Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well for those who didn't believe in me
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bd1308
Engine is gone. Blew left-rear plug and it was melted , with the electrode and insulator missing. So you all who didn't think I knew what i was doing, you all were right. Bad part is that unless God or Jake Raby materializes, I don't know that I will be able to pull off a engine drop and transplant this weekend. Which probably means that I would have to give up the ghost and sell my car.....this weekend has been the worst one in a LONG time.

IF you all don't believe in religion look away now:

Lord help me.
Series9
I haven't normally been one to support your antics, but I have to say this: Is this the first engine you've lost by your hand?

I had three when I was in my teens before I succeeded. Loosing an engine that's worth a few hundred dollars is nothing to cry about.

Take it apart and fix it. It's the only way you'll learn from your mistakes.

Look at the RS. It's the result of years of experience, including failures.
bd1308
yeah from day one i haven't had enough money to rebuild a engine. I have a 1.7 that is in the storage unit that *may* or may not work....so the only thing I have to do is to call into work tomorrow, and drop my engine and put my 1.7 in.
bd1308
so i guess instead of crying about it, i just need some help with moving the engine and stuff.....can any locals help?
TravisNeff
Keep after it, it could be worse (like not having another engine). This is where you will really learn about these cars.
redshift
ouch..

And so begins the journey..

M
Series9
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 3 2005, 06:03 PM)
Keep after it, it could be worse (like not having another engine). This is where you will really learn about these cars.

Exactly.

You're obviously an intelligent guy. You've forgotten more about computers than I've ever known.

Take the fucking engine apart and learn from your mistakes. Otherwise, get a Honda and forget about it.

By that, I mean take the engine apart. It's not expensive.
Joe Ricard
Sorry to hear that you lost the motor.

But if you would have taken half the advice we gave you and the REALLY good deals you wouldn't be where you are now.
bd1308
i think somebody needs to club my parents, cause they wont have nay part of it. they want me to be a "let's take the car to the dealership" person i suppose. simply put, me and my parents don't get along well at all.....
Aaron Cox
i learned on 2 stroke mopeds etc. built me some badass 25cc motors smile.gif

cars arent much harder. these type 4's are VERY simple.

by tom wilkinsons "how to rebuil aircooled vw motor" and take down your old motor, and build a badass BD special. you can do it.

if you just need help with moving a motor... go to home depot/lowes/hardware store, buy/steal a furniture dolly and go to town.

you can do it. - use the force.

AA
bd1308
thanks aaron, i just need to steal a weapons-grade flash grenade so my parents will be dazed for a few hours--so i can get this engine swap going.
Series9
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:19 PM)
i think somebody needs to club my parents, cause they wont have nay part of it. they want me to be a "let's take the car to the dealership" person i suppose. simply put, me and my parents don't get along well at all.....

Cry me a river.

My parents made me work on the car in the side yard in the sand. Try swapping an engine in the sand.

I'm the only person in my family who knows shit about cars, and it's not because they encouraged me.
bd1308
i gotta use the schwartz----
Series9
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:25 PM)
i gotta use the schwartz----

pray to god......prayin' to god...
bd1308
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 3 2005, 07:23 PM)
Cry me a river.

My parents made me work on the car in the side yard in the sand. Try swapping an engine in the sand.

I'm the only person in my family who knows shit about cars, and it's not because they encouraged me.

i hear ya'.....glad to know i'm not alone here.
Series9
That's funny, your parents don't look Drewish....
Katmanken
Get busy!

When in high school, I blew the tranny in the bug and my dad made me remove the engine and swap it out. Best lesson I ever had....

Learned how easy it was to pull the engine and what a pain it was to swp the tranny..... After a year or so, my record for pulling an engine was 4 minutes and I could fix almost anything...

Musta been why I became a mechanical engineer.....

Ken
TravisNeff
I've been through 4 914's two engines, and an engine swap between cars. Nobody showed me how to do any of it. I learned after my first engine blew and paying someone to do it, that engine was junk and after a 5k bill the realization came that the only way I can afford to keep the car(s) was to learn how to do it myself. That I did, haven't done a full rebuild on an engine yet, heads and junk. I've been through most anything else. You just can't be afraid to dive in and go.
bd1308
guess i just expected too much from them....i'm on my own...thanks miles for the words of encouragement.

engine drop at 5pm tomorrow
d-jet config (hope my modified 2.0 setup will work, if not its okay) sunday
TurtleGirl
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 3 2005, 07:19 PM)
i think somebody needs to club my parents, cause they wont have nay part of it. they want me to be a "let's take the car to the dealership" person i suppose.

Ok, so this is how it starts... My dad told me that if I wanted a beetle, and not an American Muscle car (which is his first passion) I would have to do everything myself. NO taking it to the shop. NO asking daddy for help. The first thing I did was buy the beetle for $400. Then drove to the Pep Boys down the street and bought the "Rebuilding Volkswagens for Dummies" book. (The third thing I bought was a gas cyphon, and then a metric socket set for my dad's tool set.)

Now I've graduated (sort-of) to 914s and luckily I have a wonderful mentor (Joe, 914RS) to make sure everything is done right, but you're never going to learn unless you're forced. It takes a long time to become a Jedi Knight, paduan... You'll be fine. Just don't get discouraged too easily!!!

from a fellow paduan!!! biggrin.gif
goose2
When I was 16 (many many years ago) I "borrowed" my dad's Mercedes while he was out of town for a few days. Went out on the town burning rubber and jammin' gears until I over-revved it and scattered the clutch. In panic (he was kind of a hard-ass), I rounded up a couple buddies and we learned then and there how to do a clutch job on a 230SL. It still amazes me we pulled it off...and he never knew. It was WAY over our heads mechanically. The point is, you can do amazing things with enough motivation. I suggest you go for it.
bd1308
wow....this club is remarkable...thanks turtlegirl and 914RS and miles AKA redshift.....you all are awesome!....oh and aaron cox too! thanks. I will post pics of the carnage tomorrow.

Got a question though? Anybody know plug numbers and if it would work(obvously mine didnt)

it's a W2OEXR-U

denso plug....indicates failure from heat.....maybe my lean-runnign stuff caused this.....
redshift
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 3 2005, 09:23 PM)

Your parents are genius! Cruel genius!

M
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 3 2005, 07:19 PM)
Sorry to hear that you lost the motor.

But if you would have taken half the advice we gave you and the REALLY good deals you wouldn't be where you are now.

i should have. You're right.....i shoudl have done lots of things.....i'm just trying to dig myself out of my little hole i dug, you still have that motor?
scruz914
There has been some pretty good advice posted here and it sounds like you have a reasonable perspective on what needs to be done. 80% or more of the people on this forum have been in shoes similar to yours, including me.

Since your parents aren't hip to you monkeying around with your 914 (some people should not be allowed to have children) is there another place you can use to work on it - friends, girlfriends (sometimes they have dads that have the tools and the interest), school shop? You really don't want this experience to keep going down hill due to lack of adequate tools, space, and your parents breathing down your back. Keep in mind that it will take longer than you expect to do everything you need to do.

I wouldn't go hog wild on rebuilding the 2.0 when you do. You may even go for just fixing what is broken and put it all back together. The day will come when you can do a complete rebuild with all the trimmings.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

-Jeff
dakotaewing
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 3 2005, 08:23 PM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:19 PM)

Cry me a river.

Britt-
Joe is right -
The best lessons in life are when you get stuck on your own and nobody helps-
Its hardest tasks that you deal with in life that teach you the most -

Get on with it!!!

For some reason today I was reading your blogg, and it appears to me you have been blessed with quite a few things (and more importantly, people) in life to be happy about -

Take it from a 40 year old who lost his Mom at 11 and Dad at 30 - and has 2 young kids of his own - Don't begrudge your parent's because you don't have the same point of view -

Your parents care for you more than you have any idea - if they didn't, you wouldn't be around by THEIR choice...
I hope it doesn't take until you have your own kids before you realize this -
Your parent's may not be around by then -

I am sure that any question you have regarding pulling the old motor and
putting in the spare can be answered here -

Get on with it !!!

Best-
Thom
Joe Bob
Me three....my parents gave me a blown up 56 bug when I turned 16....they figured I would be 37 before I fixed it......fooled them.

Found a book....how to hotrod yer VW, a trans,from a later model bug that was wrapped around a tree, a 1600 dual port, converted it to 12 volt and got it on the road in 6 months....still couldn't get laid....but I had wheels...

cool_shades.gif
redshift
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 3 2005, 10:40 PM)
Me three....my parents gave me a blown up 56 bug when I turned 16....they figured I would be 37 before I fixed it......fooled them.

They gave you a brand new car, and made you rebuild it?

LMAO!

Britt, your dad is a good source for quick cash, save the begging for bail.

Never ask, or accept favors of your parents, and you don't have to answer the phone EVERYTIME it rings later.

M
Joe Bob
Gud one goat boy....sleep tight, I'll be on the next flight out....
redshift
lol! smilie_pokal.gif

I suppose you are going to fill my trunk with Budweiser, and kick my ass?

M
nebreitling
get the hell to it britt. this is EXACTLY what you needed to learn. view it as an opportunity, you can MAKE it happen.
bd1308
miles thats the thing, they are into this stupid log cabin thing up to thier heads and then it was either things like a new computer and engine or a education....i chose the latter. point is the dad with loaded wallet isnt there anymore. I have the know-how (i hope i do) and i just need a CV tool....
Joe Bob
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 3 2005, 06:52 PM)
lol! smilie_pokal.gif

I suppose you are going to fill my trunk with Budweiser, and kick my ass?

M

Nope..I'll drink yer Bud....A-ron will take care of the ass thing...dunno if it will be kicked. kissed or groped...that's between you and him.... cool_shades.gif
redshift
i don't think beer is a very fair trade for transporting aaron here to rape me

you ever watch southpark? wanna play ro shambo?

m
bd1308
miles, if you drink enough, you won't remember.....your bum will hurt though ohmy.gif
street legal go-kart
Pulled my first 914 engine in 4 hours by myself.
The last time it took70 minutes smilie_pokal.gif
I pulled my first bug engine in a dairy barn so I think I win that contest smilie_pokal.gif

Go for it!

JT
street legal go-kart
P.S.
No mater what anyone tells you, pull the engine and transaxel as a complete unit .
I don't even disconect the wiring on the ecu, I only disconnect the starter wiring and battery connection ect.
Dismount the the computer from the firewall and lay it on top of the engine.
You will want to look at all these connections anyways.

Good luck.

JT
bd1308
well at home i'm being told just to put the plug back in.....

should i re-tap and go while shopping for a new engine, or should i just put in the 1.7?

already have a HUGE exhaust leak on the right bank
and now the huge POP POP POP of #whatever (rear-driver side) cylinder whapping air through the jug......

or the other option is to take the heads off, use my existing setup, but go with the 2.0 jugs and pistons and the 2.0 bus heads i have (bondo, $$$ is coming very soon)
Joe Bob
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 3 2005, 07:04 PM)

m

Who said "I" was buying.....who said A-ron was a "pitcher".... mueba.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jun 3 2005, 07:54 PM)
get the hell to it britt. this is EXACTLY what you needed to learn. view it as an opportunity, you can MAKE it happen.

happenned for a reason.

agree with da natester on this one . LEARN BY DOING.

when i was a punk ass 12 year old, i had a gnarly goped... i weighed more than most kids, but i could eat them alive with the motors id build.... 25cc and like 1HP woohoo . again. learned by doing, and trial and error.

listen to evryones advice, do some reading, and you will be fine grasshopper.

AA
Aaron Cox
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 3 2005, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 3 2005, 07:04 PM)

m

Who said "I" was buying.....who said A-ron was a "pitcher".... mueba.gif

BTW - you guys suck. lets help britt out instead of fucking with me for once.... dry.gif
JoeSharp
So Kid: Life is a bitch, and it sucks to be on the humbeled end.
Broke my first Porsche motor at 19. My motor not my dads.
It is a steep learning curve and you have no choise but to continue.
Just keep in mind that we are still here and that I may not pay attention to what you say but someone will read it.
redshift
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 4 2005, 02:29 AM)

BTW - you guys suck. lets help britt out instead of fucking with me for once.... dry.gif

screwy.gif

Aaron, I hope you go on a date, and your car makes a funny hesitation, and you worry about it all night, and you can see the look on her face... yep... she's thinking you suck, 'cause your car is a POS! happy11.gif (free though! free!)

Britt, let me know if I can be more than just the GREAT MORAL SUPPORT I have already been.

M
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:14 PM)
Sorry to  hear that you lost the motor.

i should have. You're right.....i shoudl have done lots of things.....i'm just trying to dig myself out of my little hole i dug, you still have that motor?

Yes but I'm hoping it will go to a GOOD home.

That whole parents and I don't get along thing is really weak. How old are you ? I think it's time to try on a pair of "big boy pants"

Know your limits.... 914's are on the other side of the limit. Get a Honda and dump the teeners.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 4 2005, 12:00 AM)

should i re-tap and go while shopping for a new engine, or should i just put in the 1.7?

and now the huge POP POP POP of #whatever (rear-driver side) cylinder whapping air through the jug......

or the other option is to take the heads off, use my existing setup, but go with the 2.0 jugs and pistons and the 2.0 bus heads i have (bondo, $$$ is coming very soon)

If you were 700 miles closer I'd come over and repair the spark plug hole for you.
You're probably better off removing the 2 liter and installing the 1.7 though.
Then you can pull the heads off the 2 liter and fix them up right.
Rear driver side is #1.
Don't put bus heads on the 914 engine unless you have someone rebuild them specifically for that purpose.
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Jun 4 2005, 05:36 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 3 2005, 06:14 PM)
Sorry to  hear that you lost the motor.

Yes but I'm hoping it will go to a GOOD home.

That whole parents and I don't get along thing is really weak. How old are you ? I think it's time to try on a pair of "big boy pants"

Know your limits.... 914's are on the other side of the limit. Get a Honda and dump the teeners.

whatever. you're not the only guy. ask rick what he thinks. and myabe you didn't understand me when i told you i didn't have $300 for the 1.7 engine you had for sale plus shipping.
bd1308
QUOTE (Racer Chris @ Jun 4 2005, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 4 2005, 12:00 AM)

If you were 700 miles closer I'd come over and repair the spark plug hole for you.
You're probably better off removing the 2 liter and installing the 1.7 though.
Then you can pull the heads off the 2 liter and fix them up right.
Rear driver side is #1.
Don't put bus heads on the 914 engine unless you have someone rebuild them specifically for that purpose.

thanks for the offer....i actually have relatives in CT (danbury) and alot of relatives in NJ.....
i think i'm better off with putting the 1.7 in too. thanks for everything you've helped me with.
ClayPerrine
Britt,
You have the best opportunity to learn something useful here. Your 914 can teach you about cars, and life. If you really want to continue to drive a 914, you are going to HAVE to be able to work on it. But you are lucky. You have the best support system in the world in this board. There are thousands of collective years of experience here, and everyone will help you out.

That being said, I think the problem you were having was a burned up spark plug, lean running and an exhaust leak?

Let us know. We are all here to help.

Brett W
I built my car in a cramped 1 car garage and spun a bearing in a $4K motor thirty minutes after I put it in. Hows that for disappointment. You can do this. Pulling a motor and rebuilding one is not rocket science. That part shows up when you start going way beyond what the engineers designed the motor to do. happy11.gif

Put the car up on jack stands and start un-hooking stuff. Get to it. I want to hear your car running on Monday.
DNHunt
Britt

If you don't have a CV tool go buy one at a VW store. Get your own cause you'll need it again.

If this looks like a mountain too tall sell it and get a Honda as other people said. If you want to step up to the challenge people will help you with all kinds of information. Remember, all these people that are giving advice started where you are right now. They aren't any brighter or more talented than you; they just took on the challenge and learned from it. The funny thing about mountains is that the view from the top is worth the effort to get there.

Don't take any shortcuts. Do it right (put in the 1.7 and fix the 2.0) or don't do it.

I know this is not a trivial thing for you but, dealing with crisis and facing challenges is what builds character. Make this your challenge and leave your folks out of it. This can be one of the turning points in your life and you will be able to look back on it with real pride just like the other people who posted their first experiences. Pull this off by yourself and your parents (at least your dad) will look at you in a different way.

As for your parent's cabin and stuff. They have their own life and they are starting to look for their own nest that doesn't include a fledgling son. It might be hard for you to see but you are getting the first push out of the nest. Such is life.

Give it hell

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.