Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corrosion Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
Everyone on this board should be intimately familiar. biggrin.gif
I thought we could try to aggregate solutions.

Sawsall
Torch
Blasting
Chemicals
Vibratory

You get the idea smile.gif

1st question: Apple Cider Vinegar ? Cheap readily available, effective?
What % (strength) is necessary? Pitfalls?

rolleyes.gif
mepstein
ACV - works well for me. Cheap and non toxic. Doesn’t bother my wife if a bucket sits in the garage. You can use full strength or dilute with water. I just drop the parts in a bucket and let sit for a couple days or longer if needed. Wash with water and then paint, powder coat, ect. The bare metal will rust very quickly so spray with wd-40 if you are going to let sit. It worked great for cleaning out my motorcycle tanks and getting parts ready for plating.
914werke
Does it do anything to Alum?
beech4rd
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 2 2018, 09:10 PM) *

Does it do anything to Alum?

Not sure about aluminum but it will eat pot metal. I tossed a rusted fog light into my bucket of vinegar and the mounting bracket dissolved.
Mikey914
Acid is used as a pretreatment for plating. It opens up pours and cleans well. Just don’t leave in too long.
wndsrfr
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 2 2018, 05:53 PM) *

Sawsall
Torch
Blasting
Chemicals
Vibratory

You get the idea....

rolleyes.gif

How about rollback?! lol-2.gif
worn
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Feb 2 2018, 05:53 PM) *

Sawsall
Torch
Blasting
Chemicals
Vibratory

You get the idea smile.gif

1st question: Apple Cider Vinegar ? Cheap readily available, effective?
What % (strength) is necessary? Pitfalls?

rolleyes.gif

That uses the same mechanism as phosphoric acid. The phosphoric acid leaves a bit of iron phosphate on the metal, so there is a slight delay in rusting after treatment.
Elliot Cannon
Apple cider vinegar is also good to treat muscle cramps. A teaspoon in a glass of water. beer3.gif
bretth
ACV kills warts too. Put a little under a bandaid and it turns black within day.
burton73
Eric at PMB Performance told me he uses Ketchup to clean fuse blocks. It has vinegar in it. I took the block and put it in white vinegar and soaked it a little and then brushed it with a medium brush washed it off and blow-dried with an air gun.

Used a contact spray for relays. I use a tiger grit wheel for some stuff with 220 grit in the bristles for bolts and such.

Bob B
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Yep. White vinager. A couple hours and then scrub clean with an old tooth brush, soap and water
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.