Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build me a Strong 4!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
campbellcj
The comment about always being ready to jump on -6 conversion parts is definitely true...for example I got a NOS factory oil tank for $400 and a bulkhead engine mount (including 911 sport motor mounts) for $300.

No matter what kind of deal you get on the engine, though, it seems like you have to "bend over" a bit on certain stuff i.e. induction (carbs/FI) and oil lines & cooling setup, if you want a car that really works well and is reliable. You don't wanna just drop in somebody's cast-off 70 911T motor with carbs that haven't been rebuilt since bell bottom jeans were brand new.
L8Apex
With my budget, I have settled on building the 4 for now. Work on some driving, and we'll see how I'll do.

What size pistons to get to make it around the 2.2L range?
cgnj
Hi,
76x96
Based on building my 2270, you may not have to clear the case or rods. Use the CB super race rods rods. They are smaller on the big end than the Scat Rods. (I used Scat, I gleaned the CB Rod tidbit at STF b4 search went down and after I bought mine)
76 mm cw crank is $450 at aircooled
Rods about $270
Reduced base circle cam $165
KB pistons $250
I spent $1200 on my heads.
Eat exhaust fumes and save for a six.

Carlos

76 2270 'I could have had a flat 6'
76 project
URY914
CGNJ,

So you think you wouldn't need to clearance the rods and case if you went with the CB rods?

From reading the STF posts and the amount of clearacing everyone says is needed am planning on building a 2056.
The 2056 and the 2270 are about the same money but from what I read it is all the machining that make the 2270 more work to build.

Did you build your engine yourself?
Would you build the 2270 again?

Paul
Brad Roberts
Hum..

I have 2 2270 engines with NO clearancing. Both of them have Carrillo rods and one piece counter weighted cranks.

B
URY914
Damn, now I'm back to a 2270...

But who as a grand for Carrillo rods?

Paul
Brad Roberts
I think the 2270 would ideal for your car.

I think the rods where 600$. Not cheap..but I'm betting the CB rods are identical to the Carrillo's.

B
URY914
BTW,
I've had to revise some of my fiberglass work. The pieces I added to the front fenders to keep the rocks that come off the front tires were a problem. When the wheels where cranked over to full lock the tires rubbed on the them. And I had to cut and pull out the fenders as the tires also rubbed on the lip.

I've also decided to make the drivers door/rocker/front fender one piece like the right side. I found it easier to just step over the door to get in. I'll dzus it so it will be easy to take off when I need to.
Also making a cowling to cover the passenger seat area. You know, for those dry lake runs. Lower Cd=mph.

Paul
L8Apex
What's with This Setup?

I am still pretty lost when it comes to these engines. This looks like a good deal, along with getting the CB 44 IDF carbs and the webcam. How would I go about raising the compression? Just get the heads decked?
URY914
I think thats a type 1 kit.
Won't work.
my15window
I'm from O.C.Cal, home of most all the aircooled scene I come from the V.W. side,big motor bus ,Big motor oval window, big motor 914 then throw on the biggest webers around, the sand guys doing the turbo uprights T4s you guys allways talk about resale value? hell It"s a money hole like the rest,why the worry about EFI unless it's C.B.s 1700$ unit? damn build it Big! build it good,drive it hard who cares if you need to freshin it up after 20,000 miles? 90% of us use them for a 2nd or 3rd car anyways Jake Raby"s got the right attitude about type 4s i
cha914
You should probably go hang out at www.shoptalkforums.com (type4rum) and read some of their back posts on this kinda thing...and/or bug Brad some more...STF is where I learned a good deal about these T4 engines a while back...

also, not that I am pushing you to Jake again, but you should at least read through his engine descriptions as they will give you an idea of what to start looking for...here is a link to his 2270 engine kit: http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/type4/2...0/kit-spec.html

good luck and just keep asking questions...

Tony
cgnj
Paul.
Building it myself with my 13 year old son. (he probably has dreams of torque wrenchs chasing him).
Would I do it again? Qualified yes. If my car had been fuel injected, I would have just done 2055. I already had a set of Dellorto 45's and no FI parts for my car, but I would do it differently.
I would try Demello or DPR for the crank. Save about $200
I'd use KB 96's instead of JE. Another $200. These weren't available in stoker pin locations with 22mm pins when I started.

I cleared my rods individually, off of the crank. Today I would just clear one on the crank (#2 or #4) and take them to the machined to match. Ended up doing that anyway, just wasted a whole lot of time.

I used the Shadek pump. It cost $130 to machine it to work. Raby sells a type 1 pump ready to go.

Would I build another one? No. Project will have a six.

How would I go about raising the compression? Just get the heads decked?

If it's being stoked, your'll need spacers just to keep the pistons in the jugs.

Carlos
76 2270 'it's almost ready'
76 Project
DNHunt
Carlos

How did it go with your son? One of the main reasons I want to do this is to involve him. If all goes as planned he will be 14 when we build an engine. I realize he will get tired or bored before I do and that it will be a test of my patience to say "Ok son , that's enough for tonight". Did he stay interested in it or did it just go on too long? Did he learn anything? It sounds like he was on the business end of the wrenches. Did he feel any pride in the project?

Dave
anthony
I think it would depend a lot on your kid's temperment. At that age I was always building something - model airplanes, wood working, whatever. I loved wood shop and metal shop. I would have loved to build an engine with my dad.
Bleyseng
Blair has hung around me while I worked on cars since he was little. He alway was willing to hand me tools learning their names and what they are used for. Watched me build a big block 390 ci for my old truck and rebuild the 914. He bought the RX7 from me after I rebuilt that car then started modifing it. Next thing he was learning how to pull transmissons and engines, how to have a custom driveshaft made etc... He was always asking why are you doing that? I always told him why I was doing something, the order of taking things apart or putting them back together. Now he is not afraid to take anything apart and its fun.
Teach em how to clean parts, use tools and think- all very important lessons.

Geoff
Bruce Allert
Wow! you guys are cool.... Wished my Dad would've done that with me. (Actually, I guess he did, now that I think about it.)
He is/was an upholsterer (retired). I learned (partially)furniture, auto & boat upholstery. Worked with him off & on for most of my growing up years. I'd still be with him or have his shop if his temper hadn't gotten in the way and my rebellious attitude didn't flare headbang.gif
Oh well, at least we still love each other smilie_pokal.gif
bruce
Rouser
In 1972, my "father" (he ceased being my "Pops" after THIS stunt!) drags home my friend's '62 Bug (with '64 40HP engine) for $50, with a knocking engine sound that caused it to be parked for a few weeks. "Just tear it down and find out what's wrong with it, and you'll have a car for your senior year." I'm wondering what the HELL happened to a '69 Chevelle 396, or a '68 Z-28 302, like some of the OTHER guys I would see were driving. This man disgusted me.

We dropped the engine, tore it apart, and found the crank "all ruint" (my observation) and #3 rod shot. My "father" (who worked for Pan American Airways out of JFK in NYC) grabbed the crank and said, "I can get this fixed." Damn him. He had the bad journal built back up/replated and the whole thing cut 20-over and polished for oversized bearings. Bought one (1) rod (cheap SOB) and had the whole set shot-pee-peened and magna-tisement-fluxed (I was upset, remember?). Grabbed the other bits & pieces (pistons, lifters, rockers, etc) and had them x-ray inspected (no damn cracks) and quick-cryo'd ("Drop a building on these, kid; they won't break."). His VW/German repair shop friend rebuilt the heads while WE mahogany-verneered his wife's kitchen cabinets. I hate you.

I & HIM! meticulously assembled that VW aircruddy engine, using the cylinders/jugs he had me cross-thatch with glycol and a hand-drill-mounted stone (looked like a wisk broom with his balls attached!). The only items he would bow to was a Holley Bug-Spray carb & manifold, and some Appliance headers & muffler (I wanted some SOUND & PERFORMANCE, Dammit!). A new clutch ("Pressure plate checked out good." Mr. Cheep-o) and resurfaced flywheel (Mr. VW Shop, remember?), back in, 2-3 cranks, it starts, set the timing & idle/mixture, idles @ 750 RPM, and I can blat out specs to an impressed "father."

Pulled the SAME blasted stunt with my kid brother ("This 411 only needs some TLC and 2 Weber carbs installed after we pull out that burned-up FI after the engine fire, that's all!). This hatred carried over into adult life and kids of our own ... Oh, Hell, my brother & I bought the $2.5K 52" TV Pop's been salivating over and had it delivered on his birthday. All with a promise he stop spoiling the grandkids, dammit.
anthony
Consider yourself lucky you got the bug! At least they are somewhat cool and I'm sure the chicks liked a bug. Your poor brother. No girl, I'm sure, would be caught dead in a 411.
Rouser
Actually, he did pretty good.

Since he wasn't busy sinking every penny he earned into superfulous speed parts ("I just GOT to get those chrome valve/timing chain/master cylinder/air cleaner covers for my Camaro NOW!"), and his car went for weeks on a full tank, he had $$ left over to take the other guys' ladies out to dinner & a movie!
DNHunt
Rouser

I was worried there but I quess I'm safe cause one of these engines is gonna take all my pennies. There won't be any left over to take other guy's ladies out. unsure.gif
Qarl
L8Apex:

1300 views and 70 replies later.... what have you concluded?

Do you have a motor plan yet? Please share with us your thoughts!

Regards,

Karl Ellzey
L8Apex
haha! damn, I am very very stumped. I was thinking of converting to carbs and putting a new cam in and new p/c's. but I have these cool visions of a nice 2.4-6 conversion in my dreams the past few days! arg! a 6 would be a great conversion to do if I can get one for an excellent price.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.