Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking brake lever removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74ravenna
I'm having trouble removing my parking brake handle.

I've removed the clip from the pin that holds the cable but i can remove the pin (screw?)

Does it pull out or unscrew?

Also, how do i remove the bolt that holds the Brake Lever to the long? Its flush to the lever so there's no way for me to put a wrench or socket to it?

It looked like it was going to be an easy thing to do! Even Haynes makes it sound like a super easy thing.

What am i not seeing?

Thanks.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Feb 17 2018, 03:22 PM) *

I'm having trouble removing my parking brake handle.

I've removed the clip from the pin that holds the cable but i can remove the pin (screw?)

Does it pull out or unscrew?

Also, how do i remove the bolt that holds the Brake Lever to the long? Its flush to the lever so there's no way for me to put a wrench or socket to it?

It looked like it was going to be an easy thing to do! Even Haynes makes it sound like a super easy thing.

What am i not seeing?

Thanks.

After the clip is off the pin should slip out. No ? ....rust.... soak it or heat it.
If you tap on the pin be sure to put a visegrip on the back part of the handle to prevent damage.
I'm not sure what you mean about the bolt being flush.
Is the seat in your way ?
Why can't you put a wrench or socket on ?
GeorgeRud
The handbrake lever just rotates on the stub that’s welded onto the long and doesn’t come off. If you just pull or pry it towards the center of the car, it should just slip off. A bit of penetrating oil may help if it’s corroded in place.
74ravenna
Clip is off but pin doesn't move. I soaked it. I'll give it more time.

The interior is out of the car, so no seat issue.

The bolt i spoke of holds the brake Handle to the long, but the hole that the bolt screws into is recessed, so the head of the bolt does not extend out of the Handle.

GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Feb 17 2018, 04:41 PM) *

The bolt i spoke of holds the brake Handle to the long, but the hole that the bolt screws into is recessed, so the head of the bolt does not extend out of the Handle.

blink.gif Picture please
74ravenna
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Feb 17 2018, 06:34 PM) *

blink.gif Picture please

I was going to take one but i didn't have a camera so i'll take one tomorrow, but right now its dark out, the barn is closed up, snow is on it's way and i'm in the house with the cats and the pellet stove.

bdstone914
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Feb 17 2018, 05:43 PM) *

blink.gif Picture please

I was going to take one but i didn't have a camera so i'll take one tomorrow, but right now its dark out, the barn is closed up, snow is on it's way and i'm in the house with the cats and the pellet stove.

Yes remove the 13mm hex head bolt. The handle will stick on the pivot pin. I get a pickle fork between it and the long. pry and move the handle up and down to get it off the pin.
The pins rust in and usually have to be driven out hold it in a vise. Rarely have I been able to remove them while in the car. Easy way is cut the cable if you have a spare.
Once you get the handle off of the pin you have some movement on the cable. If you can grind off the head of the pin in the bottom of the brake handle , pry the halves apart , you can separate the cable from the handle.
I have spare cables if you go that route to cut it.
Bruce
74ravenna
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 17 2018, 07:17 PM) *

blink.gif Picture please

Yes remove the 13mm hex head bolt. The handle will stick on the pivot pin. I get a pickle fork between it and the long. pry and move the handle up and down to get it off the pin.
The pins rust in and usually have to be driven out hold it in a vise. Rarely have I been able to remove them while in the car. Easy way is cut the cable if you have a spare.
Once you get the handle off of the pin you have some movement on the cable. If you can grind off the head of the pin in the bottom of the brake handle , pry the halves apart , you can separate the cable from the handle.
Bruce

Ok, good to know. I didn't think it was going to be that difficult but i'm happy to hear that it takes a little persuasion and cutting, i thought it was me.

One question though, how many bolts hold the handle assembly onto the long?

I have one bolt off, but there's another one that goes through the handle assembly.
Its almost directly above the pin.

thanks
rgalla9146
QUOTE(74ravenna @ Feb 17 2018, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Feb 17 2018, 07:17 PM) *

blink.gif Picture please

Bruce

Ok, good to know. I didn't think it was going to be that difficult but i'm happy to hear that it takes a little persuasion and cutting, i thought it was me.

One question though, how many bolts hold the handle assembly onto the long?

I have one bolt off, but there's another one that goes through the handle assembly.
Its almost directly above the pin.

thanks

There is only one bolt.
It goes through the toothed piece.
After the bolt is removed you have to get the handle to slide off the shaft that protrudes from the long. The toothed piece will come with the handle.
There is a nylon bushing on the pivot shaft / handle.
Apply WD 40 and work the handle up and down while levering it away from the long.
74ravenna
Nice!

I hate to pry or force things without a clear understanding of how they work.

Thanks all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.