Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: considering replacing the backpad with carpet?Update Completed wanted to share pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Rob-O
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
xperu
I installed on my 914, very happy with the look, very clean and feels like more room in the cockpit. Mike
jmitro
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ May 20 2018, 04:23 PM) *

Update- completed changing the backpad to perlon.

I really like the rubber strip at the top. what is it and where did you get it? and how did you attach it?
gothspeed
I finally noticed the seats from the first page. Who makes these and what model are they? smile.gif
Mercurial
QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 21 2018, 11:03 AM) *

I finally noticed the seats from the first page. Who makes these and what model are they? smile.gif

Here you go gothspeed...

Seats

I think the seats look awesome!
gothspeed
QUOTE(Mercurial @ May 21 2018, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(gothspeed @ May 21 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Here you go gothspeed...

Seats

I think the seats look awesome!

Cool! thanks for the link smile.gif
bandjoey
I like that kit fit. Does anyone make a cover for the seatbelt roll?
daytona
I really like the look of the perlon covered firewall. I did it on my car but a little differently. I covered the firewall with dynamat, and instead of gluing the perlon directly to the firewall, I covered the backed structure.
I started out with a back pad that needed recovering. Removed the vinyl covering and the foam. Refreshed and repaired the back pad panels with fiberglass, and then covered it with perlon (actually trunk lining material purchased from the local upholstery store). The lining material is a bit lighter than the perlon and easily follows the contour of the back pad. I think it really looks good.
Bill.
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(jrblackbox @ May 20 2018, 02:23 PM) *

pics here too.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
QUOTE(jmitro @ May 20 2018, 08:17 PM) *

QUOTE(jrblackbox @ May 20 2018, 04:23 PM) *

I really like the rubber strip at the top. what is it and where did you get it? and how did you attach it?

^^^^This. The rubber really makes it look like a clean install. Is it carpet edging?

Greg W.
mb911
I really like it.. Now I need to source the kit or material.
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2018, 03:18 PM) *

The kits are pieced together but only seem to come in grey. I want black.
914rubber has perlon for a good price and your choice of backed or not. I believe you want to buy the non backed perlon because it will stretch and mold around the firewall. I’m using some self adhesive rubber soundproofing that I bought on amazon. It’s pretty thick so I will spray adhesive and lay the perlon directly on the rubber. I also have to grind off the clips that hold up the backpad and maybe fill the screw holes.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2018, 11:47 AM) *

914rubber has perlon for a good price and your choice of backed or not. I believe you want to buy the non backed perlon because it will stretch and mold around the firewall. I’m using some self adhesive rubber soundproofing that I bought on amazon. It’s pretty thick so I will spray adhesive and lay the perlon directly on the rubber. I also have to grind off the clips that hold up the backpad and maybe fill the screw holes.

I went with a charcoal carpet so grey will work perfect for me.. Good to know..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2018, 04:01 PM) *

There is someone selling the grey kits on eBay. I like the smoother look of molding one piece to the firewall but I’m sure the kit looks fine. I’ve never been a fan of the puffy backpad but I guess it was sort of needed to make the 2+1 seating.
xperu
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 22 2018, 03:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 22 2018, 04:01 PM) *

914rubber has perlon for a good price and your choice of backed or not. I believe you want to buy the non backed perlon because it will stretch and mold around the firewall. I’m using some self adhesive rubber soundproofing that I bought on amazon. It’s pretty thick so I will spray adhesive and lay the perlon directly on the rubber. I also have to grind off the clips that hold up the backpad antd maybe fill the screw holes.

There is someone selling the grey kits on eBay. I like the smoother look of molding one piece to the firewall but I’m sure the kit looks fine. I’ve never been a fan of the puffy backpad but I guess it was sort of needed to make the 2+1 seating.

I bought mine on Ebay several months ago. Pre-cut and stitched. It fits very good. Mike
bajafreaks
Digging up this older thread.
No one has mentioned if there was a difference in engine /cabin noise going this route.
Dynamat and perlon is the noise level comparable to stock padding etc.?
Justinp71

I was looking at this thread too @jrblackbox did you go with the ebay carpet kit?
blabla914

When I bought my perlon carpet set from Mike I just asked for extra material to do the firewall. He sent me an extra piece of matching perlon with no backing. I put it on over sound deadening material using spray adhesive.

The only part in the least bit tricky is the joint of the carpet up against the window. I made a template out of a bunch of pieces of paper taped together and then put that on the fabric to match the profile of the window.

otherwise the unbacked perlon forms easily to the contour of the firewall with no wrinkles. piece of cake.

For lighting I cut a 911 light in down low on the firewall just above the tunnel. works great.
bkrantz
QUOTE(bajafreaks @ Jun 28 2023, 05:09 PM) *

Digging up this older thread.
No one has mentioned if there was a difference in engine /cabin noise going this route.
Dynamat and perlon is the noise level comparable to stock padding etc.?

I used Dynamat plus a layer of foam Dynaliner under perlon on the inside, and then replaced the stock pad on the engine side with a foil-foam sandwich. It's not "quiet" but not at all loud. Most of what I hear (with the top on) comes through the rear window glass.
Bullethead
QUOTE(blabla914 @ Jun 28 2023, 09:14 PM) *

When I bought my perlon carpet set from Mike I just asked for extra material to do the firewall. He sent me an extra piece of matching perlon with no backing. I put it on over sound deadening material using spray adhesive.

The only part in the least bit tricky is the joint of the carpet up against the window. I made a template out of a bunch of pieces of paper taped together and then put that on the fabric to match the profile of the window.

otherwise the unbacked perlon forms easily to the contour of the firewall with no wrinkles. piece of cake.

For lighting I cut a 911 light in down low on the firewall just above the tunnel. works great.

@blabla914 Please post an image of your lighting solution... looking for an alternative to underdash.

Thanks!
jrblackbox
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jun 28 2023, 05:38 PM) *

I was looking at this thread too @jrblackbox did you go with the ebay carpet kit?

No kit, just the perlon fabric off ebay from appbiz I believe over dynamat.
Geezer914
I did Perlon on the back wall behind the seats. Installed Dynamite to the firewall in the engine compartment and covered that with a thin silver covered firewall blanket. Installed 2 small led interior lights on each side of the center console with the 3 gauges.
bajafreaks
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 29 2023, 09:09 AM) *

I did Perlon on the back wall behind the seats. Installed Dynamite to the firewall in the engine compartment and covered that with a thin silver covered firewall blanket. Installed 2 small led interior lights on each side of the center console with the 3 gauges.

Hows the sound inside the cabin ?
Geezer914
I have a Triad exhaust, not too loud with the windows up. It's a Porsche, not a Cadillac limo!
blabla914
[/quote]

@blabla914 Please post an image of your lighting solution... looking for an alternative to underdash.

Thanks!
[/quote]

The lighting isn't as good as stock as it's down low, but it does the job. The wiring is easy. Just snake the original wiring and trim to length. Key is mount as high as possible on the lower part of the firewall. You can kind of see the edge of what I'm talking about thorough the fabric. There are a bunch of layers of metal in there, especially down low, but you don't want to interfere with the center tray.

Click to view attachment

The 911 light is kinda expensive, but it's much nicer than the stock vw unit and seems to give off quite a bit more light.

I can't take credit for this. I saw it somewhere. perhaps on Serrano's site.
Geezer914
Under dash lights in center gauge consol.Click to view attachment
Ottomotion
Sorry if this has already been asked, but do you get more seat travel adjustment rearward with this mod and if so, about how much?
bahnzai
Click to view attachment
bahnzai
@914dave

Maybe Dave will reply with some details on his firewall cover and interior light. Although, knowing Dave…the light/mount is handcrafted, like most of his build!
914dave
QUOTE(bahnzai @ Jul 1 2023, 08:51 AM) *

I used eastwood sound deadening and covered with unbacked perlon. Used 3M super 90 adhesive. As for the lighting, I used .0325” aluminum and formed a box to mount the stock light. It now has a GoPro mount on top.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.