Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wasnt this intended to be a 914 technical fourm?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
naro914
So for those that have an issue... can someone tell me EXACTLY what are the ONLY topics you want to see in the Garage? I guess I'm a bit confused here...
76-914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jan 30 2018, 01:30 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 30 2018, 04:12 PM) *

Well think about this, to keep the forum going maybe all "vendors" should pay an advertising fee. $1000 for the big boys and $200 for the small guys. I have no problem stepping up. Sierra Madre, AA, URO parts, and myself should be kicking in.
Fair enough. But Andy does a lot of this stuff on his dime. As long as it's not a predominately commercial site. Say the big guys get 2 direct threads a month, the others the same.

That would be fair.

I don't consider myself to be one of the big boys but I've been paying $550 a year for my advertising here for many years, and I've tried to keep sales talk to a minimum in the Garage.
I remember when the topic of Banner Ads was discussed at length and it was decided the Banners were a good and unobtrusive way to allow vendors to advertise on the forum.
Seems to me the Member Vendor Forum and the Banner Ads should be sufficient on a non-commercially oriented discussion forum.

I'm at least mildly offended by your regular use of the Garage Forum to hawk your wares. I was already feeling that it was inappropriate and then you announced a "group buy" of a product that I've had on the market for more than a few years. The last straw for me was the "x of 200" numbering you started using this year.

Chris, I for one would like to see you post more often. A couple of times when searching for a product another member has pointed out to me that "X" is an item you offer. I should spend more time searching through our member vendors but the fact is I don't. Plus, I like hearing and learning from "in the know" vendors such as yourself. Your probably overworked and don't have much time to post but it is appreciated when you find the time to do so. Kent beerchug.gif
BeatNavy
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 1 2018, 05:22 PM) *

Chris, I for one would like to see you post more often. A couple of times when searching for a product another member has pointed out to me that "X" is an item you offer. I should spend more time searching through our member vendors but the fact is I don't. Plus, I like hearing and learning from "in the know" vendors such as yourself. Your probably overworked and don't have much time to post but it is appreciated when you find the time to do so. Kent beerchug.gif

agree.gif I've always been pleased when I deal with Tangerine. I don't personally know Chris, but I sense he is somewhat reticent to "shill" -- which I can respect, but I agree with Kent. We like to hear from him and we usually benefit when we do. His reticence is one reason I'll shill for him on his behalf smile.gif

And here I had told myself I would stay out of this thread.... dry.gif

FWIW, for the record, I'm not really bothered by the GB's in the garage. I greatly appreciate what 914Rubber has done for us as well.
iankarr
I spend 85% of my time in the garage, maybe 5% each in the sandbox, vendor forums and classifieds. The sandbox needs to exist separately so we can log on from work or in front of the wife wink.gif. We need a classifieds section so listings don't get buried. Same for vendors. But the garage moves fast enough to purge itself from any post taking up front page real estate for very long.

Personally, I'm not at all bothered by any vendor posting a GB or inquiring about interest for a part in the garage. It's the best way to reach the most people and / or gather the most info. Which only benefits us, as a community. And that's everyone's goal here, no?

I think the problem–if there is one– is that the "rules" are unclear or are evolving. So people like Chris or Garold feel as if they're crossing a line by posting about a product, while Mark may not. That doesn't make anyone wrong or right...just points out the shades of gray.

In my opinion, we don't need to banish vendors to their own forum. Instead, we need to come up with super clear standards. For example...GBs and polls to gauge interest are totally fine in the garage...all other promotional offers are not. Or something to that effect.

Just my .02. But I've been sniffing a lot of VOCs lately.
ConeDodger
Chris, you need to hawk your wares. I was not aware of 3/4 of what you sell. I visited your site last night. I’d bet 914Rubber wasn’t aware they were stepping on a product you were already selling either.
A little self promotion wouldn’t hurt. I hadn’t visited your site since I bought your headers. Didn’t think you did anything else.
mepstein
Andy said he’s comfortable with the status quo so aren’t we done here?
JamesM
QUOTE(914werke @ Jan 28 2018, 01:04 PM) *

More & more I'm seeing the "Garage" being used to solicit sales for various of our member vendors instead of helping members fix problems, impart knowledge & generally discuss 914 related news experience ID parts & the like.
We have a section devoted for Member Vendors ~ don't we ?
I understand the occasional crossover where customers need help or provide a (unbiased) reviews but cant we keep the introductions / group buys ect contained to the forum section CREATED for that purpose?

Flame on popcorn[1].gif

Says the pot to the kettle...

How is this post technical in any way?
poke.gif

Honestly think i prefer the group buy posts over the conflict inciting posts.
Krieger
Come on page 7! I know we can keep this thread alive!

popcorn[1].gif
Krieger

popcorn[1].gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 1 2018, 10:28 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

barf.gif
sb914
Let this thread die!
malcolm2
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 2 2018, 12:28 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

As long as the "vendors" also have 914s then they should be allowed to post anything anywhere.

I like the fact that if I have a thread going. Trying to repair something, then Mikey, or Garold or Chris or Spoke or Tim_ND, etc..... chime in and help or suggest that they have the fix to sell me (even George...). I usually buy it. It seems that MOST of the folks with the knowledge we need, have developed things to sell. Ain't capitalism great?

With the exception of the Group Buys, these guys usually are contributors, vs Thread Starters. I for one approve of the GB posts here.

Have a nice weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.