Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cooling flaps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
joeav8tor
hello,
I retinned my engine and am getting ready to reinstall it...I wanted to make sure that my cooling flaps are operating properly before I do this...right now the cable that comes off of the thermostat is tight and the flap on the same side of the thermostat is closed as far as it will go (1/2 inch from being completely closed, it wont close any further). the flap over the oil cooler is opposite, it is completely open....is this correct, and what purpose are the flaps for...the haynes manual eludes to the fact that the flaps should be in the same position....thanks for the help!
Joe
9144guy
take them out unless it gets to 35 deg. weather, unless its for show.
Allan
Check out this thread.

Cooling Flaps
joeav8tor
thanks for posting that thread to cooling flaps...it looks like it is working properly ...found this post by brad roberts
The drivers side flap when closed opens the passenger side flap. This cuts off air to the drivers side cylinders (to warm them up) and lets the air on the passenger side go OVER the oil cooler instead of through it. The passenger side also tries to block some of the air for those cylinders (warming that side up also)
thanks for the replies!
Joe
beerchug.gif
dmenche914
No, No, No. leave the flaps installed, and functional. Even if the controlling bellows fails, the flaps will go to the spring loaded fail safe position. If you remove the flaps, the air will not be directed correctly, they need to be installed for the best, most even cooling.

Cooling Flaps is good too have, cause a functional system allows the car to warm up faster, which reduces wear, and smog.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.