Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2005 MUSR 7 Sept.1-4 Granbury,TX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
ClayPerrine
Larry,
It's going to depend on where we are when you arrive. Just call me on my cell phone and I will let you know where we are at that time.

You still have the number?
djporsche
What does MUSR stand for. smoke.gif
Joseph Mills
Mid US Ramble...

This is number 7.

Click on the MUSR 2005! link button on the upper right hand area of this page to learn the history of it and reviews of past events.

If your avatar is you, please plan on attending. biggrin.gif

Here's a pic of a previous year.

ClayPerrine
Mid-US Ramble.

It is the offical Porsche Club meet for the 914 Special Interest Group in the Mid-US area. We are a sanctioned Porsche Club Event.

djporsche
no thats paris hilton. found on the net. aktion035.gif
Joseph Mills
I thought there was something familiar about her, uh, hmmm....aw, nevermind. biggrin.gif

You're still welcome to the RAMBLE. You could hook up with Tony Chavez (cha914), who will be driving up from Austin in his Raby powered 914.
djporsche
im thinking of going even if my cars not ready. i really like the fact that you car race you car. Are there rules on the track. like a speed limit or cant pass. im saving to get my scca license. do you need that? thers not any info on the site. or i cant find it. unsure.gif
Joseph Mills
There are always people attending that can't bring their car because it's still in some project phase. Larry will be bringing his on a trailer.

There are a lot of different activities, but much of the time is just meeting & visiting with fellow 914 people and getting to know them and looking at all the cars.

You can usually catch a ride on the road tours (30-40 miles).

The event on Sunday is an autocross (AX), which is a non dangerous, timed competition that consists of individual time trials - one car at a time - no wheel to wheel - on a challenging prescribed course that emphasizes car's agility/driver's ability (and are timed to one thousandth of a second).

You can also probably snag a ride at the AX also.

The expensive Lodge rooms may be all gone at this point, but there are less expensive motels to stay at which many of us take advantage of.

So... bring it on! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
jr91472
ok, so I need a helmet for the a/x....what are the requirements / specs?

thanks
ClayPerrine
the helmet has to be a M or SA current Snell approved one. PCA (Our sanctioning body for the MUSR) has a set of loaner helmets for first time AX participants.

ehick72
Me and my special lady friend are trying to decide on wether to bring her dog. The dog is about the size of my hand. Guess my question is. Is anyone else bringing a dog? Will there be the usual complications such as places I can not take a being of the kanine persuasion.
ehick72
Being of Kanine persuasion.
dakotaewing
Eric-
There will be multiple meals where having a dog in the restraunt may be an issue due to health codes - I don't know what the hotel has to say....

Sorry for not having any better info -

Thom
ehick72
No that helps a lot. That will help us in making our decision.
Rusty
Where did our counter go? blink.gif
dakotaewing
QUOTE (Lawrence @ Aug 25 2005, 09:23 AM)
Where did our counter go?   blink.gif

It got replaced by th RRC???
What is this we s%!^ ? Thought you weren't coming.... cool_shades.gif

Thom
Rusty
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Aug 25 2005, 01:08 PM)
It got replaced by th RRC???

Yeah, I guess so. Hmmm. dry.gif

What is this we s%!^  ? Thought you weren't coming.... cool_shades.gif

It's true... I'm not. Work obligations make attendance impossible this year. sad.gif

-Rusty smoke.gif
Yellowbeard
Why oh why myst I be starting a new job Sept. 1? Oh well, maybe next year.

Was looking forward to maybe meeting some of you lot.

Some other time, I guess.

On the plus side, a new job means lots of new money, which means maybe the wife will start letting me spend some (at some point) either on Bruenhilda or even a new 914.

Don't have too much fun without me.
cha914
Ok, we are on the home stretch...looks like I will be driving in friday morning, gonna try and make the rally, but it depends on how early I get up smile.gif

It also looks like I am going to get 0 of the things done I wanted to on the car, but oh well, I might have a shot at the ugliest car this year tongue.gif

Going out to the garage now to try and quiet down my swaybar, and check the wheel bearings, clutch, change oil, and do a general nut and bolt on the car and whatever else I can think of before it gets to 1 million degrees...

anybody else doing last minute repairs/fixes/etc...?

See yall soon,

Tony smash.gif welder.gif type.gif driving.gif
jr91472
QUOTE (cha914 @ Aug 28 2005, 09:12 AM)
anybody else doing last minute repairs/fixes/etc...?

yep....

-oil change (gonna try the Royal Purple)
-fix the pax side window regulator (darn early models)
-and basically trying not to break anything before Friday biggrin.gif
dlee1967
Last minute paint project did not go as planned due to work project deadline and an out of town business trip over a weekend. The race car is now primered (still drying), but will not be painted by the MUSR7. At least Anne and I have one car to drive (her 914). I was really looking forward to trying out the new suspension, tires and engine at the autocross. Another last minute rush gone bad....at least it isn't on jack stands. (it might as well be) DLee
cha914
d,

Bring it on out anyway...I guarantee your car in primer will look better than mine cool_shades.gif

Plus then you can wow us at MUSR 8 when your car is all painted up nice smilie_pokal.gif

Anyway, sway bar has new bushings, wheel bearings are done, time to move on to the oil change, clutch adjustment, and new seat mount if I am really driven tonight ... sawzall-smiley.gif

4.5 days and counting...

Tony
JWest
I'm going to crash the car show/swap meet on Saturday. See you there!
Red-Beard
I'm going to try to fix my Valdez before coming...

I did sort out the wiring today. Tach works properly now and the wiring looks a little better...no more temp wire nuts.

And yeah, David, no alligator clips....

And I tuned the carbs, virtually perfect.
Red-Beard
Hey! Where in Houston can I get a helmet for Autocross?
dlee1967
Pro-Am on Richmond can hook you up. Ask for David. DLee
ClayPerrine
5+ years and I was up last night fixing some rear bearing problems. Got that taken care of, but I still need to install the targa top side seals and get the car inspected.

I am concentrating on things that would keep me from bringing the car. It won't be perfect, but it will be there.

I was at Wes Hildreth's shop yesterday. One of the MUSR guys, Dennis Carter, had a noisy transmission. Rich Johnson and I pulled it so Wes could rebuild it. Funny thing about this is that Dennis' car looks almost exactly like mine.

cha914
Dennis had the red car on the trailer last year right? So we will have dueling flared red 6's this year tongue.gif

I got the seat mount about half finished, hopefully my order of fatmat will come in today...I really don't want to have to wear ear plugs again this year tongue.gif

Tony
ClayPerrine
Yep.. we are going to have bookends....

Mine is better. Dennis has fiberglass rockers and valences, mine are custom flared steel. Plus mine has MFI rather than carbs.

Last year I helped Dennis wire his taillights in the parking lot.

Joseph Mills
There is a slight chance that I will be able to attend part of MUSR after all!

I'm looking at an engine this evening, and depending on various factors, I may have it installed by Friday. However, I'm not going to rush anything.

I'd sure love to come down and defend my 1st place AX finish from last year. biggrin.gif

But if I don't make it... here's what got in my way. sad.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Aug 30 2005, 12:56 PM)
There is a slight chance that I will be able to attend part of MUSR after all!

I'm looking at an engine this evening, and depending on various factors, I may have it installed by Friday. However, I'm not going to rush anything.

I'd sure love to come down and defend my 1st place AX finish from last year. biggrin.gif

But if I don't make it... here's what got in my way. sad.gif

ohmy.gif

dropped valve through the piston?!
Joseph Mills
Something along that line. But not a dropped valve seat. The valve spring retainer "may" have failed. But anyway that engine is history for me.

I do have one perfectly good rebuilt head for sale (passenger side, Cy#3&4). Plus a hot Isky cam w/lifters. biggrin.gif

jr91472
QUOTE (joseph222 @ Aug 30 2005, 10:15 AM)
Something along that line. But not a dropped valve seat. The valve spring retainer "may" have failed. But anyway that engine is history for me.

I do have one perfectly good rebuilt head for sale (passenger side, Cy#3&4). Plus a hot Isky cam w/lifters. biggrin.gif

I like your attitude smilie_pokal.gif

Here's hoping you make it beer.gif
dlee1967
Looks like the movies will be March of the Penguins and after an intermission (so you can check your rear brake venting clearance) they will show War of the Worlds. Who is bringing the jackstands?

http://www.thebrazos.com/showinfo.htm
dakotaewing
QUOTE (dlee1967 @ Aug 31 2005, 11:42 AM)
Looks like the movies will be March of the Peguins and after an intermission (so you can check your rear brake venting clearance) they will show War of the Worlds.  Who is bringing the jackstands?    

http://www.thebrazos.com/showinfo.htm

Jackstands, Jack, welder, tools, 1000 watt lights, tub....

Just need to find a trailer to bring it on....

See you guys tomorrow....

TE
Joseph Mills
Picked up my engine late last night. It's a beauty! Really set up nice. rolleyes.gif

Put together by an accomplished gearhead. Way to nice to rush thru getting it in the car for this weekend. I'm going to take my time and do it right! Hate to miss ya'll, but that looks to be the deal. I'll be working on it while the rest of you are playing!

Have fun! And maybe I'll see some of you at Talimena2! beer.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Aug 31 2005, 05:56 PM)

See you guys tomorrow....

TE

Should hear from the bank in the AM about the loan on the house so I can gas up the suburban enough to make it out there SAT. lol2.gif lol2.gif See you guys there biggrin.gif
cha914
whew...car is packed and ready to rock! I got about two weeks worth of stuff done in a day and a half. Some day I will learn how to plan my time out. headbang.gif

Now I just need to whip out that brand new credit card so I will be able to "afford" the gas to dallas and back...geeze... wacko.gif

Since I am heading up tomorrow after work I will be seeing you guys bright and early friday morning.

Tony

driving.gif
ehick72
Well it looks like I am not going to be able to make the rally this year. I have my car way too torn down to get it back together and make it up to Granbury. Hope yall have fun.

Eric
jr91472
All,

Look for me sometime Friday afternoon. Clay, I have your cell and will call to see where you guys are at.

lookin forward to it!!!!
ClayPerrine
Just finished washing and waxing the cars so we can leave in about 2 hours. Going to stop and get lunch on the way down.

See y'all there!!!!

tat2dphreak
wish I could be there... ya'll have fun, and be safe! smilie_pokal.gif
spare time toys
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Sep 2 2005, 12:37 PM)
wish I could be there... ya'll have fun, and be safe! smilie_pokal.gif

Enjoy your move. Ill see you sunday with your shirt. Larry
ClayPerrine
MUSR Update!

Well the MUSR started out good. I was able to drive my /6 conversion all the way to Granbury without a hitch. Even the oil temp problem that was bugging me was fixed. The only problem I had was that I put too tall of a 5th gear in the transmission. It won't go uphill below 75 mph without losing speed or downshifting to 4th.

Last night we did a tour to dinner. Thom Ewing rode with me, and we went and saw the smallest state park in Texas. Then we proceeded to the site where TCU started. On the way there I lost the clutch in my car. While checking it out, I managed to burn my arm. The pull type clutch pulled the pivot out of the transmission case, so my car is here at the hotel, and it will stay there until the car show. After the car show it goes home on a trailer.

We just got back from the rally (an all day gimmic rally) and the behind the scenes tour of Fossil Rim Wildlife park. We had Giraffes sticking their heads in the van with us!!!!

Well, we are off to the tech quiz.... Picts will be posted later. I am on dialup here at the hotel. It would take forever to upload like that.

dlee1967
Wow, this event was well run, on time and packed with activities. The only downside was that there was so little time for sleep. I want to thank Charlie and Teri Davis and all of the others involved in organizing this event. They even got my wife to give autocross a try and now she is hooked!

There were very few mechanical difficulties with cars that couldn't be overcome and it was even a struggle to award the infamous "Crimson Shaft" award for the boneheaded move of the weekend.

I've posted a number of large pictures and two short films of portions of the event.

http://www.davidclee.com/MUSR7
http://www.davidclee.com/MUSR7carshow.wmv
http://www.davidclee.com/FossilRim.wmv

We had a great time and look forward to seeing all of our new friends next year. You never know....maybe Thom will show us proof that he actually does have a 914 in the garage at home. (just a jab....I can't give him too hard a time as he did get me to the parts store to pick up a new breather for the car after we spit one out during the autocross)

David Lee, Houston, TX
cooltimes
Thanks for sharing the photos and the 2 movies. Lots of angles we haven't seen before in the photos too. This is sure to be the best example for all auto SIG photography to follow.

MUSR 7. It looked like a smaller group gets to do more. Super nice 914's too. Beautiful area.

Including those animals in the movie and photos was a great treat. People like me who didn't get to go are going to be kicking their their own butts for a long time for missing this MUSR.

Thanks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.