Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Return fuel line with carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
Are any of you running a retun fuel line with carbs?
struckn
I'm not running a return line...actually I had Translog GT replace the Plastic Lines with Stainless and they put the Stainless feed line in but left the return line in, disconnected, should the car ever need it in the future.
brant
Yes.

A return fuel line in s a good thing.
Keeps the fuel entering the carb cooler
Potentially more up and less vapor lock

Perhaps not noticeable but? Still better andthere is a reason all factory systems use a return
Larmo63
On a six with Webers, I'm not sure how it works?

Splain? blink.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 3 2018, 10:05 PM) *

On a six with Webers, I'm nt sure how it works?

Splain? blink.gif

agree.gif
Where would the return line attach to on the carbs?
porschetub
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2018, 04:05 PM) *

Splain? blink.gif

agree.gif tell us more????.
mmascari
QUOTE(porschetub @ Feb 3 2018, 09:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 4 2018, 04:05 PM) *

Splain? blink.gif

agree.gif tell us more????.

I guess its not needed on a six but I am running a fuel pressure regulator that has a return on it so I have it connected back to the gas tank.
brant
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Feb 3 2018, 08:05 PM) *

On a six with Webers, I'm not sure how it works?

Splain? blink.gif

Krieger
To be clear the rectangle is the filter. Circle is the pump. Triangle/ hex is the regulator. Right Brant?
gothspeed
I like option E with double barb banjos on the carbs smile.gif
But it would depend on the type and range of regulator. Second choice would be option D with a Y feeding carbs.
lonewolfe
I have Dellorto carbs so one has the menu intake line & a double banjo that then feeds the second carb. I was thing if both carbs had double banjo’s that the second outlet on the the slave carb could run as a return line. Do you guys think that would work ok? I do not believe my fuel pressure regulator has an option for a return line.
bbrock
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Feb 4 2018, 11:21 PM) *

But it would depend on the type and range of regulator. Send choice would be optio D with a Y feeding carbs.

To make sure I understand correctly, C and D would require a bypass style regulator while B and E would use blocking type. Do I have that right?
gothspeed
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 5 2018, 06:27 AM) *

But it would depend on the type and range of regulator. Second choice would be option D with a Y feeding carbs.

To make sure I understand correctly, C and D would require a bypass style regulator while B and E would use blocking type. Do I have that right?

Yes, there are regulators that 'send out' a regulated target pressure (inline) and some that 'bleed out' anything over your target pressure (return). smile.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 5 2018, 10:27 AM) *

But it would depend on the type and range of regulator. Send choice would be optio D with a Y feeding carbs.

Yes, except that in option B the upstream regulator is useless. A blocking regulator is needed downstream.

We had a 914 here recently which came with a single carb that had an internal regulator. It needed the return line to work.
Otherwise I don't think I've ever seen a 914 with a carb setup in my shop (other than stock 914-6) that used a return line.
anderssj
I've been running dual dell's with an "option C" return line since the early 1980s . . . works well. smile.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 5 2018, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 5 2018, 10:27 AM) *

Yes, except that in option B the upstream regulator is useless. A blocking regulator is needed downstream.

We had a 914 here recently which came with a single carb that had an internal regulator. It needed the return line to work.
Otherwise I don't think I've ever seen a 914 with a carb setup in my shop (other than stock 914-6) that used a return line.

And that answers my next question about option B biggrin.gif I'm planning to run a return line on my carbed /4. I might want to switch back to FI in the future so it seems like a good way to future-proof the setup. Plus, I like the idea of a return line anyway.
brant
QUOTE(Krieger @ Feb 4 2018, 09:59 PM) *

To be clear the rectangle is the filter. Circle is the pump. Triangle/ hex is the regulator. Right Brant?

correct
Socalandy
covered here, im running tangerine lines with PMO regulator. Works great aktion035.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=246855
North Coast Jim
No return line in use with 44 IDFs. Car runs great after sorting out the jetting issues. I used the tunnel grommets to run a 2 conductor wire for power as the fuel pump was relocated to the front under the gravel panel.
1adam12
What's up guys! I just purchased a pair of Dell 40's which I'm currently rebuilding at the moment. I like the idea of running a fuel return for 1.7 as some have discussed but my question has to do with the fuel pump and regulator set up. Can you run a low pressure (rotary style) fuel pump i.e. (CB Performance / Carter) with Option E and delete the regulator from the drawing? Or would I need to keep a high pressure set up with a good aftermarket regulator like Mallory ect. to make up for the amount of flow for the return and not flood the carbs?
rhodyguy
Get the self regulated carter pump. Keep it simple. Put the return line in the tunnel while you're in there so it's ready if you go back to fi. Cap both ends, the return spigot on the tank and leave it alone. Single supply to a Tee in the engine compartment. One line to each carb. Keep the carb lines off of the engine tin. Stock phenolic spacers under the intakes help with the heat. Some expensive hp pump, a gauge and regulator?
bbrock
QUOTE(1adam12 @ Feb 21 2018, 10:03 AM) *

What's up guys! I just purchased a pair of Dell 40's which I'm currently rebuilding at the moment. I like the idea of running a fuel return for 1.7 as some have discussed but my question has to do with the fuel pump and regulator set up. Can you run a low pressure (rotary style) fuel pump i.e. (CB Performance / Carter) with Option E and delete the regulator from the drawing? Or would I need to keep a high pressure set up with a good aftermarket regulator like Mallory ect. to make up for the amount of flow for the return and not flood the carbs?

It looks to me like E would work with either a high or low pressure pump, but you would need the regulator regardless. Otherwise, you'd just be circulating fuel around with no pressure built up beyond what little the resistance in the return tube would provide. It also seems like a low pressure pump would be better. But I have no actual experience with these, I'm just thinking through the plumbing.
rgolia
Not sure I get the return line need/benefit with carbs. I have driven a carbed 914 2.0 for over 70,000 miles with no return line and never had a problem. That includes driving from San Jose CA to New York City during August 1984....and I was in a rush too. Now, the first 70,000 miles I put on my 914 with fuel injection is another story....had a few extended sit and waits on the side of the road back then. smile.gif
bbrock
This is just from what I've read on the Internets, and we all know how infallible those Internet experts are.. but there are potentially 3 benefits, none of which would make the car necessarily run better. These are:

1. It keeps cool fuel flowing to the carbs (okay, that might make it run better if vapor locking is an issue).

2. Pump doesn't have to work as hard since excess pressure is bled off in fuel sent back to the tank. Theoretically, the pump might last longer.

3. Return line is there in case you ever go back to FI.

Little things, but fussing over these cars is part of the fun. beerchug.gif
1adam12
Thanks
rhodyguy
bbrock
rgolia
For the input. I guess it's another debate regarding cooler fuel temps to run or not run the return line with dual carb set up. Everyone seems to not have a problem with either variation of fuel line set up. I can definitely save some $$ by just getting the rotary fuel pump and just running a simple layout to the dual carbs.
1adam12
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2018, 10:53 AM) *

Get the self regulated carter pump. Keep it simple. Put the return line in the tunnel while you're in there so it's ready if you go back to fi. Cap both ends, the return spigot on the tank and leave it alone. Single supply to a Tee in the engine compartment. One line to each carb. Keep the carb lines off of the engine tin. Stock phenolic spacers under the intakes help with the heat. Some expensive hp pump, a gauge and regulator?

On the dual dells, one carb has a dual union fuel inlet and the other a single. Is the dual union originally for the return or to daisy chain from to the second carb. I know you mentioned about using a "T" on the fuel line to the carbs but just wondering the function of the dual inlet union. **Sorry guys I'm ordering the Dellorto Tech Guide tonight**
brant
also...

I've run many a rotary or low pressure pump with return line systems
so no need to buy a special pump

I would add... in theory at least... the cooler fuel promotes more hp
so because my application is a race car, its worth the additional effort. I also use insulated sheeting/wrap on my fuel lines in the engine bay... same idea... cooler fuel.

race cars often run fuel cooling canisters... I know I briefly had a spec R7 and those were considered mandatory for hot rotary engines running at altitude. also note that we have a race in Colorado at Snowmass - aspen... I don't know the altitude... but probably 8000 ft? altitude effects cooling... air mass effects cooling... anything that could prevent a problem is worth considering

not something you may be able to feel
but why did the factory go with a return line on the 914/6 ?
all cars made in the last 30 years use return lines

I can not tell any difference with or without the return on my fuel line when judged by seat of the pants.... however any and everything that could be better is worth considering.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.