Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you buy this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redbaron
Complete 2.0 motor with fan housing, injection, tin, throttle body, coil, distributor etc. etc.
Problem is I don't have much time with it maybe just a leak down test then my decision.
What would you do in a few minutes to get an almost informed opinion of the motor.
Seller has had it in his garage and after a few years is selling, says it ran well before it came out. it was going into a van and now that project is dead.
I will turn it over with a pry bar, then do a leak down, any other ideas.
I think $200 canadian dollars is reasonable even if it didn't run, however it means more parts in the yard that I have to explain to the wife.
More likely to fly with her if the thing did run.

Joe Bob
If it's a REAL 2.0...three bolt heads....the heads rebuilt are worth 600 bucks USD...more w/o a core exchange.
redbaron
I am looking at it this afternoon, I have my engine numbers list to make sure it is 2.0
I currently have a 1.8 that needs a lot of work so that's why the interest in this.
How would injection go? which do I use, my current 1.8 or the set up on the motor?, or do I just slap my carbs on and wait for 6 conversion time?
Sooo many questions, soo little knowledge.
Joe Bob
Like I said...if the heads have three bolts where the intake bolts on. It's a real 2.0 914 motor.

A lot of people say...yeah, it's a 2.0...then you point out the heads and then they say....oh it's got a big bore kit...or it's a bus 2.0 or some other bullcrap....no three bolt heads...it's a $100 USD core.

As to FI....the 2.0 has D-jet FI, the 1.8 has L-jet. Different system....they can be swapped with work.

Carbs WILL work....no big performance gain if any....gas mileage will go down, cold start issues....if the stock D-jet is saveable use it....
redbaron
pic
SLITS
Your current injection system will not fit the 3 bolt heads. You would have to change the runners.

If you can bolt a tranny and starter to it, I would at least run a cold compression test on it.

If ff$200 CDN is equal to $400 US, it 's worth it if it turns over. And you should be able to turn it over by hand without a bar ( pair of gloves and turn it by the ring gear).

EDIT: That has all the ear markings of a 1.7........walk, no, run away.....Count the studs on the heads, but that is a 1.7 layout
redbaron
$200 candian is about $160usd on a good day.
The engine numbers will be checked first and then valve covers are coming off or are the studs visible?
I'm looking for that diamond in the rough.
davep
Slits is correct, looks like a 1.7, 72 and earlier. Probably an EA or W code engine.
Mark Henry
Look for where the intake manifold bolts to the head...3 bolts good...4 bolts and it's not worth your time.

Someone could have also swaped a 1.8 into it...if the head part number (under the rockers) ends with an "S" then the heads are worth a couple of bucks (if no cracks), but still $200 would be high for a core.
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE (redbaron @ Jun 2 2005, 07:49 AM)

The engine numbers will be checked first and then valve covers are coming off or are the studs visible?

Just to make it really clear, as Mark said you need to see how many bolts are holding the intake runners on, 3=2L 4=not.

I will also say from the pics that it looks a lot like the 1.7 that came out of my car.
Rhodes71/914
Looking at that pic again the throttle body and air filter stand are 1.7L. Check out the injectors - yellow are 1.7, green are 2.0.
redbaron
Well then! It seems my parade may be rained on soon.
Anyone in Canada have a 2.0 cheap?
redbaron
Parade officially rained out.

4 bolts headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Tab914
Hi Keith!

That looks like a vw bus engine. Am I right or wrong about that? Where is the engine I might be interested.

Thanks
Bleyseng
yep, a 1.7l outta 71-72 914. Its no bus motor as the dipstick is on top, 914 tin, yadda yadda yadda. wink.gif stromberg.gif
F4i
Hi Keith. Do you know Bob in Canmore? 2.0 red with fender flares. He might have some stuff lying around. I haven't had a chance to talk to him in a couple of years though. You also might want to try John Cattle in Calgary. His company is called German Auto dismantlers (I think) It' in th yellow pages under parts. Oh, and I have to ask Do you know Mike from Canmore ?wink.gif
GWN7
Mike from Canmore is no more, but will live on in reruns. sad.gif
Tab914
Actually Mike from Canmore is alive and kicking. The actor portraying him on the show has although passed away. The character "Mike" is based on an actual person from Canmore who by the way IS quite a character. He works for a beer line cleaning company (they install and maintain draft beer systems) and comes up here to do service on our beer lines. Quite the funny guy. beer.gif
Mark Henry
ohmy.gif You work on a beer line!

MY BUDDY!!!!

Mmmmmm...beer

drunk.gif
Tab914
I wish!! I hear those guys are allowed to drink on the job. They have a beer allocation per day. No, I don't work on a beer line. I work at a ski resort and we sell draft beer here. The beer lines I am talking about are the lines that conect the beer kegs to the beer taps mounted on the bar. They come in with special containers they conect to the lines to run water and a special soap to clean the inside of the lines so that your beer always tastes like it should..........nice and fresh. Getting thirsty now. Talk to ya later.

Cheers, Dominic. beerchug.gif
redbaron
Heard of Bob, never seen him or the red 914 would like to though.
Thanks for the German parts dismantlers' lead. I will check on it.
Sudddeny have a beer craving.

Keith
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.