Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: idle too low when warm ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
my idle is too low when warm, cold idle is perfect ...

now i'm not a carb guy ...

should i just turn up the idle so it's a bit high cold but ok warm? is that how it works?
confused24.gif Andy
redshift
Yes... that would work, or you could adjust it when it's cold, then again when it's hot... everytime.

smile.gif

M
SirAndy
QUOTE (redshift @ May 31 2005, 10:29 PM)
Yes... that would work, or you could adjust it when it's cold, then again when it's hot... everytime.

idea.gif

you think there would be a market for a cockpit adjustable idle for dual carbs ???
cool_shades.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
I used to run a well worn Holley in a pumped up Chevelle that did that also.

My auto shop teacher looked at it and deduced the butterfly valve was gummed up a little and worn. It was an old beater carb but after taking the thing apart and cleaning/fine tuning the throttle plates, it actually cleared up.

dont know if that helps but there's my 2 cents.... =-)
Joe Ricard
Well it could be thatyou have a vacuum leak cold and once the motor heats the leak is sealed. Ah never mnd I think I just pulled that out my ass. I just really don't know unless I got to tweak on it. Obviously something is askew if you run through the entire carb synch thing I wrote yesterday that might fix it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 1 2005, 01:32 AM)
you think there would be a market for a cockpit adjustable idle for dual carbs ???

Porsche thought so when they added the hand throttle lever to the /6's ...

that's what it's for - adjust idle warm, keep it running with the hand throttle. if yours is idling perfectly cold and too slow hot, you might want to kick back a size on the idle jets or turn in the idle mixture screws "some" ...
rhodyguy
if your car idles a bit high when cold and settles down to 900-950 when warm, i'd say you're good to go andy. no sneezing thru the carbs?, no back firing?, tanish plugs?, drive on man.

k
nebreitling
agree.gif

if it raises more than 200 or 250 rpms cold to hot, you might have a problem. other wise, adjust it a bit and drive on.

i've got a sync tool if you need it.
rhodyguy
i'd like to know the trick to getting the car to idle a bit high when cold and settle down when warm. just like f.i. huh.gif . i have to feather the pedal on cold start up. mine works the opposite, low cold idle climbing to 950 or so when warm.

k
nebreitling
you're right. dyslexic flare-up!!! edited my post.
rhodyguy
it was early in the am. check this out. note the chevy electric door lock acutator(?). dry.gif .

k
Aaron Cox
electronic chokes?

very cool! laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.