Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 GT roll bar questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Are there actual dimensions followed for the GT roll bars installed in the GT cars?

Looking at this picture it looks like the side bars are longer and mounted further ahead on the longs and lower at the hoop than other pictures I have seen.

It could just be the angle of the picture as well?

Reason for asking is I have a friend that bought a 22 foot length tube for me which is too long for me to transport. He is going to cut the tube to fit in my truck, without wasting too much material how long should we rough cut the side pieces?

Ideally how far up on the hoop from the longs should they be attached?

Same question for the bars that attach to the inside of the hoop up top and to the rear firewall. It seems in pictures there are attached in multiple places and angles.
(hope Mark doesn't mind me using his picture smile.gif )

Click to view attachment

(hope Mark doesn't mind me using his picture below smile.gif )
Click to view attachment

Mocking up the bar in my car:
Click to view attachment
tygaboy
Mike - I'm glad you can put that bar to use!

I'd copy what McMark did (maybe he'll share some measurements?) but in the end, just be sure you're comfortable with in/out access with the door bars and head clearance on those upper bars. Note all that padding, too.

Keep us posted as you make progress...
Mueller
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 5 2018, 08:29 AM) *

Mike - I'm glad you can put that bar to use!

I'd copy what McMark did (maybe he'll share some measurements?) but in the end, just be sure you're comfortable with in/out access with the door bars and head clearance on those upper bars. Note all that padding, too.

Keep us posted as you make progress...

Thanks again, it fits great. I will trim the lower portion a tad for the plates, but I was able to put the top on and access the locks with no problem and there is enough room for the padding for the targa top to fit as well.
gms
The green car pictured above is a later conversion so the accuracy of the bar is questionable. I can tell you that the roll bar in the homoligation papers had no side bars.

Click to view attachment
Mueller
QUOTE(gms @ Feb 6 2018, 05:04 AM) *

The green car pictured above is a later conversion so the accuracy of the bar is questionable. I can tell you that the roll bar in the homoligation papers had no side bars.

Click to view attachment

Thanks, that is close enough for me then. I will just test a few heights and go with what feels and looks goid.
BuddyV
I have one of McMark's GT bars, complete set up.... haven't gotten around to installing it.

You are free to take measurements off it if you want to take a little drive up to Santa Rosa.

beerchug.gif
Bills914-4
QUOTE(Mueller @ Feb 5 2018, 11:04 AM) *

Are there actual dimensions followed for the GT roll bars installed in the GT cars?

Looking at this picture it looks like the side bars are longer and mounted further ahead on the longs and lower at the hoop than other pictures I have seen.

It could just be the angle of the picture as well?

Reason for asking is I have a friend that bought a 22 foot length tube for me which is too long for me to transport. He is going to cut the tube to fit in my truck, without wasting too much material how long should we rough cut the side pieces?

Ideally how far up on the hoop from the longs should they be attached?

Same question for the bars that attach to the inside of the hoop up top and to the rear firewall. It seems in pictures there are attached in multiple places and angles.
(hope Mark doesn't mind me using his picture smile.gif )

Click to view attachment

(hope Mark doesn't mind me using his picture below smile.gif )
Click to view attachment

Mocking up the bar in my car:
Click to view attachment

Careful with those diagonal door bars, I had those in mine , it was uncomfortable
getting in and out especially with the top on, I ended up changing them to this
with a kit I got from jegs , I cut pieces from both ends to get the curve I wanted
then used the extras as you can see for extra bracing , Bill D.
mine is just for street , idea was to add a little more strength to the chassis ?

www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/Jegster-Pro-Street-Door-Bars/756837/10002/-1

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Feb 6 2018, 08:40 PM) *

I have one of McMark's GT bars, complete set up.... haven't gotten around to installing it.

You are free to take measurements off it if you want to take a little drive up to Santa Rosa.

beerchug.gif

BuddyV - Thanks for the offer!

Mike - Let me know if I can help. I'd be happy to run up to grab the measurements...
Chris
Mueller
QUOTE(WLD419 @ Feb 7 2018, 03:08 AM) *

Careful with those diagonal door bars, I had those in mine , it was uncomfortable
getting in and out especially with the top on, I ended up changing them to this
with a kit I got from jegs , I cut pieces from both ends to get the curve I wanted
then used the extras as you can see for extra bracing , Bill D.
mine is just for street , idea was to add a little more strength to the chassis ?

www.jegs.com/p/Jegster/Jegster-Pro-Street-Door-Bars/756837/10002/-1

Thanks, that has to offer some strengthening over no tubes at all. Might have to do some testing when I get to that part of my build.

Larmo63
Check out Eric Shea's roll bar too, it looks proper.
Mueller
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 7 2018, 07:12 AM) *

QUOTE(BuddyV @ Feb 6 2018, 08:40 PM) *

beerchug.gif

BuddyV - Thanks for the offer!

Mike - Let me know if I can help. I'd be happy to run up to grab the measurements...
Chris

In my never ending changing of the mind, I like Bills solution. Car is not going to be a GT clone so who cares how accurate it is. smile.gif
Alphaogre
I put a kink in mine for ease of getting in and out. Just an idea... I would say, if you are not going to be doing concourse shows where accuracy is judged, make sure to factor usability and reality into the mix biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Cracker
MIke - Much like Chris is ending up with in the RaceRod...a ladder type low slung bar tied into the rocker in at least three places works wonders. Mine wasn't PERFECT like his but did the job - amazing improvement in chassis stiffness and how that translates to instantaneously putting power to the ground.

Tony

Franky_Four_Fingers
Is anyone producing these bars anymore, either bolt-in or as a kit?
ValcoOscar
Me too...

I would also be interested in a bolt in kit like the one WLD419 posted.

Kit is fine, probably better for shipping. I can weld it. I just don't want to mess with dimensions. I do enough of that.

idea.gif can make some??? tygaboy (Chris) poke.gif
Larmo63
Oscar, McMark is your guy on these.......

He made the one in the picture.

I would welcome the extra chassis stiffening these would afford......
tygaboy
agree.gif
Go with McMark, or may be hit up Chris Foley.
They have actual businesses for this sort of thing so I say let's support them. Plus, I'm mildly allergic to deadlines! biggrin.gif

The bar I gave to Mueller was originally going in my car and when I went a different way, I was happy see it go to a good home.

Now, all that said, if someone was to come to the June 2 fab workshop and wanted some help bending up the bars, well... I'd be happy to help!

Seriously, I'm a big fan of communities where everyone helps where they can and I much prefer making stuff and giving it away or helping folks "do it themselves".
Cracker
My current car came with a cage by Racer Chris/Tangerine Racing...like most anything, it was modified and enhanced to better serve my intended use and fitment.

Cracker
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.