Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flywheel install questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
Ok so after finding out I did not have the new o ring and felt washer I ordered them from pelican.

I installed them and following the pelican article I noticed the bearing was not flush in my flywheel it was protruding as much as the thickness of the felt washer. I'm not sure if that was the PO intention. I hammered it flush with the face that goes towards the crank, was this correct?

Before installing the new rear seal I wanted to ensure the endplay was correct. I put the 3 washers back on and hand tightened, lightly tightened with a wrench 3 flywheel bolts. I get anywhere from .05mm to .13mm .005in to .013in (dial gauge is in inches) depending on how hard I push the fan pully. Does this sound right? Without applying an after pressure it sits at .005in which is .127mm. But I can apply more force and increase the dial. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks all.
JOEPROPER
Tighten all flywheel bolts to spec and recheck end play. I did my first one like that and had to take it apart because when complete the end play readings were different.
nditiz1
Thanks Joe, I'll put the new RMS in with all 3 and recheck.
jcd914
I always installed the flywheel with the three shims using the old lock plate, all the flywheel bolt and NO seal.

Then measure.

If the end play is off and you have installed the seal you will have to pull the seal to change the shims. The seal probably won't survive being removed to replace a shim and you will have to replace it.

Always install a new lockplate when your done.
Jim
rjames
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Apr 13 2018, 01:26 PM) *

I always installed the flywheel with the three shims using the old lock plate, all the flywheel bolt and NO seal.

Then measure.

If the end play is off and you have installed the seal you will have to pull the seal to change the shims. The seal probably won't survive being removed to replace a shim and you will have to replace it.

Always install a new lockplate when your done.
Jim

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.