Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny Coming Out Party - Puget Sound Style
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
KELTY360
Pizza and sodas for all - if you want beer, you'll have to bring your own.

I was originally going to pull the engine and trannny, but since the only work on the engine will be a rear main seal and checking the flywheel, I think the engine can stay in. Anybody got any suggestions for the best way to support the engine at the rear?

The work should go fairly fast which means if anyone wants to get their car on the lift it will be open. We'll start about 10:00 AM, but we'll be here for awhile so show up when you can.

Don't forget, the 11th is the first day of Daylight Savings Time cheer.gif so set your clocks to spring forward on Sat. night.

My address is: 2020 NE 40th St., Renton. I'm about .3 mile east of Exit 7 (NE 44th) off I-405, past the McDonalds.

Please let me know if you're going to make it so I can plan refreshments accordingly. See you then.
Mueller
Have fun, be safe.

I think the mention of the lift use will get more interest than the food and drinks wink.gif

I'm shooting to remove my motor and transmission the weekend of the 17/18 of this month. We'll see!
greenie
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 5 2018, 07:53 AM) *

Pizza and sodas for all - if you want beer, you'll have to bring your own.

I was originally going to pull the engine and trannny, but since the only work on the engine will be a rear main seal and checking the flywheel, I think the engine can stay in. Anybody got any suggestions for the best way to support the engine at the rear?

The work should go fairly fast which means if anyone wants to get their car on the lift it will be open. We'll start about 10:00 AM, but we'll be here for awhile so show up when you can.

Don't forget, the 11th is the first day of Daylight Savings Time cheer.gif so set your clocks to spring forward on Sat. night.

My address is: 2020 NE 40th St., Renton. I'm about .3 mile east of Exit 7 (NE 44th) of I-405, past the McDonalds.

Please let me know if you're going to make it so I can plan refreshments accordingly. See you then.

" Tranny Coming Out Party - Puget Sound Style, Sun., March 11, 10:00AM, Renton"

Unfortunately we saw this coming years ago.... sheeplove.gif

I'll make the early shift.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 5 2018, 08:34 AM) *

I think the mention of the lift use will get more interest than the food and drinks wink.gif

Never underestimate the power of free food to CSOBs. dry.gif
76-914
Is this the same leak you had repaired in SoCal last summer?
KELTY360
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 5 2018, 09:23 AM) *

This is for my 914. The leak last October was the clutch slave cylinder in my Westy. BTW, thanks again for your help with that, Kent.
rhodyguy
See you @ 0830
76-914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 5 2018, 09:28 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 5 2018, 09:23 AM) *

This is for my 914. The leak last October was the clutch slave cylinder in my Westy. BTW, thanks again for your help with that, Kent.

Aha, that was the confusion! Wished I could have done more for you. beerchug.gif
jsaum
Marc,
Does this mean we have to call you Kaitlyn now?
Rocky
If I attend, and I definitely plan to, I expect you all to sing happy birthday to me!
birthday3.gif beer.gif
jcambo7
I will be there.
Rand
If any Seattle peeps haven't been to Marc's place yet, do this. Cool place, cool cars, cool guy.

Hey Marc, this is your opportunity to find that lost washer! biggrin.gif
sportlicherFahrer
I'm in. Not sure what time yet. Early weekend mornings for me are a little different time than most.
rhodyguy
See you @ 0800. smoke.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 6 2018, 06:01 AM) *

See you @ 0800. smoke.gif

Geez Kevin, you might as well spend the night. You can bunk in Tintipi.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rand @ Mar 5 2018, 07:53 PM) *

Hey Marc, this is your opportunity to find that lost washer! biggrin.gif

idea.gif I wonder if that's the rattling sound I've heard all these years.

Hey Rand, if you start now you could easily make it here by Sunday.
KELTY360
QUOTE(jsaum @ Mar 5 2018, 03:10 PM) *

Marc,
Does this mean we have to call you Kaitlyn now?

My friends still call me Marc. slap.gif You can call me anything you want, James...as long as you call me for chowtime.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rocky @ Mar 5 2018, 06:46 PM) *

If I attend, and I definitely plan to, I expect you all to sing happy birthday to me!
birthday3.gif beer.gif

I'll warn the neighbors in advance so they can keep their dogs inside.

AHHWOOO!
rjames
Unfortunately with the time being moved up I most likely won't be able to attend.
Take a picture or two to prove you were able to corral the help into getting something done. biggrin.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rjames @ Mar 6 2018, 12:34 PM) *

Unfortunately with the time being moved up I most likely won't be able to attend.
Take a picture or two to prove you were able to corral the help into getting something done. biggrin.gif

Hey Robert - I'm pretty sure we'll be here into the afternoon if you want to stop by.
rhodyguy
I doubt the wrenches will start turning at 10. Always seems there needs to be a team meeting to figure out the game plan and all of the jockularity that goes with it.
KELTY360
Weather is looking great for Sunday...maybe the nicest day of the year so far. Bring out those 914s!

So, what is the best way to support the engine with the tranny out?
rhodyguy
Lumber? Simple bracing made from utility 2x4s and some screws?
Rocky
Marc, how's parking at your place?
rhodyguy
Ample.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rocky @ Mar 9 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Everybody having a birthday gets VIP parking.
Rocky
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 9 2018, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Rocky @ Mar 9 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Everybody having a birthday gets VIP parking.

THATS what I'm talkin about!!! cheer.gif
jcambo7
I will definitely be driving my 914.
KELTY360
Tomorrow is going to be 914 weather!

Getting ready for the work. Car on lift, rear wheels are off, tranny fluid drained, CVs not unbolted 'cause I don't have a triple square (thought I did).

Here's my solution for supporting the rear of the engine. I'd saved an old serpentine belt from my Explorer which is long enough to go under the engine and wrap around the trailing arms with enough length to double up and secure with vise grips. I think it will work fine.....any opinions?

Click to view attachment
jcambo7
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 10 2018, 04:26 PM) *

Getting ready for the work. Car on lift, rear wheels are off, tranny fluid drained, CVs not unbolted 'cause I don't have a triple square (thought I did).

Here's my solution for supporting the rear of the engine. I'd saved an old serpentine belt from my Explorer which is long enough to go under the engine and wrap around the trailing arms with enough length to double up and secure with vise grips. I think it will work fine.....any opinions?

Click to view attachment

I have a 5000 lb cargo strap I can bring that you could borrow and we could figure out a way to strap it where it holds tight. My concern would be the vise grip causing the rubber to tear if it shakes and moves while suspended. Also the rubber is not designed to handle that kind of weight and could also stretch where the vise grips are holding it which is now the weakest part of the rubber since it is cut and no longer one piece.
KELTY360
QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 10 2018, 02:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

I have a 5000 lb cargo strap I can bring that you could borrow and we could figure out a way to strap it where it holds tight. My concern would be the vise grip causing the rubber to tear if it shakes and moves while suspended. Also the rubber is not designed to handle that kind of weight and could also stretch where the vise grips are holding it which is now the weakest part of the rubber since it is cut and no longer one piece.

Bring it along. We'll take a look when you get here.
jcambo7
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 10 2018, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(jcambo7 @ Mar 10 2018, 02:54 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Bring it along. We'll take a look when you get here.

I have a triple square also that I will bring.
Rocky
I will be there fo sho but not with the Orange awesomeness! Unfortunately I need to drive the pickup as Harbor Freight has their big sale and I want to pick up a 12,000 lb winch for my Jeep on the way. $289 plus the usual 20% off, are you kidding me?

Happy Birthday to me! aktion035.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rocky @ Mar 10 2018, 06:39 PM) *

I will be there fo sho but not with the Orange awesomeness! Unfortunately I need to drive the pickup as Harbor Freight has their big sale and I want to pick up a 12,000 lb winch for my Jeep on the way. $289 plus the usual 20% off, are you kidding me?

Happy Birthday to me! aktion035.gif

That's truly unfortunate. May have to rethink the VIP parking. idea.gif
Rocky
I shall be driving an old F250 beast, it parks where it wants driving.gif

Thanks for putting up with all of us Marc :}
Rocky
And for my 300th post, don't forget to Spring ahead your clocks boyz!
EdwardBlume
Yeah, trust your engine with a used recycled FORD part. What could go wrong?

As a man who grew up poor on a dirt road, you have my full blessing. teef.gif teef.gif tooth.gif tooth.gif

Don't forget to play Skynard and blow something up while you are at it.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 11 2018, 04:58 AM) *

Yeah, trust your engine with a used recycled FORD part. What could go wrong?

As a man who grew up poor on a dirt road, you have my full blessing. teef.gif teef.gif tooth.gif tooth.gif

Don't forget to play Skynard and blow something up while you are at it.

I think you meant to say repurposed. laugh.gif
rhodyguy
Found the RMS removal tool...and put it in the car. So I don't forget it.

Don't forget the spring forward 1 hour. You'll be late for the party.
Cracker
I see "congratulations is in order" as well...where will you be moving to? I also liked the PPSFT...land in close is a special thang! biggrin.gif

Tony

KELTY360
QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 11 2018, 06:48 AM) *

I see "congratulations is in order" as well...where will you be moving to? I also liked the PPSFT...land in close is a special thang! biggrin.gif

Tony

confused24.gif Huh???
76-914
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Mar 10 2018, 01:26 PM) *

Click to view attachment

What could possibly go wrong? confused24.gif
Cracker
Sounds like fun...

T
sixnotfour
popcorn[1].gif idea.gif drooley.gif happy11.gif aktion035.gif hissyfit.gif laugh.gif sheeplove.gif av-943.gif
rhodyguy
It was very warm. Beautiful day.
PlaysWithCars
It was great meeting all of you today.

How many people does it take to remove a transmission from a 914? Apparently only 2, Mark and James. And about half a dozen people to supervise. :-)
sixnotfour
aktion035.gif
jcambo7
It was a good time and I enjoyed meeting new people and seeing some I’ve met before a long time ago. We should meet up more often.
rjames
Wish I could’ve made it but my 914 decided it didn’t want to start. Suspect distributor plate. Will need to dig into it next weekend.
Sorry I missed all the fun!
KELTY360
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Mar 11 2018, 12:20 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif idea.gif drooley.gif happy11.gif aktion035.gif hissyfit.gif laugh.gif sheeplove.gif av-943.gif

That about sums it up. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.