Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 6cyl with turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LongARM
Has anyone ever done a corvair 6cyl in a 914.???
LongARM
with picture too...
LongARM
without spare tire...
xsboost90
sure it could be done, but would it be reliable and does the motor turn the right direction for the tranny?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 7 2005, 07:30 AM)
...does the motor turn the right direction for the tranny?

911 transmissions are plentiful...

donno exactly why you'd want a Corvair engine, if you wanted an air-cooled 6, but it's your car, do what you want.

i'd rather see a properly engineered Corvair than a 911-engine hack job any day.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 7 2005, 07:07 AM)

donno exactly why you'd want a Corvair engine, if you wanted an air-cooled 6, but it's your car, do what you want.

maybe the type 4 doesn't leak enough oil for your taste? smile.gif

just kidding, I'm sure corvairs can be made to not leak... but according to the 2 my dad had, the leaks came standard...

IIRC the corvair spin backwards from our engines and you'd have to flip the ring (?) on the tranny, unless you WANT 5 reverse gears to go with the exxon valdez driveway... lol2.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 7 2005, 10:02 AM)
IIRC the corvair spin backwards from our engines and you'd have to flip the ring (?) on the tranny, unless you WANT 5 reverse gears

911 transmissions come with the ring gear flipped standard...
Joe Bob
Lot of extra work for only 180hp....you can get that with a stock 3.0.
LongARM
Thanx ...just wondering if anyone had.
yeah i remember the oil leaks too..
Air_Cooled_Nut
With enough money most engine swaps are possible welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif
LongARM
hmmmmm... unsafe at any speed.??
Joe Bob
QUOTE (LongARM @ Jun 7 2005, 04:28 PM)
hmmmmm... unsafe at any speed.??

Naders book was based on the premise that the early rear ends allowed the car to roll when over corrected in a panic manuever. His book killed the model even after GM upgraded the suspension.

Kind of like the Ford Exploder...'cept today they have better spin doctors to counter the critics....

JWest
You can't turbo a 914-'vair...
ewdysar
Nader's next book "Small on Safety" was basically the same book about VW's. Described the same swing axle design problems, published the same year that the car manufacturer switched to IRS, eliminated the major complaint, just like the Corvair. VW's had a lower incedent ratio, because lower HP kept the speeds around 75 mph, compared to the higher Corvair speeds.

On the plus side, he did put the fear of the press into the auto industry. They've responded with some design improvements, but more often better spin... idea.gif

Eric
redshift
Never a truer word spoken.

It's all spin. Everything has become spin. I like substance.

M
Dr Evil
I was in the process of doing this before I was given a Porsche 6. I still have the engine.
Here are the facts:
-New viton seals make the engines less leak prone
-you can easily purchase a reverse cam ( I have one)
-they are much less expensive to maintain, buy, and rebuild.
-easily modified.

I am selling mine right now (not actively yet, but I will list soon). I have it boared out and modified to use stock 2.0 TI VW pistons and cylinders. This gives a 3.2 displacement and should putout a reliable 180hp with 190fp of tq. The only thing left to do is to put it together and put it in the car. The corvair engine is very similar to the TIV and, as such is easy to work on. Ask Aaron, he has seen half of my engine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.