Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bay Area Guys & Gals: anyone interested
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
Hey Bay Area Guys & Gals!

anyone interested in keeping brads old shop in redwood city (walking distance from HPH) ???

the shop is loaded with tools + air compressor, enough space to work on 3 cars, engine build room, small office, bathroom, upstairs storage room, tons of shelves etc.

costs including utilities ~1k per month ...

i, for one, don't have any sort of space to work on my car at my place, so this shop would be ideal for me.
if i can get 3-4-5 people to chime in, i think it would be a blast to keep this place ...

anyone interested?
smash.gif Andy
bd1308
damn i need to move to CA.....i'd put in for rent....big time
rhodyguy
plenty inexspensive 3 or 4 people. if you have to pay for secure parking in the city what's it run a month?

k
ChrisReale
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jun 4 2005, 12:33 PM)
plenty inexspensive 3 or 4 people. if you have to pay for secure parking in the city what's it run a month?

k

Depends...I pay $150 for a secure, underground 24 hour accessible spot on Polk and O'Farrell Streets. If you want to park "downtown" you are looking at $250 to $300 a month, and some jackass gets your car for you. I wopuld pony up some rent money for the shop, but I just cannot do that right now. maybe in a month or two...
SirAndy
icon_bump.gif
MecGen
Uumm
Old shop ? Is there a new shop ?
I missed it confused24.gif
Later
Joe

beerchug.gif
Rand
Joe,
Brad moved south and has what seems to be a great new gig (we hope it stays good!!). There was a thread... perhaps someone will post the link to it?
ppickerell
Andy,
You live in the East bay right? Let me know if you would be interested in doing something like this in Pleasanton if the Redwood City thing does not gel. It's probably more per square foot, but I would be willing to cover a decent amount of the monthly nut possibly. I need a place for my son and his roomate (both teener owners) to work on their cars, and one of these aeons my car will be out of the shop. I also have some basic machine tools that would round this thing out. laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jun 4 2005, 06:41 PM)
You live in the East bay right? Let me know if you would be interested in doing something like this in Pleasanton if the Redwood City thing does not gel. It's probably more per square foot, but I would be willing to cover a decent amount of the monthly nut possibly. I need a place for my son and his roomate (both teener owners) to work on their cars, and one of these aeons my car will be out of the shop. I also have some basic machine tools that would round this thing out. laugh.gif

interesting idea!

let me sleep on it ...
idea.gif Andy
nebreitling
andy, you know i'm interested.
Verruckt
Had I lived in the area, I would be SOOO into that. Good luck to ya.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jun 5 2005, 10:09 AM)
andy, you know i'm interested.

ok, that would be 2 + 1/2 and me ...

we need 3 more people ...
boldblue.gif Andy

PS: hey Patrick, any chance your sons could come out to redwood city to work on their cars?
URY914
A 914Club clubhouse. Very Cool

You'll have to give the secert handshake to get it. biggrin.gif

How 'bout a password?

Knock, knock,
"Who's there?"
"Rusty"
Door opens. wink.gif
Verruckt
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 5 2005, 02:42 PM)

How 'bout a password?

Knock, knock,
"Who's there?"
"Rusty"
Door opens. wink.gif

Door opens...

to reveal 4 guys arguing about who drank the last beer in the fridge.

A trash barrel full of bottles is nearby

This argument is soon settled, but then the next one ensues...

who is going to go get more beer, and what kind.

meanwhile, several 914's are covered in dust, sitting on jackstands....

lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif
anthony
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 5 2005, 01:42 PM)

A clubhouse would be awesome. I wish Redwood City wasn't so far from my universe.
Leo Imperial
Andy,

I'm interested.
What are we talking... About $200 a month?

I would even be interested in the Pleasanton idea.

Password "Rusty Trombone" biggrin.gif
jonwatts
Like a mini version of the Palo Alto space. Cool.

You should also set up a per-use plan for people to use the shop on occasion. You'll always get people who need the space or the tools for just a few hours so you might as well have a plan to charge them by the hour or day or week.

I can't commit to monthly participation but there are times when I could use it for sure.

Eddie Williams
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 5 2005, 02:57 PM)
Door opens...

and the next argument....

"Who took a Stromberg and didn't flush.... nasty bastard!!!""

sheeplove.gif
ppickerell
I think I might be getting a 2 post lift for my birthday.
SirAndy
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jun 5 2005, 09:53 PM)

oh. ooohhh. boldblue.gif
hmmmm, now you really got me thinking ...

Pleasanton is not that far at all ...
idea.gif Andy
monkei
smilie_pokal.gif
grantsfo
If youre willing to manage pay as you go I could use some space occasionally.
ppickerell
I will do some checking on P-ton space and see what's out there. How many off-street parking places does the Redwood City space have?
9146R
Primary decision should be based on the facilities/equipment which sounds like Brad has, secondarily on costs. People will drive for the right equipment as long as price is right. Why not offer various levels of "sponsorship". Like Grant, I would be interested in being able to periodically use a shop (with lift) and share in stocking the fridge with beer. Might need to assign a PLO - permanent latrine officer...for discounted monthly nut. beerchug.gif
lapuwali
I'd be willing to pony up for shop space that also had basic machine tools, etc. A lift would be fab, too. I have work space at my house, just not enough room for a set of machine tools (and no real inclination to buy a set, either). Pleasenton is pretty far, but if Mssr. Pickerell is providing tools, I'd make the drive to be able to make up basic machined parts. A blasting cabinet would also be a wonderful thing. It's amazing how nice even a rattle-can painted part will look after it's been blasted.

The nice aspect of the RWC shop, of course, is that it's close to HPH, so a reliable parts supplier is close by.
Joe Bob
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 5 2005, 12:57 PM)
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 5 2005, 02:42 PM)

How 'bout a password?

Knock, knock,
"Who's there?"
"Rusty"
Door opens. wink.gif

Door opens...

KegORater....
Jakester
PM sent, Andy.

I'm interested in the Redwood city possibility. P-town is out for me - too far.

I've got a MIG welder, among other tools, to contribute to a shop - if it came to that. welder.gif
Jakester
By the way - $1000/month for a 3-bay shop is a great deal. Having looked into commercial industrial space for this very purpose in the past, I found it very common to have to pay $2+/sqr foot, and that's usually for a stripped-down space not including utilities and other shared costs (TTT).

A shop with tools (let alone a hoist) should command even more. Let's not let this opportunity slip by if it's at all possible.

my $0.02

nebreitling
not a 3 bay shop, but it's deep -- you can definitely squeeze a number of cars in there.. off street parking is a minor bitch there.
Mueller
I'd vote for Pleasanton due to location and the lift, I don't need a garage, but I'd be willing to pay $10,$20 or ??? per hour if using the "lift" smash.gif

The Redwood city location is not very user freindly for multiple people mostly due to the layout...it would be fine if you had long term projects in the back 2 spots with the spot near the roll up door only for a car that'll be worked on for a few hours.

I'm pretty sure no working on cars in the parking lot will be allowed unless it was like a quick battery change or something like that.

The parking sucks there, even on weekends, you are only supposed to have 2 vehicles in the parking lot...the other tenants will call the property management and complain and he'll come out and start to give you a bad time.

SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jun 6 2005, 09:48 AM)
not a 3 bay shop, but it's deep -- you can definitely squeeze a number of cars in there.. off street parking is a minor bitch there.

yes, one bay, but deep enough for 3 cars and you can still work around them ...

no lift, but plenty of jacks and jack-stands! biggrin.gif

outside parking during the week is OK, even tho the lot is pretty busy.
the lot is mostly empty during weekends ...

the place needs to be cleaned up, but that could be done in a weekend with some beer and BBQ and a truck to haul trash to the dump ...

smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 6 2005, 10:25 AM)
The parking sucks there, even on weekends, you are only supposed to have 2 vehicles in the parking lot...the other tenants will call the property management and complain and he'll come out and start to give you a bad time.

nope, only if you *leave* cars there for a few days ...

the lot is mostly empty during the weekends and no one complains if you have a couple of cars parked there while people work in the shop.

however, they don't want you to use the parking lot for "storage" for your project cars ...
wink.gif Andy
Jakester
Just a thought - the cost of an above-ground lift spread over 5-6 people is really quite affordable (probably in the $1500-2000 range). Charging $15/hour for members to use it would offset the costs in the long run. If it were placed at the front of the long bay, with the ability to drive (??possible??) or walk under it, it might even add to the usable space.

Many possibilities with the right space and constraints.

Having said this without even seeing the space, I might be totally off my rocker... chairfall.gif
Mueller
last year(?) there was a 914 breakfast at HPH, a few of us parked in the lot on a Sat. and the granite and cabinet shop guys where working...they pissed and moaned about too many cars in the lot....

might not happen all the time, but just so you know it could happen again....
Jakester
Grousing about parking is par for the course at every industrial space I've ever been to. It's a byproduct of living in one of the most expensive places in the world, I suppose. I wouldn't consider this to be a major detractor from securing this space...
MartyYeoman
Pleasanton has my interest.
neo914-6
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jun 5 2005, 08:53 PM)

A lift is necessary for those of us that are uh "not too limber". This interests me and P-ton is not too far from SJ.

Dam Patrick, I'm lucky to get a sweater or card on my bday. laugh.gif
ppickerell
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 6 2005, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE (ppickerell @ Jun 5 2005, 08:53 PM)

A lift is necessary for those of us that are uh "not too limber". This interests me and P-ton is not too far from SJ.

Dam Patrick, I'm lucky to get a sweater or card on my bday. laugh.gif

I have been a VERY good boy this year!
Bezerker420
we should grow a lil medical chronic in the back to help subsidize the rent!!??

its WAY feasible...!
Jakester
BUMP
ppickerell
UPDATE: My Commie RE agent is still looking in Pleasanton but small (1200 sq ft) auto space is scarce right now. He has not given up yet. I took a look at Livermore and will also take a look at Hayward where there is a bit more on the market. I will be out of town until the 20th so I will take up the hunt upon my return. In the meantime maybe Redwood City as originally suggested is the bomb. Is there enough voltage to run the hydroponics?
Tony
Patrick

I was talking to the owner of the Speed trap, he sells diecast car, mags and other car junk. He said that the
martial arts studio was closing and he was think of moving in down there. These shops are on Stanley blvd.
and are next to the tire store I think its Big O .
He allso rented out part of his store area in the back. I think it will hold about six cars or so. You could talk to hm and see what happen.

ppickerell
Tony,
Thanks for the tip. I will go over and talk to him today.
Thanks,
Patrick
Bezerker420
just think.....with 2 reccomendations.... 1 cars worth of space in the back can fully fund the entire garage and everyone can essentially have a free, fun, equiped, and safe place to hang/work..

this is california....to liberal of a financing option for you all?

it would be legal, easy, and you would be helping sick people...!
Jenny
QUOTE (Bezerker420 @ Jun 9 2005, 12:43 PM)
it would be legal

didn't the federales just pass something that says otherwise? Regardless of Cali law, I mean.

Jen smoke.gif
Bezerker420
nope its a misconception that the media has expounded upon....

contaning statment from California Attorney General

Calif. AG: Don't Panic Over Pot Ruling

By KIM CURTIS
The Associated Press
June 6, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO -- Oregon stopped issuing medical marijuana cards after Monday's Supreme Court ruling, but people could apparently still get pot with a doctor's prescription there and in nine other states, and nobody in law enforcement appeared eager to make headlines arresting ailing patients.

"People shouldn't panic. There aren't going to be many changes," California Attorney General Bill Lockyer said. "Nothing is different today than it was two days ago, in terms of real-world impact."

The high court ruled 6-3 that people who smoke marijuana because their doctors recommend it to ease pain can be prosecuted for violating federal drug laws.

The ruling does not strike down medical marijuana laws in California, Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Vermont or Washington state. In many places over the past years, local authorities have shown no interest in arresting people who smoke pot for medical reasons.

It remains to be seen whether the federal Drug Enforcement Administration is planning a crackdown. The Justice Department was not commenting.

In Colorado, where 668 people hold a certificate allowing them to use and grow marijuana for pain relief under a constitutional amendment voters approved in 2000, federal prosecutors plan to keep their focus on large-scale drug rings, but if investigators come across marijuana in possession of certified state users, they will seize it _ just as they have always done, said Jeff Dorschner, a U.S. Attorney's spokesman.

In Oregon, state officials said they would temporarily stop issuing medical marijuana cards to sick people.

"We want to proceed cautiously until we understand the ramifications of this ruling," said Grant Higginson, a public health officer who oversees Oregon's medical marijuana program.

California in 1996 became the first state to allow medical marijuana. On Monday, Gov. Arnold Schwarznegger, who has previously supported the use of pot by sick people, said only: "It is now up to Congress to provide clarity for not only California, but the other states that already have laws recognizing the use of marijuana for medical purposes."

Medical marijuana dispensaries have proliferated despite a 2001 Supreme Court ruling that rejected the "medical necessity" defense in marijuana cases.

Nationally, federal arrests of ailing patients who smoke pot have been rare, said Paul Armentano of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws. NORML said the government has arrested more than 60 people in medical marijuana raids since September 2001.

Still, the ruling makes Valerie Corral nervous. Corral operates a 150-plant pot farm in Santa Cruz County, providing marijuana for free to about 165 seriously ill members. The high court's decision "leaves us protecting ourselves from a government that should be protecting us," she said.

It was "business as usual" at the San Francisco health department, spokeswoman Eileen Shields said. The county issues medical marijuana identification cards, valid for two years, to residents with a doctor's prescription.

The city has at least 43 medical cannabis dispensaries, far more than any other city in California, and makes no effort to collect data that federal authorities could use against them. "No one wants to create a nice, neat database" of pot users, she said.
McMark
Patrick, that shop has 220 3phase. I don't know what the service is though.
ppickerell
220 3 phase in Brad's old shop? Ok, I was kidding about the hydroponics, sheeeesh. It's about the cars right? The Tae KWan Do place may work but I expect it to run $1500/mo at least. Mark, you can move down here and fix all our cars for beer and hamburgers!
McMark
YES! I always wanted to be 800 lbs! lol2.gif

I wish there was as much North Bay love as there is South Bay.
Scott Carlberg
Have you guys worked out the Cost, or how you would Charge people to Use the space?

Have you considered asking any other car-clubs, or are there enuf 914 people that would pay/cover the costs for the shop?

I ask because I'd be willing to be bet (other peoples money) lol2.gif that some of the large VW clubs would be interested in using the space too.
No, I haven't mentioned this to anyone else,
I am just asking a couple of questions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.