Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome powder coat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
daytona
Hi guys,
I have some front turn signal housings that the internal finish is gone. Were they originally chromed like a headlight reflector?
I was thinking of having them powder coated chrome. Any comments or suggestions?
Or should I just leave them as is?
Thanks,
Bill.
mepstein
Buy new chrome ones at 914rubber. Sell your old ones.
Tom_T
QUOTE(daytona @ Feb 11 2018, 06:15 PM) *

Hi guys,
I have some front turn signal housings that the internal finish is gone. Were they originally chromed like a headlight reflector?
I was thinking of having them powder coated chrome. Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks,
Bill.

Bill,

Yes, they were originally chrome inside the bucket only.

If you don't want to fork out for new repro's from 914Rubber, then there are 2 home project or local shop alternatives ....

PC - I don't know if that pot metal will hold enough of a charge to work for powder coating, check with your PC guy, or use a home/hobbyist PC kit. PC works best if you can batch multiple items.

Paint - Others on here have also had good luck with a good quality rattle-can chrome paint, but if you have to clear coat it, then use gloss clear & test first clear-over-chrome paint on some paper or other scrap. Sometimes clear will dull the chrome paints.

IIRC there are topics on here by members who have done both PC & paint successfully on these & other shiny 914 bits, but you'll do better to use google search to find them, since the search function on here doesn't work as well.

If you do paint yourself, then you may want to do your taillight buckets at the same time, if they need a freshening up too.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bdstone914
QUOTE(daytona @ Feb 11 2018, 07:15 PM) *

Hi guys,
Thanks,
Bill.

I don't think 914 rubber is making turn signal buckets. They are made of zinc and it does not Powder coat well. It emits gases and bubbles the paint. I would also be concerned with damage from the heat. I use silver metallic paint. With the lens on you can not tell the difference.
ConeDodger
Big deep secret. Powder coating is just melted powdered paint. Paint them. evilgrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 12 2018, 01:51 AM) *

Big deep secret. Powder coating is just melted powdered paint. Paint them. evilgrin.gif

It's melted polyester or epoxy powder.
914Sixer
Several different paint options. Another option is to find some one that does liquid chrome applications. Not cheap but way cool.
gothspeed
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 11 2018, 05:50 PM) *

I don't think 914 rubber is making turn signal buckets. They are made of zinc and it does not Powder coat well. It emits gases and bubbles the paint. I would also be concerned with damage from the heat. I use silver metallic paint. With the lens on you can not tell the difference.

This is what I am going to do, turn signal and tail lights ^^^ smile.gif
clapeza
Do you want to keep it original, or do you want to be seen?

If it's the latter, check out:
https://www.spokeworksled.com/914-led-solutions

Great products and a member here.
daytona
I am not ready for the LED lights just yet, but I do want to improve the lighting situation.
Improving the reflectivity inside the turn signal housing should help. I think I am going with the painting and going to forego the powder coating.
Thanks for all the comments. I had not considered that the heat of the powder coating ovens were too hot for the pot metal.
Thanks to all.
Bill.
mepstein
I misread the first post. I was the nkung fog light grill. I did not think you could ever powdercoat the turn signal. It has a plastic base at the wire contacts. We fire up the oven to 400 to bake the powder.
I have a bunch of Spokes led lights. They are much brighter than stock. Great investment.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.