Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 9140430200 914-6 Adriatic Blue restoration Vintage Excellence
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Cairo94507
AHudson raises a great point. What are you going to do with the shock towers? I have decided to leave mine clean which I am sure will cause some consternation amongst the ranks. beerchug.gif
defianty
Looks fantastic. I just a few months away from doing all this myself and quite excited about it too.
VintageExcellence
Not sure on the goo on top of the shocks. It wouldn’t go on until after the car is well dialed in. It’s gross so might not do it. They just lathered it on with a brush so it is a bit chaotic and you need hot tar to do it right.

Engine is together after much fussing of little parts.

VintageExcellence
Side view

Larmo63
Wow that looks great, Mark!!!

I'll bet the 914-6 rear emblem I bought from you is off of this car?
VintageExcellence
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 19 2018, 08:55 PM) *

Wow that looks great, Mark!!!

I'll bet the 914-6 rear emblem I bought from you is off of this car?

Yes that was the original emblem from this car. The NOS one replaced it.
Krieger
Nice build! Your work is excellent!
VintageExcellence
Glad I put away a nice roll bar pad a number of years ago

mepstein
AB. The color of my first 914 when I was 16. Love it!
Ferg
Great work. smilie_pokal.gif
VintageExcellence
Starting to open its sleepy eyes. Engine is in for the first time in 10 years.
VintageExcellence
Money shot

Still having many issues, 911 rotors are rubbing ever so slightly on the spaced calipers. Got a number of tasks to figure out before we drive this car 400 miles up to Rennsport.

Wish me luck.
mech986
Any updates for 2019?
rgalla9146
QUOTE(VintageExcellence @ Sep 20 2018, 09:34 PM) *

Money shot

Still having many issues, 911 rotors are rubbing ever so slightly on the spaced calipers. Got a number of tasks to figure out before we drive this car 400 miles up to Rennsport.

Wish me luck.

Can't believe I missed this thread when it was active.
What a beautiful job.
The description of an ultimate flat fender 6 is perfect. All the best
period correct performance parts in a stock appearing package.
WOW !
What's the latest ?
sb914
I think he might have sold it.
He mentions he sold car in a for sale ad.
gtgroupe4
Good Afternoon,

I bought #200 from Mark (Vintage Excellence) back in 2014 for him to restore. I've been lucky enough to have Mark do work on a couple of cars since I bought a early 911 front wing & a '67S engine from him in 2005.

I only had to wait 33 years to find the right 914-6...

#200 (Bleue) is back East & is currently under the care of Peter @ Dawes Motorsports, to address an issue with the rings (fail). Which BTW has absolutely nothing to do with the rebuild or Mark's work. Peter & Tony @ Dawes were very complementary of the attention to detail, quantity of Marks restoration and the engine rebuild. & when my 'D' finishes @ Uni, I'll be back on Marks doorstep for a 912, to round out my 'unloved' Porsche collection (912, 914-6 & 931).

Gettysburg
Click to view attachment

Summit Point PCA Experience

Click to view attachment

First Baby Picture courtesy of Safespeed in MoCo

Click to view attachment

sixnotfour
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
Very nice!
smilie_pokal.gif
gtgroupe4
I'll add some additional pictures when I'm able.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As found...

Click to view attachment
mech986
Thanks for the reply and Congratulations on getting such a nicely rebuilt 914-6. A few questions for you:

1. Did you ever get the motor dynoed so that you documented power, torque curve and operating characteristics? What do you think of how the motor drove?

2. How were the 40IDA carbs set up?

3. What exactly happened to the failed ring and which cylinder? Oil problem?

4. Any other pictures of the restoration work after late 2018?

5. How do you fell the upgraded brakes work?

6. Did you also go with the Mahle Gas Burner wheels? He seems to like those on his restorations.
gtgroupe4
Please pardon the delay...the duties of King & Country take me away from time to time..

1. Did you ever get the motor dynoed so that you documented power, torque curve and operating characteristics? What do you think of how the motor drove?

A: Not this time, but we will have one after this rebuild. Peter (Dawes) will break in the engine and tune their Dyno.

2. How were the 40IDA carbs set up?

Displacement 2381.23cc (87.5x66mm), CAM DC30

V: 32
M: 135-140
E: F26-F1
A/C; 180
I: 55

3. What exactly happened to the failed ring and which cylinder? Oil problem?

IDK; Wasn't a 'ring' failure, it was the "rings', appears to be the piston/cylinder (s). I do not have the measurements on the P&C, but everything points in that direction.

4. Any other pictures of the restoration work after late 2018?

yes, I have picture of every phase & nearly aspect. What are you specifically looking for? Something from freshly painted tub to final assembly?

5. How do you Feel the upgraded brakes work?

Having only driven a 914-4, to compare I'd have to use my time with early 911's. Less prone to fading than '67S (long gone) with a better feel than the '72T. The '67S was nearly the same weight and set-up based on the same requirements, but the 914 has a longer wheel base & a bit better weight distribution than a SWB. I run the same loops I've used in the Catskills, Poconos, and Finger lakes, for years.

6. Did you also go with the Mahle Gas Burner wheels? He seems to like those on his restorations.

Yes, I have the gas Burners they really suit the car well. I also have a set of 14x5.5 Fuchs restored by Harvey which will get some XAS or N36 this spring. & I have the orignal Steel rims. I have though about trying a set of early Flat '6s (7/71) from the '72 911, but I'd prefer deep 6's if I put the 15" fuchs on. My only concern with the gas burner is the roads I travel are not kind to any rim, and I really cringe with the magnesium rims.
sixnotfour
. What exactly happened to the failed ring and which cylinder? Oil problem?

IDK; Wasn't a 'ring' failure, it was the "rings', appears to be the piston/cylinder (s). I do not have the measurements on the P&C, but everything points in that direction.

not good
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.