Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shelf Life of Auto paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I have some single stage Hot Rod Black for the engine grill and rocker covers that is 7 yr's old. Toss or OK to use. Garage stored @ 40F-95F. TIA, Kent
mgphoto
QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 9 2018, 12:06 PM) *

I have some single stage Hot Rod Black for the engine grill and rocker covers that is 7 yr's old. Toss or OK to use. Garage stored @ 40F-95F. TIA, Kent

Best to mix some up and try it on something as a test, I've been using a single stage black that is 4 years old as dated on the can without issues but it is a high quality PPG.
Andyrew
I did some 5 years later but not 7. There is some stuff that supposedly displaces the air and works good for preservation, havent tried it.

I would spray some as a test.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 9 2018, 12:27 PM) *

I did some 5 years later but not 7. There is some stuff that supposedly displaces the air and works good for preservation, havent tried it.

I would spray some as a test.

Nitrogen, prevents oxidation.
My 914
7 years is a long time. Why take the risk on your car.
76-914
QUOTE(My 914 @ Mar 9 2018, 03:48 PM) *

7 years is a long time. Why take the risk on your car.

Don't know if it is a risk yet. That's the purpose of this thread. I'll shoot one of the rocker covers if I don't receive any definite "NO's". I can sand and re-prep one of those in a jiffy. beerchug.gif
Rob-O
Depending on who made it and what the base resin is you might be okay. Open and see what it looks like. Most likely has separated into resin (with metal flake if it was a metallic) and solvent. Solvent is really used to dilute the resin and make the mixture thin enough to spray. Check the viscosity. If it’s pretty close to what it was originally you’re probably good as that would indicate that everything was still in suspension. If it’s slightly thicker than originally thin it with solvent and give it a go. If it’s really thick toss it and start fresh.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.