Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cost no object?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
I’ve seen it offered before but I had no idea what they were asking.
My 914
I just saw this as well and couldn't believe the price. they've had it on their site for a while with the invitation to make an offer. I didn't know they had their eye on the quarter million mark!
Unobtanium-inc
Normally in these outlandish price situations there is always the adage, "You couldn't build it for this price."
Considering you can pick up a nice 914-4 for $25,000, that leaves you $200,000 to build this, I bet it could be done, for far less.
gothspeed
As much as I love the 916 .... the mono-color scheme never really grew on me ..... it makes the car look too 'stocky' ..... the 914-GT or 914-6 w/M471 option look the best to me ..... but I am certain this car is a beast in every other way ... smile.gif
Steve
Isn’t that the price of a real 916?
The sad part of a converted 4, it’s typically only worth the sum of the parts.
What did Paul’s car sell for? Paul’s Excellence Car was the nicest one I have ever seen.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 5 2018, 08:44 PM) *

What did Paul’s car sell for? Paul’s Excellence Car was the nicest one I have ever seen.

Paul’s sold for around $60k. Amazing car. $20k underpriced in my opinion.
PMS believes the originals are worth more.
Steve
I have never seen a real one sell for over $250k. George at AA has his listed for $495k
rhodyguy
Redefines Expectations. OK. Whose?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2018, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 5 2018, 08:44 PM) *

Paul’s sold for around $60k. Amazing car. $20k underpriced in my opinion.
PMS believes the originals are worth more.

agree.gif his car sold right at $60K. He called me and asked my opinion and that is exactly what I told him - not a dime less than $80K.

I think at $225K there is profit in this car. This is a lot more car than Paul’s. 3.8 with mods to the bottom end.
Chris914n6
Not with that flat nosed bumper dumbass.gif
bigkensteele
I have not had to deal with them yet, but I get the feeling that everything at PMS is overpriced.

Given that I am putting together a 2.7 conversion, I am sure that I am going to have to get something from them at some point.
mepstein
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jan 5 2018, 10:06 PM) *

I have not had to deal with them yet, but I get the feeling that everything at PMS is overpriced.

Given that I am putting together a 2.7 conversion, I am sure that I am going to have to get something from them at some point.

They have some great stuff. Some of it is relabeled and you can find it for less but the one stop shopping is convienient. This car is on consignment so it’s probably the sellers price. I have not heard of a 916 for 1 million plus but people like to dream.
Steve
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2018, 07:16 PM) *

They have some great stuff. Some of it is relabeled and you can find it for less but the one stop shopping is convienient. This car is on consignment so it’s probably the sellers price. I have not heard of a 916 for 1 million plus but people like to dream.

PMS has a lot of nice stuff, especially if you want to run a 915 gear box and or a 3.6 motor. I built my 2.7 six before PMS existed. I used an early 2.0 six flywheel and stock 2.0 disk and pressure plate. I started off with a cross bar motor mount and then switched to Rich Johnson’s Mount, so I could run heat exchangers. Back then I was able to buy the oil tank and lines over the counter from Porsche. Today I would by them from Ben (mb911) on the board.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jan 5 2018, 10:28 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 5 2018, 07:16 PM) *

PMS has a lot of nice stuff, especially if you want to run a 915 gear box and or a 3.6 motor. I built my 2.7 six before PMS existed. I used an early 2.0 six flywheel and stock 2.0 disk and pressure plate. I started off with a cross bar motor mount and then switched to Rich Johnson’s Mount, so I could run heat exchangers. Back then I was able to buy the oil tank and lines over the counter from Porsche. Today I would by them from Ben (mb911) on the board.

Ben has set the bar high with his heat exchangers and other conversion parts.
Coondog
PMS just finished my 3.2 conversion. I have seen this car many times in his shop. The interior work alone cost more then my entire build.
somd914
Look at it this way, Singer has no problems selling 964's in the neighborhood of a half million, and they draw a crowd at every car event and in social media.
mepstein
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 6 2018, 07:36 AM) *

Look at it this way, Singer has no problems selling 964's in the neighborhood of a half million, and they draw a crowd at every car event and in social media.

1/4 million dollar 911's are sold all the time. Tribute cars. The real IROC's, RS's, ect go for multiples more. 914's, not so much unless they are real GT's, 916's, ect. I think this car has been for sale for a couple years now.
somd914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2018, 08:00 AM) *

1/4 million dollar 911's are sold all the time. Tribute cars. The real IROC's, RS's, ect go for multiples more. 914's, not so much unless they are real GT's, 916's, ect. I think this car has been for sale for a couple years now.

True, but not half million dollar 964's, which up until recently were selling for less than 911 Carreras and 993's.

In the case of Singer, you are paying upwards of a $500k for their craftsmanship and art, not for the car, which the customer provides.

All I'm saying is the price might not be absurd if the quality is there. Sure, it's a limited market, likely well beyond the realms of an average 914 owner, but many 911's are well beyond the realms of an average 911 owner.
mepstein
QUOTE(somd914 @ Jan 6 2018, 08:15 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 6 2018, 08:00 AM) *

True, but not half million dollar 964's, which up until recently were selling for less than 911 Carreras and 993's.

In the case of Singer, you are paying upwards of a $500k for their craftsmanship and art, not for the car, which the customer provides.

All I'm saying is the price might not be absurd if the quality is there. Sure, it's a limited market, likely well beyond the realms of an average 914 owner, but many 911's are well beyond the realms of an average 911 owner.

The Singers just go to show that guys will pay big bucks for almost any 911. There are still just a couple 914's that make the cut. The 911 body, hot rod, backdate, ect shops are all busy with multi year waits. If we made a 911 with the parts and build quality of the PMS 916, we would have it sold before its done. there are plenty of buyers in the 911 pipeline.
rgalla9146
916 front bumpers always look a little melted to me.
The rear isn't exactly inspired either.
The PMS car looks a bit elevated doesn't it ?

If you want a real laugh take a peek at the Keith Martin price guide.
I don't have it in on hand right now but get this:
They list the '914S" 8 cyl. 2 (yes, TWO made) at $195,000 !
The 916s were less.

I'll follow up later with exact info.
Admittedly, they use auction results as factual guidelines.
GeorgeRud
It’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I’m sure the quality of the build is first rate and with hourly labor charges, things add up very quickly and parts are no longer inexpensive.
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 6 2018, 10:42 AM) *

The 916s were less.

If I had the money and the cars were for sale, I’d buy either one or both of the 914-8’s. The ultimate factory built 914 hot rod.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 6 2018, 08:56 AM) *

It’s worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I’m sure the quality of the build is first rate and with hourly labor charges, things add up very quickly and parts are no longer inexpensive.

Quite right (sorry, I've been watching the Crown recently), but the fact that this car has been on the market for several years un-sold, means it beyond over-priced. Cool Porsches sell, even over-priced ones. I know dealers who this is all they do, find a really cool car, put a high price on it, and it eventually sells, but everything has it's limit. If they wanted this kind of money, they should have not gotten cheap on the front end and bought a six chassis.
Maltese Falcon
Plenty of folks here at 914world that build/ have built major milestone 914s (911s as well). Companies like Singer have built up their reputation with an excellent product and have reached their branded image of the "High QC, Must-Have 911" complete with sales brokers, waiting lists and the million dollar Singer just around the corner. I've gotten to know a few builders that mentored over at Singer and jumped ship...now in their own digs. These guys will build you any type of high end car for a lot less cost of a Singer, but like I said Plenty of awesome builders right here driving.gif
raynekat
"Finest 916 tribute car available" ?????
Not in my mind.

Plain and simple, this car is another hot rod....nothing else.
Sure it has front and rear bumpers, flares and the welded top to give it the outward appearance.
Beyond that it is nothing 916-like to me.
Real 916's had a 2.4 MFI engine, not a 3.8 DME.

That said, looks like a very well built car.
And obviously worth a lot of money.
Wonder what it costs to do a metal roof the correct way?
1st thing I'd change in a heartbeat are those awful seats.
Put a simply set of sports seats with a cool tartan plaid and now you're talking my language.
That AC compressor really puts a dent in your driver seat fore/aft adjustment!
Finally, those mufflers would have to go as well.
With an engine of that size, a better choice would have been a GT3RS type of factory muffler.
Would have sounded awesome.
thelogo
Even if i won the lotto
I wouldnt throw down that money for that car

Id get a brand new corvette and a motor home to tow the vette smoke.gif

And a hundred 1000$ a night hookers

Mike Bellis
All that money and they used a shitty aftermarket front bumper and did not fix the smashed in look? For that kind of money, it should be a perfect recreation not just a tribute.

I could build that can for well under $100k. I think they are smoking dope trying to get that kind of money.
Front yard mechanic
What ! No cup holder
somd914
As P.T. Barnum never said (but gets the credit), "There is a sucker born every minute"

Guess the right sucker hasn't come along yet, and might not...
rgalla9146
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 6 2018, 10:42 AM) *

The 916s were less.

Follow- up / Correction;
914 S aka 914 8 2 built, Porsche family owned $175000.
916 2.7 20 built $ 119500
914 6 GT 11 built $120000
914 6 3360 built ~ $65000
IF ONLY !!!
Larmo63
I'm not a fan of the 916 look, mainly the ugly bumpers. The red interior is grotesque, but Patrick built it for a customer that way. The tall wheels look goofy too. Money has no accounting for taste. With $225,000.00, I would and could build something closer to what Armando Serrano is building; an authentic and sincere recreation of an M471 914-6 GT.

Click to view attachment

I prefer something more like the yellow car PMS has on their showroom floor, but that's my taste.
r_towle
I recall reading an article about the classic car market and how it has lost some value in the past year or two, so these prices may come down for a while.

Lawrence, love it or hate it, silver paint with a red interior are Porsche official racing colors from that era.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.