Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hand Written Number under the Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike Fitton
Changed out my dash today to the correct early version on my 914-6. Saw the hand written black marker number under the dash and it does not match my rear trunk number. Under dash number is 130xxx rear trunk is 132xxx does this seem right?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 2 2018, 12:49 AM) *

Changed out my dash today to the correct early version on my 914-6. Saw the hand written black marker number under the dash and it does not match my rear trunk number. Under dash number is 130xxx rear trunk is 132xxx does this seem right?

Mine had a color written and the dash frame was that color.
porschetub
Appears the 911's have the same marking,is it done with a yellow wax pensil?
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 1 2018, 08:06 PM) *

Appears the 911's have the same marking,is it done with a yellow wax pensil?

Looks like this, this was a 67S.
Mike Fitton
No mine was a black marker and on the bottom side of the dash, I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here.
mepstein
All 4 of my dashes that I have in storage have a similar number in marker.
sithot
Under the dash pad on the 911 Porsche (eventually) changed these numbers to a "production number" and they never matched the chassis.

The only way to find out whether these "numbers match" is to contact the factory. If they do match they'll say so but if they don't you will not get the correct number from them.

The upside of this is that re-bodied cars can be rooted out.

Here is a thread from the Early S Registry regarding this:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/sh...umber-Locations
Cairo94507
Mike - My understanding is the number handwritten under the dash, should be the chassis number stamped into the center back panel of the car trunk. Does it appear the rear trunk panel was ever replaced?
gms
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 1 2018, 09:49 PM) *

Mike,
The number in your trunk is the Karmann serial number; generally the Karmann number is also written under the dash. It is not uncommon for the dash and trunk to not match. The example below is for Karmann # 131846 I believe they added a "0" for 1970 under the dash.
Click to view attachment
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(gms @ Jan 2 2018, 08:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jan 1 2018, 09:49 PM) *

Mike,
The number in your trunk is the Karmann serial number; generally the Karmann number is also written under the dash. It is not uncommon for the dash and trunk to not match. The example below is for Karmann # 131846 I believe they added a "0" for 1970 under the dash.
Click to view attachment

Thanks Glenn, yep same black marker used on mine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.