Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank Sealer Red Kote
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lucky9146
This is suppose to be the best product on the market.

Click to view attachment

I had this done at my go to radiator shop locally about 2 years ago and when I had it boiled out and some welding done. Now keep in mind I am just now getting to the point of firing this car up for the first time so NO GAS was in the tank until now. After putting some fuel in, as a precautionary check, I decided to drain some fuel from the tank to see what ever I could from the drained fuel and it had a reddish tinge.

Called Damon Inc the manufacturer, this morning and spoke to the technical people and was told this is normal just the die coming off and will cause no harm they get this call all the time. BUT if were RED then that would be a problem. The red dye added to the coating to allow you to visually see that you have it fully coated vs. having it clear and not being able to tell the coverage.

Looking for input from anyone here who has actually used this product.
Thanks
white914.jpg
saigon71
Red Kote is what the radiator shop used to seal my tank 5 years ago. I've logged about 35,000 miles since then and haven't had a single issue related to the gas tank.

In my experience, you are good to go!
mepstein
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Feb 9 2018, 11:24 AM) *

This is suppose to be the best product on the market.

Click to view attachment

I had this done at my go to radiator shop locally about 2 years ago and when I had it boiled out and some welding done. Now keep in mind I am just now getting to the point of firing this car up for the first time so NO GAS was in the tank until now. After putting some fuel in, as a precautionary check, I decided to drain some fuel from the tank to see what ever I could from the drained fuel and it had a reddish tinge.

Called Damon Inc the manufacturer, this morning and spoke to the technical people and was told this is normal just the die coming off and will cause no harm they get this call all the time. BUT if were RED then that would be a problem. The red dye added to the coating to allow you to visually see that you have it fully coated vs. having it clear and not being able to tell the coverage.

Looking for input from anyone here who has actually used this product.
Thanks
white914.jpg

Iv'e talked to people who used it on their tanks years ago and it's held up perfectly. In fact, one top race car mechanic told me its the only product he would use on his cars. The red tinged gas is normal.
Dion
Had mine done 2 years ago. Ran all summer with no issues with the
gas in the CIS system.
Some pics:
gothspeed
Thanks for posting coating info and experiences. I am considering doing this to my tank. There is no rust in there but the tank dry and sitting on the rack for over 5 years empty. I think I might try one of these methods. smile.gif
Lucky9146
Wanted to thank those who responded to this thread giving me the feedback I was really hoping for to move forward. Damon told me they receive this call of concern all the time and have not had any problems as the feedback here reinforces.

As I posted on my build thread, Damon technical folks also suggested a fill and drain of the tank (mostly for my peace of mind) to help reduce the red dye from the fuel. I am doing this and utilizing that drained fuel in my DD. Just wanted to do as much as possible to prevent any affect of the red dye on my carbs and new engine.
white914.jpg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.