Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How about an Orange County transmission tech day?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Tdskip
Happy Friday gentleman. Gabe and I were talking and we both have transmissions that need some attention, and that got us thinking that we should get a group of people together and do a tech day as we open these things up and maybe even fix them...

What do you think?
ValcoOscar
My bud Jerry and I would be interested in attending.
Tdskip
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Mar 23 2018, 07:29 PM) *

My bud Jerry and I would be interested in attending.

Great!

Who else from the OC 914 mafia would be game?
proto31
I’d be in, assuming the date works

Dan
914-300Hemi
I would be interested.
infraredcalvin
I’d be interested too depending on date...
Blue6
Me too...
Beach914
me too depending on the date chosen.
Tdskip
Good crowd coming together.

Will work on dates!
yeahmag
I’d be game. I also have a few parts that may help.
Tdskip
Great.

I will huddle with Gabe on location and timing.
bdstone914

Anybody in the gang know a lot about transmissions ? I know how to take them apart but that is about my extent of knowledge.

Kinda of need someone who knows their stuff.
Krieger
Why not summon the great Dr. Evil for a rebuild clinic?
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 26 2018, 10:42 AM) *

You rang?

Timing may be close to perfect, actually. I am looking to quit this current job so may have lots of time coming up, need to generate some income, will need to visit mom out in San Diego that is fighting cancer, and she hasn't seen my 5yo in 3 years. Hmmm. So, as others commented, "Depends on date." Also, depends on if yall want me out there. I didn't see if someone else had decided to hold the clinic.
sb914
Now we're talking!!
Tdskip
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 26 2018, 09:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Krieger @ Mar 26 2018, 10:42 AM) *

You rang?

Timing may be close to perfect, actually. I am looking to quit this current job so may have lots of time coming up, need to generate some income, will need to visit mom out in San Diego that is fighting cancer, and she hasn't seen my 5yo in 3 years. Hmmm. So, as others commented, "Depends on date." Also, depends on if yall want me out there. I didn't see if someone else had decided to hold the clinic.

Done!

PM sent Dr.
Dr Evil
Might as well put out some basics ahead of time:

- I recommend all new major bearing (2 input shaft, 2 pinion) and can get these at a deep group discount (retail around $1300).

- Seal kits (I can get, or you can get).

- Pre inspection of your ring and pinion is recommended. Last clinic in VA a guy bought a "ran when parked" transmission only to find the pinion head was very messed up. Luckily I had a core handy to sell him. Pre inspection is easy and I will talk you all through it.

- I may be low on some used parts, so will try to secure discounted new where I can. I have sources. Mostly low on synchro bands last I checked. They are not too pricey, the bearings are the killer cost if you go retail.

- This would be a planned 2 day event. See my links below in my signature for some of the clinics I have done.

- Ask lots of questions, there are no dumb ones. No one was born knowing how to do this stuff, we all started with no idea.
Tdskip
I think it would be useful to actually tackle two scenarios. One would be a tuneup or limited synchro replacement ( if that indeed is possible ) and the second would be a full soup to nuts rebuild.

I've got the patient box that needs a Synchro, so I consider that sourced.

:-)
gothspeed
I would be interested. I need to 'check' one trans that I believe is OK and another that needs rebuild for popping out of gear. Hopefully I can get one to use and another as a spare out of them popcorn[1].gif
914_teener
I"m in if Doc is there and can depending on planning and date.

Rob
1adam12
Well, I'm down! Transmission is already out of the car awaiting my side shift conversion. I'm in the I.E. but if the date works I would bring my trans down and see what you guys are ripping into.
Tdskip
Looks like 2nd half of May at this point.

Really excited to see this coming together.
EdwardBlume
I need to blow my transmission so I can go.... the Dr. is that good and the experience is that good.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 26 2018, 08:57 PM) *

I need to blow my transmission so I can go.... the Dr. is that good and the experience is that good.

Tell you what, i'll give you my broken one and you can give me your healthy one. I would hate for you to miss out, I'm good like that.

;-)

Come down anyway!
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Mar 26 2018, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Mar 26 2018, 08:57 PM) *

Tell you what, i'll give you my broken one and you can give me your healthy one. I would hate for you to miss out, I'm good like that.

;-)

Come down anyway!

It's be my 3rd one...
Larmo63
I have a known good transmission sitting in my garage that could probably be looked into.

Worked when parked.
Tdskip
Great response to the idea, we may be on to something here.

Let me huddle with Gabe and the good Dr and get back to everyone on format.

Thanks!
Boomingbeetle
I am also in for this. I have a side shift that grinds a bit going into 2nd, and I have another complete side shift in unknown condition. Plus the good trans that is actually in my car. I’d like to make one excellent trans between the two spares, or repair them both and sell one. I also know a guy who has a few core side shifts and tail shifts but I think he’s asking $300 or $350 for them
Dr Evil
You can save a bunch if you have more than one core. I may even pick up some pieces and do some horse trading when I am there. The guy asking $300-350 might be appropriate depending on condition. They are like oysters; ugly, smelly, and you dont know if they contain a pearl or cholera.
mtndawg
I’m in the Sacramento area but thinking about making the scenic I-5 drive for this.
Lucky9146
Depending on the date I would come up from north of San Diego for this.
white914.jpg
DennisO
Dr Evil,

You probably have more experience with this, then anyone. Do you use Genuine Porsche bearings, or a mix of manufacturers?

- I recommend all new major bearing (2 input shaft, 2 pinion) and can get these at a deep group discount (retail around $1300).

-Dennis
Dr Evil
QUOTE(DennisO @ Mar 28 2018, 09:48 PM) *

Dr Evil,

You probably have more experience with this, then anyone. Do you use Genuine Porsche bearings, or a mix of manufacturers?

-Dennis

Aftermarket. No way to get them cheaper using Porsche. There isn’t anything magical about them, so no need to pay more.
DennisO
thanks - makes sense.

For your classes, do you bring the special tools to check/set the pinion gear depth, or us that too complicated for these hands on classes?

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 29 2018, 08:43 AM) *

Dr Evil,

-Dennis

Aftermarket. No way to get them cheaper using Porsche. There isn’t anything magical about them, so no need to pay more.

gothspeed
Is there going to be enough room? By the amount of peeps and gear boxes, looks like we might need to rent a warehouse and some work benches. popcorn[1].gif

Dr. Evil, what are the most common wearing parts needed on these gearboxes?

I only have a gasket set so far unsure.gif
Dr Evil
The way we disassemble/reassemble, the tolerances are conserved so no need to check/set R/P at clinic. It is time consuming, takes practice, and I would not be able to at the clinic setting. This is why it is imperative to check your R/P health prior to clinic so we can assess if another core is best.

Now, when I do rebuilds at my shop I do the full deal of checking, adjusting, replacing, etc. But, as you can imagine, the cost is a little more. If I hadddent been doing this for over 10yrs I would be less sure of my methods wink.gif

QUOTE(DennisO @ Mar 29 2018, 01:40 PM) *

thanks - makes sense.

For your classes, do you bring the special tools to check/set the pinion gear depth, or us that too complicated for these hands on classes?

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Mar 29 2018, 08:43 AM) *

Dr Evil,

-Dennis

Dr Evil
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 29 2018, 02:03 PM) *

Is there going to be enough room? By the amount of peeps and gear boxes, looks like we might need to rent a warehouse and some work benches. popcorn[1].gif

So, oddly enough, you really only need a 2x2’ space to work. You won’t need case on the bench until the stack is done, etc, so only need enough room to work on focused part. The rest gets stashed under the table for later. Last time I did a large group it was outside in NorCal. The one before that was in a large garage in Tacoma. What size shop do we have available?

Common wear parts are dog teeth for 1-3, bands for 1-3, slider for 1/r, and slider for 2/3, bearings.

So....should I start a separate thread with sign up and the usual answers as asked here?
Tdskip
QUOTE(gothspeed @ Mar 29 2018, 01:03 PM) *

We should be able to accommodate 20 people plus a fan base / cheerleaders.
Dr Evil
Let ex wife know that I plan to be out of town end of May. I don't see how I can bring my 5yo as even though my girlfriend will be there, he is 5 and these clinics can be boring if you don't know what is going on and are 5. Those with kids understand. Ill still plan to swing down to SD to see Mom and Aunts. They will just have to come to OH (gasp) to see my son, maybe. Ex said she could watch the kid while Im gone.
Steve
I no longer have a 901, since I switched to a 915, but would love to watch and learn. I do need to eventually swap my 5th gear out to due to a horrible whine, but I can do that with the trans in the car, since 5th and reverse are in the nose cone versus 1st and reverse with a 901.
don-6
icon_bump.gif
I am interested in this event.
Is there any new info?
Will the Evil Dr. be making a visit to the O.C.?
Tdskip
Hi Don.

Yes! The event planning is moving forward, looks like late May.

Thanks to Gabe we have a faciiity in Huntington Beach and we have the minimum number of people to make it happen.

Dr Evil and Gabe are working on a specific Saturday/ Sunday, will Update and Starr roll call soon.
Dr Evil
Sorry for being MIA. I was in the middle of getting my old house ready to list for sale, then caught a nasty cold. I cant even talk right now so cant call Gabe to work out details. I hope to this weekend, though. Once I talk it over with Gabe, I will start a new thread to outline what the clinic is, roll call, etc.
Dr Evil
OK, I have most of my voice back. Plan to call today and discuss with tentative date being May 26-27. Working on child care, will have to quit soul sucking day job as due to cold I now have no time off (I was quitting in May anyhow). Spoke with parts suppliers and they are good to go for bearings and such. I hear there is a back order of seal kits, I will not have enough, but I can make some up or amend some 911 kits if need be.
Dr Evil
Been trying to call Gabe to go over the particulars of using his shop for this, always get machine and voice mail is full. Tdskip said he would also reach out. I am trying for the last weekend in May. All looks good from my end.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 13 2018, 10:09 AM) *

Been trying to call Gabe to go over the particulars of using his shop for this, always get machine and voice mail is full. Tdskip said he would also reach out. I am trying for the last weekend in May. All looks good from my end.

Thanks Doc. I know Gabe has been busy with work and travel, I will see if I can reach him this weekend.
john77
I might be interested in heading down from LA for this, depending if the date works.

I have a 72 off a 911 that I got off Larmo that was rebuilt 10ish years ago that I'd like to open up and poke around inside to see what's going on in there.

Plus I have my old 901 that ate itself that might have some salvageable parts - the good Dr. would obviously know what might/might not be reusable.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Apr 13 2018, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 13 2018, 10:09 AM) *

Thanks Doc. I know Gabe has been busy with work and travel, I will see if I can reach him this weekend.

Well, I have tried every day for the last week or so at different times of day and still nothing but a full answering machine. Sounds like this may need to be postponed unless we can find another place to host. I need to put time off in advance (or just plan to quit...hate this job) and got a lot going on over here. This is by no means a cancellation, this will happen as soon as we get a venue smile.gif
yeahmag
Want me to reach out to Sierra Madre Collection here in SoCal (Eagle Rock)? They have a new facility and it may be good PR for them.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Apr 18 2018, 12:31 PM) *

Want me to reach out to Sierra Madre Collection here in SoCal (Eagle Rock)? They have a new facility and it may be good PR for them.

Im open to options. If the people will go, and there are enough willing to pay for the class, then I can afford to do the clinic wherever. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.