Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear trunk spring tool...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello World.....repairing rear trunk hinge so naturally I need the rear trunk spring tool. Friend has one to let me use but I want to buy one of my own. Well, easier said than done. Even the company Baum that is on the following link

https://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibles/ToolsP.htm

told me they never even made that tool....P 304. Does anyone have one of these that they would consider selling? Or does anyone know where to get one? I appreciate that there are other options but this tool is the real deal. Thank you very much.
gg
theer
Lot's of folks have made their own tool, or come up with creative ways to use existing/modified tools. Use Google to search and include 914world in the search text.

Here's what I did - not pretty, but cheap & it worked.

http://ww.w.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=309069

mgphoto
P tools are very collectible going for hundreds of dollars more than the original asking price. Hey just the tool catalogs are selling for upwards of a grand.

This tool is nothing more than a steel bar with a notch and a groove at both ends.
The torsion bar slips through the groove and rests in the notch to prevent slipping.
The bar is used as a lever to release it from the hinge, replace the plastic rollers with the brass type.

Greg, I made one out of a broken torsion bar, the length of the bar is the important factor as it produces the needed leverage.
rhodyguy
1/4" drive 10mm? Deep socket And a long extension is all it takes to get the spring off the rollers. The deep socket gives more secure purchase on the rod. Fully raise the trunk lid and prop it open first. Less pressure on the spring rods. Wear gloves.
rgalla9146
I have the tool. Not for sale.
Whatever you do, wear leather gloves and eye protection.
Spoke
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 9 2018, 03:13 PM) *

1/4" drive 10mm? Deep socket And a long extension is all it takes to get the spring off the rollers. Fully raise the trunk lid and prop it open first. Less pressure on the spring rods. Wear gloves.

agree.gif

Used the deep socket and long extension several times. Unless you're a mechanic I wouldn't buy a tool unless you like collecting tools.
Rand
Do you want to reuse them? If you want to ditch the torsion springs and upgrade to shocks, you can also just prop the lid up with least tension, wrap rags around the middle, use a cutoff disc to cut inbetween. Ten seconds, one pop, done. Just be careful to contain the ends/tension with rags. Not so elegant I know. But 10 seconds done.
rhodyguy
Yep.
ClayPerrine
I have an original tool for this. But you can make one out of a 12 inch crescent wrench.

Here is a thread on it...

Torsion bar installation thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.