Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: -6 Lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I am going to be putting a six in the car (finally) and would like some advice on the oil line arrangement. Have a non-stock 12 quart oil tank with -16 AN fittings that will be mounted where passengers used to sit OR in the back trunk area (which is cut out). Also will install a mecha-gold filter or similar. What mods are needed to the engine to make this work? Anyone have some good pics/instructions for this?

Thanks!
Bill
Joe Bob
-12AN or -10AN are the norm on /6 conversions....the engine has a few 30mm Porsche fittings that need to be converted or cut and welded with AN nipples. Then you build the lines around where you mount the tank and external cooler...if you use one...
I have a patrick motorsports cooler up front. Sorry if I am short on specifics - just trying to find out the right way(s) to do it without throwing in my expectations...
RON S.
I posted some pics yesterday on my setup for my 3.6l 6r.

here's the thread.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=2&t=32358

everything on my car is -16.
If you need pics to anything, I already everthing,nose to tail, archived I can send

Ron
Joe Bob
On a race prepped 3.6...yeah -16AN woud be right....I'm using -12An on my 3.6 911 street car. It's more than adequate.
Thanks! This should really help! How much/what fabbing was needed to the intake and return off the motor?
RON S.
The intake,I originally made from -16 line,and some elbows,a union,and the straight ends.After installing it and taking a hard look at it,it just looked like it was bulky looking.Plus the hose was making to much of a radius to fit,and wanted to to some flattening.
So,I tried a piece of 1"aluminum conduit and made a hard line.It has the same i.d. as the -16 line.
I heated it and slowly formed it to fit,and w/o any kinks.I then tig welded on the connectors to the ends,slid the heat shielding over it and I think it's done.

The return line is a 911 line I picked up at Hershey this past April for $10 bucks.I cut off the one end fitting,then slowly heated it and bent it til it formed all the way around the engine back towards the oil tank.I then had some firesleeve added,and tig welded on a -16 steel 1/2 union,and I was done.

Total cost,less than $100.00 in both lines.Much more than that if you count the 187 times I had to install,adjust,remove,bend some more,on each line to make a professional looking fit.

Ron
ArtechnikA
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 2 2005, 12:27 PM)
-12AN or -10AN are the norm on /6 conversions....

maybe this was just a typo but AN-10 is MUCH too small for any oil line on a /6!

AN-12 is the bare minimum; -16 is preferred, especially on the scavenge circuit; AN-12 is probably fine for the inlet to the oil pump.
J P Stein
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 2 2005, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 2 2005, 12:27 PM)
-12AN or -10AN are the norm on /6 conversions....

maybe this was just a typo but AN-10 is MUCH too small for any oil line on a /6!

AN-12 is the bare minimum; -16 is preferred, especially on the scavenge circuit; AN-12 is probably fine for the inlet to the oil pump.

Just in case anyone is reading this drivel, I agree with Rich on the -10, but think he has it backwards of the feed/scavenge llines. -12 is OK on the scavenge but -16 or 20 on the feed...IMO biggrin.gif and-16 on the scavenge on a 3.6.
Joe Bob
OK....lemme clarify.....

-12AN is what I use on lines from the engine to the external oil thermostat to cooler and back. Bottom oil tank line on MY 3.6 911 is stock which equates to a -16AN.

On my 914 conversions....the botoom oil tank line is a 911 unit 30mm to a slip fitting on the internal cooler....also a -16,

On the 2.0/6 I use -10An on external lines to the external cooler and it stays cool....my 3.0 914/6 I used -12AN.....I base it on my experience and past uses.
J P Stein
"*":
Let me clarify.

It's your car(s). You can use what ever you want.
Joe Bob
Methinks you don't agree....no problem.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Jun 2 2005, 07:12 PM)
he has it backwards of the feed/scavenge llines. -12 is OK on the scavenge but -16 or 20 on the feed...

i actually think AN-16 is the minimum, but lots of people like to cut corners and save a few bucks, and because it mostly works - a tribute to how bulletproof the 911 oiling system is - it perpetuates.the myth that it's okay.

even Anderson mentions in his book that AN-12 is the bare minimum, but if you ask him in person (as i have) he'll say it should be =16, and if they ever print a 3rd edition, i expect it'll say so ...

you won't see anything under AN-16 in any of my cars...
J P Stein
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 2 2005, 04:00 PM)

you won't see anything under AN-16 in any of my cars...

I must admit I used -12 on the scavenge side based on Anderson's say so....No "bare" modifer in his book. Others have recommended the same thing. If he has since changed his mind, that's tough luck for me. If Rich ever builds a car, he'll know better. Life is hard if you actually do things along these lines (NPI).
sixnotfour
Porsche used oil lines sizes that coincided with the pump in the engine.
The later the engine(pump) the bigger the lines. Inlet (supply) side getting the bigger first. In 72.

The evolution of the pump , has a great deal to do with line sizes for production 911's
Racers have learned you can never have enough oil at the pump, regaurdless of what pump you have.
Late (3.6,turbo) pumps have a huge scavenge side.

Joe Bob
I agree...that's why I graduated the size of my lines based on the year and hp of the motor.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.