusted the actual Rennshifter, tons better.

Despite that, I removed it and replaced it with the stock shifter with a Weltmeister short shift kit with the stock 914 arm welded on it so it looks 100% stock and also has the hand throttle. Very happy with it now. If my car was more of a GT looking car, I would have kept the RennShifter in it. beerchug.gif
mepstein
I love my renn shifter but it will only improve shifting at the shifter. Shifting precision is only as good as the weakest link. Trans, linkage, bushings , etc. a Rennshift won’t fix a worn out trans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.