Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: v8 914 with whale tail
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
versus mounting a radiator in the front trunk?

While it kills the stock look - I think that keeping it all close to the engine area is a good thing? Only having to cut some holes in a rear trunk lid and design some sort of scoop/duct work that could house the radiator and radiator fan/s. Something ike this but more massive.

user posted image
Joe Bob
That's the English 914 with twin turbos....pretty sure the radiator is up front and the scoop is a ram air for the intake.
neo914-6
Here's a rear oil cooler:

Are you building a V8 conversion?
seanery
actually felix, his intercooler is back there.

There is a V8 914 with whale tail for sale right now in the classifieds....maybe buy that one.
jimkelly
I don't even have my car yet but should have them sometime this week. I'd like to make it a sleeper v8 car with as many new parts as possble but keep cost low. I'm think a crate motor - maybe this one - http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAct...D&ProdID=24755- 250hp. I'd like to do is asap before I put any money into the exisitng motor/tranny/clutch - my parts car is a 74 and I will probably gte that tranny rebuit for the conversion cause it has side shift as I understand it. The parts car also has 911 suspension and brakes but I am not sure of their condition.

The trunk has plenty of space - a louvered trunk lid with some ducting beneath, with radiator mounted in the trunk versus above it with fans in between and maybe an outlet for the air to flow thru the floor might work. Maybe because if gravity most radiators are in the front - I am just thinking shorter run for the plumbing would be nice.
Mueller
I'd like to make it a sleeper v8 car

not with an ugly (IMHO) whale tail on the car smile.gif
kinda ruins the "sleeper" look biggrin.gif

my best advice is try it, worse thing to happen is that it does not cool too well and you'll move the radiator back up front. You will be doing something "new" and undocumented, you will not find plans or directions on how to do the radiator in the rear trunk, don't get mad when you ask questions and not get a straight answer since you might be breaking new ground and no one has BTDT yet.

I have have never seen anyone do it, and of course just a few months ago a bunch of us had been proven wrong when a Subaru conversion guy successfully installed his radiator inside the engine compartment in front of his engine, he's put something like 5000 miles on it and it works.

There is a guy that has installed a radiator in the rear spoiler of a 911, it's a little on the ugly side (my opinion again), but as far as I know, it works.....

avendlerdp
Why fight the front mount? Better weight distribution and cooling tell me the front mount is better. Running the hoses is not hard at all. If you are really worried about cutting up the car, let the air vent through the hood and that way all you are cutting is the front bulkhead. My V8 has the simplest front mount system and it cost very little as well. Just my $.02.

-Alexjavascript:emoticon(':sawzall:')
jd74914
QUOTE ("*" @ Jun 7 2005, 09:38 AM)
That's the English 914 with twin turbos....pretty sure the radiator is up front and the scoop is a ram air for the intake.

just outof curiousity, has anyone ever talked to this guy. His site doesn't have much info on the hp or any driving impressions. cool.gif
Joe Bob
Prolly language difficulties...English versus 'Murican....
skline
There is a 914 with a trunk mounted radiator, he lives right around the corner from me. He has a Buick 3800 FI installed in his 914 and he mounted the radiator in the trunk and drove it from coast to coast with no problems. I talked to him the othr day and he said he is going to get a new rear deck lid and mount the radiator up front. It cools ok but he wants his trunk back. The hole in the rear deck lid is hard to cover up with anything that looks decent. I have some pictures here somewhere, I will look for them and post them.
skline
Ok, I found a couple of them. This is what he did. Keep in mind it is only a 6 cylinder. He wants to turbo the car so he doesnt think it will cool enough one that is done.
skline
One more
maf914
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 7 2005, 07:50 AM)
There is a guy that has installed a radiator in the rear spoiler of a 911, it's a little on the ugly side (my opinion again), but as far as I know, it works.....

If anyone is a fan of the old Can-Am series you may remember the original Shadow Can-Am car. It had some wild ideas that never really came together. The car was amazingly low with go-cart diameter wheels and tires and a big honkin' Chevy big block out back. Anyway, it originally had its radiators mounted inside the rear strut mounted wing with the air intakes on the leading edge of the wing. They dropped the idea pretty soon. In fact that initial car was pretty much scrapped after a few outings. It took them a few years and a move to more conventional ideas before they became winners. Of course that was after the 917/10 and 917/30 had come and gone. laugh.gif
neo914-6
avendlerdp,

Tell us more and post pics of your car.

We are close to listing 100 non-OEM conversions by club members, see my link below. smilie_pokal.gif
BIGKAT_83
After reading the thread I tried to think of some mid/rear engine water cooled cars that didn't have a front mounted radiator.

I don't really see going to the trouble of not front mounting it in a V8 conversion
Katmanken
Lamborghini Countach....

Rear mounted radiators, lotsa cooling vent versions over the years..

Ken
jimkelly
I guess you guys have convinced me that front mounted raditor is best. Thanks for the pics of the rear trunk mounted car. I really need renegade and rhs to post more detailed pics of each portion of their set ups and installation proceedures so I can visualize each step. Jimbo driving.gif

Oh yeah - just got an email - my cars will be coming on saturday. mueba.gif I am cleaning out my one car garage for the driver and the parts car will go outside, next to me house, covered.

Jim
McMark
I'm glad you decided to put it up front. There are some really clean installations for the front trunk and it's really the "professional" looking way to go. Keep us posted.
neo914-6
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Jun 7 2005, 05:36 PM)
I guess you guys have convinced me that front mounted raditor is best. Thanks for the pics of the rear trunk mounted car. I really need renegade and rhs to post more detailed pics of each portion of their set ups and installation proceedures so I can visualize each step. Jimbo driving.gif

Oh yeah - just got an email - my cars will be coming on saturday. mueba.gif I am cleaning out my one car garage for the driver and the parts car will go outside, next to me house, covered.

Jim

Good luck, they only give you that info after you've purchased their kit laugh.gif

Do a search or post a question on this site and you'll find or get lot's of pics...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.