Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo 914 (1.8 type-4)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
holtby914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 15 2018, 08:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 15 2018, 08:11 PM) *

QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 15 2018, 04:06 PM) *
... i plan on building 2 more 914's (probably many more), one that is AWD and has a Subaru STI drivetrain...

It will be very challenging to route the driveshaft forward to the front wheels--the engine will be in the way! I know that some mid-engine AWD cars run the driveshaft through the crankcase, and others that have transverse engines and transmissions just go forward from the trans case because that is to one side of the engine crankcase.

Either one would be tough to do with a Scooby drivetrain.

--DD

So by engine in the back, electric motor in the front.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/...mpaign=GRMDaily

Never ever will i be driving an electric vehicle. I like to keep things old school wink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 15 2018, 08:47 PM) *

... i plan on building 2 more 914's (probably many more), one that is AWD and has a Subaru STI drivetrain...

It will be very challenging to route the driveshaft forward to the front wheels--the engine will be in the way! I know that some mid-engine AWD cars run the driveshaft through the crankcase, and others that have transverse engines and transmissions just go forward from the trans case because that is to one side of the engine crankcase.

--DD

Never ever will i be driving an electric vehicle. I like to keep things old school wink.gif

Old school 1900 - 1905
thelogo

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 15 2018, 04:10 PM) *

Kinda confused why you would do a aircooled turbo

Instead of watercooled

Or turbo diesal

The car with the audi turbo is really cool

As would a ecotech smoke.gif

Simple... because of its cool and unique. Sure anyone can swap a different modern engine into there car with a turbo. But there is a lot less actually engineering that goes into that, as it has been done lots before. But it is not enough to make a project out of it, or one that would be approved by my professors. A flat 4 boxer has a very low C.G. and is perfect for the driving characteristics of a 914. Later on, in life, i plan on building 2 more 914's (probably many more), one that is AWD and has a Subaru STI drivetrain, and one with a SBC, with a blower that pokes out over the roof.

Simple is good but

But not really huge complexity in a boosted type 4

I would think something like this is more in your wheelhouse
Think you could make this work smoke.gif

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Jumo_205
thelogo
bye1.gif

worn
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 17 2018, 03:02 PM) *

bye1.gif

What da ‘ell is that? I mean it looks cool but I avent a clue.
thelogo
QUOTE(worn @ Jan 17 2018, 04:24 PM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 17 2018, 03:02 PM) *

bye1.gif

What da ‘ell is that? I mean it looks cool but I avent a clue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkers_Jumo_205

That would be the ole opposed piston engine

Gotta love those germans
holtby914
Here is how the car looked in the fall:
holtby914
taking apart spare engine: I learn what not to do taking apart type-4 many time while taking apart this engine.
holtby914
the cinder block wasn't ideal:
holtby914
Rods and crank are in good shape... rest of the engine won't be of any use.
fordb132
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Hi there Blake.I put together a 914/4 engine with turbo just now.Only started it on the workshop floor.Running great so far......Going to put it in a 914 this spring.I like to play with carbs,so FI wasn't an option for me.
Good luck with your project!
Mueller
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 25 2018, 11:01 AM) *

Hi there Blake.I put together a 914/4 engine with turbo just now.Only started it on the workshop floor.Running great so far......Going to put it in a 914 this spring.I like to play with carbs,so FI wasn't an option for me.

Great photoshop job there!

Just kidding..... looks good, feel free to make a build thread on this setup!

maf914
foerdb132,

Please tell us more about your engine. Bore, stroke, compression, turbo, carbs, etc.

Great effort. Good luck. I hope it runs well.
thelogo
I guess you can turbo a 914 apparently

But how about superchargeing a 914 ?
Dave_Darling
Tough to find a good spot for the charger that lets you run a decent belt. It can be done, though, if you get creative!

--DD
fordb132
Click to view attachment Looks fairly simple to mount a blower with a serpentine belt driven from the dynamo and feeding two carbs or FI.
My engine is a 2,0 spare engine that was lying in the trunk of a 914 wreck I bought from USA.Looks like the heads have been a little flycut and on top there are Dellorto 40's.
Probably the original camshaft...I didn't split the case.
Mueller
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jan 26 2018, 01:15 PM) *

I guess you can turbo a 914 apparently

But how about superchargeing a 914 ?

Search, a few threads with pictures.

A company even had a bolt on kit and the car was featured in European Mag, the car owner was a member here, not sure if he still since I think the car sold last year.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 27 2018, 08:49 AM) *

Looks fairly simple to mount a blower with a serpentine belt driven from the dynamo and feeding two carbs or FI.

Check where the engine is in relation to the firewall. It can be difficult to find a good spot with clearance for a decent sized pulley and the body of the blower.

--DD
r_towle
QUOTE(holtby914 @ Jan 15 2018, 08:47 PM) *

--DD

Print this out and hang it up over your desk.
In 1-2 decades you can look back on your former opinion.
Mueller
Any updates?
holtby914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 11 2018, 03:03 PM) *

Any updates?

School has been absolutely crazy this past month, I haven't had any time to focus on the car. Will have lots more time to get a good chunk of the restoration done once exams finish, so between mid-April and August, you should start to hear lots from me smile.gif. I got a Job for the summer at a very cool restoration/hot rod shop called "Xcentrick Autosports". Check it out (youtube), I should learn lots from them.

Almost finished up soldering the Megasquirt. Took me some time to figure out where you left off.

holtby914
QUOTE(fordb132 @ Jan 25 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

This is very Inspiring. You will be hearing from me. Carbs are cool!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.