Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint the Horn Pad Trim?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
I'm having my steering wheel recovered so would like the trim on the horn pad to look better as well. The steel parts, especially the grippy areas for activating the horn, are missing some paint (not from me, I only use the horn when it's well-deserved). Has anyone painted the steel areas on the horn pad? It looks like a flat black to me but it seems every other black piece on the car was originally satin. Anyone know the correct color black? Here's the current condition of mine:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Pop the foam pad off the frame from the back ( I use my thumbs) and paint the frame with black satin truck m paint. Use a strong contact adhesive to glue back the foam.
doug_b_928
Interesting, I didn't know the two parts separated. Will 3M Super 77 be strong enough to hold the foam when gluing it back on? In case something untoward happens to the foam, are replacements available?
sithot
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 14 2018, 08:41 PM) *

Interesting, I didn't know the two parts separated. Will 3M Super 77 be strong enough to hold the foam when gluing it back on? In case something untoward happens to the foam, are replacements available?

Euro Black by Lawson Products

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/Kent/Satin-E...ting/1509229.lp
mepstein
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 14 2018, 09:41 PM) *

I have extra foam pads. I’ll send you one for free if you screw yours up. I push it out slowly. It’s pretty tough but it can tear. Just PM me if you need an extra. I would buy a can of black trim paint. Amazon, eBay, etc carry it.
doug_b_928
Great offer, thanks! I hope I don't need to take you up on it wink.gif
gothspeed
you can use a thin butter knife to help separate the foam form the metal. The rubber is old, so you are correct in being careful smile.gif
defianty
I carefully masked my foam pad and the results were perfect.

IPB Image
Bartlett 914
Warming the metal back side may help loosen the glue. Don't overheat
gothspeed
QUOTE(defianty @ Mar 15 2018, 09:24 AM) *

I carefully masked my foam pad and the results were perfect.

Wow great result! smile.gif
doug_b_928
Yeah, looks like it might be worth a try to mask and see what the result is before removing it...
Eric_Shea
The foam separates easily. We use a Wolfsburg West grey black VW spray. Perfect match.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsL...cfm?ID=PAINTL43
doug_b_928
Well, I got the foam separated in one piece! Thanks for the tips. A cheese knife really helped. Below are the separated pieces.

Click to view attachment

This raises some more questions:

1. Does the old contact cement need to be removed from the foam for proper adhesion? If so, how does one remove it?
2. The foam smells like an old 914 that sat for a long time with other species living in it. What's the best, and safest, way to clean the faom and reduce the smell?
3. So the frame appears to be aluminum. Is the best practice to bead blast it or is aluminum too soft?
4. Is 3M Super 77 strong enough to permanently hold the foam on or should I get something better?

mepstein
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 23 2018, 11:30 AM) *

Well, I got the foam separated in one piece! Thanks for the tips. A cheese knife really helped. Below are the separated pieces.

This raises some more questions:

1. Does the old contact cement need to be removed from the foam for proper adhesion? If so, how does one remove it?
2. The foam smells like an old 914 that sat for a long time with other species living in it. What's the best, and safest, way to clean the faom and reduce the smell?
3. So the frame appears to be aluminum. Is the best practice to bead blast it or is aluminum too soft?
4. Is 3M Super 77 strong enough to permanently hold the foam on or should I get something better?

Bead blast the frame. I have some that have already been blasted and repainted if you need it.
douglastic
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 23 2018, 07:30 AM) *

I have heard good things about an ozone generator for eliminating odor.
Can be had for ~$50 on amazon.

Car rentals and apartments use them on cigarette smell, death in a home, mold/mildew smell in furniture, rooms, cars, etc.

I have used one successfully on the recent LR3 we purchased - really neutralized the interior nicely.

Put your foam in a small room/closet and run for 20min - might need a second try to make it 100%. Open the door to allow the O3 to dissipate before entering . . . the room will smell great too!
mepstein
QUOTE(douglastic @ Mar 23 2018, 12:32 PM) *

QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 23 2018, 07:30 AM) *

I have heard good things about an ozone generator for eliminating odor.
Can be had for ~$50 on amazon.

Car rentals and apartments use them on cigarette smell, death in a home, mold/mildew smell in furniture, rooms, cars, etc.

I have used one successfully on the recent LR3 we purchased - really neutralized the interior nicely.

Put your foam in a small room/closet and run for 20min - might need a second try to make it 100%. Open the door to allow the O3 to dissipate before entering . . . the room will smell great too!

I have a large one that I used to use a lot when I sold real estate. They work but even $50 is too much just for a horn pad. I have used them on a lot of 914 interiors and they do a great job killing the smells.
daytona
I have a question for those that sent their steering wheel to be recovered. Do you remove the old cover and paint the wheel, or the shop doing the recovering takes care of painting the wheel prior to recovering?
Thanks,
Bill.
mepstein
QUOTE(daytona @ Mar 23 2018, 12:49 PM) *

I have a question for those that sent their steering wheel to be recovered. Do you remove the old cover and paint the wheel, or the shop doing the recovering takes care of painting the wheel prior to recovering?
Thanks,
Bill.

Dallas will repaint your wheel but if you want the "correct" color, shade, gloss, ect, do it yourself. I have a painter do it and then send to Dallas custom steering wheel with very detailed written instructions. Has always come back perfect.
doug_b_928
Thanks for the answers so far. Any ideas re questions 1 and 4 in post 13 above?
mepstein
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 23 2018, 03:43 PM) *

Thanks for the answers so far. Any ideas re questions 1 and 4 in post 13 above?

The cement will come of the frame when you blast it. If its flaking off the foam, you need to remove it. If it's secure to the foam, I would just recoat. Make sure to follow instructions.
doug_b_928
Thanks!
douglastic
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 23 2018, 08:37 AM) *

I have a large one that I used to use a lot when I sold real estate. They work but even $50 is too much just for a horn pad. I have used them on a lot of 914 interiors and they do a great job killing the smells.

Don't think of it as $50 just for the horn pad - think of it as an excuse to get a $50 tool you can use over and over in many situations and locations!

sawzall-smiley.gif
doug_b_928
So when using an ozonator on a small piece like the horn pad, do you put the piece in a an enclosed area like a car?
bbrock
QUOTE(doug_b_928 @ Mar 24 2018, 07:36 AM) *

So when using an ozonator on a small piece like the horn pad, do you put the piece in a an enclosed area like a car?

Exactly what I was thinking. Just put it in the car and freshen the whole thing at once. Be aware that ozone can be corrosive to some materials so don't overdo it. Here's a list of materials and their ability to handle ozone: http://www.ozoneapplications.com/info/ozon...e_materials.htm. And of course, don't sit inside the car while it is full of ozone. It is bad for your lungs.
doug_b_928
My car won't be enclosable for a long time, so would have to put it in a different car or some other enclosed space. I looked at the best seller on Amazon and the poor reviews suggest that these things can go sideways sometimes and leave a nasty, metallic, chemical smell that doesn't go away.... Seems like a small % but wouldn't want that...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.