Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank bottom fitting removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
I have a fuel tank bottom fitting removal question if I may-I have removed the nuts in the picture below but the actual winds don't want to move. Am I correct in understanding that it's likely just a few over and just holding them in place and I can gently tap them loose, or is there a better way to remove these?

Anyone need a fuel tank in SoCal? No extra charge for the varnish gas that's inside it. This is from the 1971 donor car.

Thanks!
iankarr
Tapping is probably all you need to free them. There should be washers between the pipe rim and the thread. Maybe shoot it with some penetrating oil first?
iankarr
double post
Tdskip
Thanks Ian
johnhora
Ian...

Hopefully this picture will give you a better idea of what your dealing with...

the two top parts are the suction line side going to the fuel pump
the two bottom parts are the return line side

the second from the top still has the copper strainer "sock" on it

soak the fittings well and then take a knife/box cutter and go around and around the area where they meet the tank.

As you can see the third from the top still has the paper washer on it....this is the area where you need to place the knife/box cutter.

Take your time and you will get them off and not brake anything...

Good Luck!

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Very helpful, thank you for the additional help Ian.
kahluver
Tom - I literally had the same problem with the tank I just sold you. I ended up drenching wd40 inside the tank at the fittings as they were rusted to the tank. AFter a few days, they came right off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.