Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
I know this topic has been beat to death but I need some guidance on my headlight issue. I think it is unique. Anyway, my headlights pop up and the lights turn on but as soon as I push the knob in to turn them off the headlights do not go down.....I have to manually turn the knob on the motor to get them down. ??
Steve
Try swapping the relay from side to side.
Wyvern
Both of them , or just 1 ?
Have you tried plugging in a different round relay ?

You could borrow one from the engine bay block to test it.

I will be at the PCA Diablo Region Porsches and Pastries tomorrow in Pleasanton.
Come on out and I'll be happy to give it a quick look at .

10am Sugaree Bakery, on Bernal
mmascari
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 7 2018, 11:57 AM) *

Try swapping the relay from side to side.

They pop up OK just don't go down. I figured that meant the relays are good.
JFG
I had this on one headlight. It was a faulty relay.
mmascari
QUOTE(JFG @ Apr 7 2018, 01:33 PM) *

I had this on one headlight. It was a faulty relay.

Oh OK, didnt realize that the relay could still be faulty if they pop up. Neither go down.
mmascari
QUOTE(Wyvern @ Apr 7 2018, 12:00 PM) *

Both of them , or just 1 ?
Have you tried plugging in a different round relay ?

You could borrow one from the engine bay block to test it.

I will be at the PCA Diablo Region Porsches and Pastries tomorrow in Pleasanton.
Come on out and I'll be happy to give it a quick look at .

10am Sugaree Bakery, on Bernal

OK, maybe I will come by. Look for my silver 914.
jim_hoyland
Had a similar issue; turned out a tiny wire became disconnected from a diode. There are pics posted
jim_hoyland
Like this, not easy to see....
jim_hoyland
Like this, not easy to see....the black plastic covers one, the second one is uncovered. Some have soldered them in place. You can remove the entire motor to get better access
mmascari
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 7 2018, 05:51 PM) *

Like this, not easy to see....the black plastic covers one, the second one is uncovered. Some have soldered them in place. You can remove the entire motor to get better access

So did you have the same problem......headlights would not go down...and it was a solder issue on the motor?
toolguy
Both headlights, doing the same thing. . I'd look at the green lead from the headlight switch which puts battery to the 'down' circuit. . most likely the switch
ClayPerrine
If it has been more than 4 hours seek medical help. lol-2.gif

Seriously.... I have a diagram on how the headlights work.

How your headlight motors work.

If it is both headlights, it may be the headlight switch.

jim_hoyland
Clay; Great diagrams. Where are the diodes ?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(mmascari @ Apr 7 2018, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 7 2018, 05:51 PM) *

So did you have the same problem......headlights would not go down...and it was a solder issue on the motor?

One of the wires on my HL motor to a diode broke away. You can diagnose it if you have good access to the motor and those wires. I took a thin screwdriver and pushed the small wire onto the spot is was connected. Presto ! the motor came on and the bucket closed.
If the diodes are still connected, then it's gonna be a different issue.
mmascari
QUOTE(toolguy @ Apr 7 2018, 10:38 PM) *

Both headlights, doing the same thing. . I'd look at the green lead from the headlight switch which puts battery to the 'down' circuit. . most likely the switch

Thanks for that....I will check the green wire on the headlight switch.
mmascari
I believe I found the problem...I checked the green wire on the drivers-side motor and as soon as I touched it, it broke off from the motor. Can I just solder it back on?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.