Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Lines..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DougC
Can someone say for sure what size oil lines I have here? I need to buy a couple of AN straight end connectors (if anyone has some for sale) and don't want to guess. The larger one on the left will be going to the engine mounted oil cooler from the tank and the other is the scavenging side to the tank (sorry, this is for a six if it's not obvious). Could the large one be AN-16 which is optimum, right?

Doug C
Joe Bob
What's the outside diameter of the fittings?

Get that and call either BAT Inc or Pegasus....if you have a local specialty hot rod marine shop. they ususally have that stuff in stock.
ArtechnikA
since the 'big' one is 1" on the outside of the braid i'd guess it's AN-12 (nominal OD is 15/16").
-16 would be 1-5/32" OD.

here's a sizing chart for you:
Earl's Perform-O-Flex Hose

the small one looks like -10 ...
DougC
Thanks for that chart it will come in handy. 12 & 10 are my guess but wanted to be sure. So, what is the -16 recommended for again, was it external cooler back to tank?

Doug C
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (DougC @ Jun 7 2005, 02:29 PM)
... what is the -16 recommended for again, was it external cooler back to tank?

there are plausible arguments for why each of the lines should be -16...

i have allowed myself to be convinced that if you're only doing one, it should be the inlet line from the tank to the pressure pump - with an internal anti-collapse support. that's the shortest one too - the line from the tank to the external connection on the bottom of the oil cooler. oil starvation to the pressure pump is very bad.

another reasonable compromise might be to run AN-16 to (and from) the thermostat, on the theory that if oil is being bypassed at the thermostat it's cold and thick and pressure restrictions should be minimised. that'd leave you with possibility of running AN-12 lines to and from the front cooler, and any oil getting past the thermostat should be hot and thin.

since it's also your longest run, restrictions are bad, but since it's your longest run, it's also your most expensive.

partly it comes down to what ports you have at the cooler. probably no point running -16 lines to a cooler with -12 ports...
DougC
Very good info, Thanks! So - there's no problem in reducing an AN-16 (or -12 for that matter) to this adapter? (It'll be attached to the cooler).... It's smaller than the larger of my two lines. AND I don't know the thread count but I assume it's AN.

Doug C
DougC
oops, forgot the picture.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
don't ass-u-me and the thread count is not helpful. IIRC, 45-degree SAE fittings (naturally...) use the same sizes but the flare angles are NOT compatible with AN's 37-deg. find a KNOWN AN male fitting and compare flare angles.

that fitting looked awful small... if the ID of the fitting is smaller than AN-12's nominal ID, it's not gonna flow enough oil...

i'm confused on what you're doing with adapters and such - what is the actual connection to the cooler - and what kind of cooler is it?

and while you may be able to get adapters, stepping down from big lines to teeny ports is not going to get you the effect you need...
DougC
Here's a better pic of the adapter.. I'll be using it to attach the AN (prob -12) hose from the oil tank to the on board oil cooler, as you can see in the pic. I will be using a 90degree AN fitting to connect the two.

Doug C
DougC
BTW, I just set that thing on top of the stock (unmodified) slip-on cooler in-let, in the picture.

Doug C
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (DougC @ Jun 7 2005, 03:51 PM)
Here's a better pic of the adapter.. I'll be using it to attach the AN (prob -12) hose from the oil tank to the on board oil cooler, as you can see in the pic. I will be using a 90degree AN fitting to connect the two.

okay - just so we're clear...

that -is- the suction line to the inlet of the pressure pump.
it kinda looks like it might have something to do with the oil cooler, but the oil cooler is just a fancy mounting bracket for the little pipe that runs under the cooler that connects that fitting to the inlet of the pressure pump.

and before you commit to attaching a straight bumg to the cooler and using a 90* fitting, v-e-r-y carefully measure the amount of clearance available.

and have a look in a couple of the other threads going on right now about /6 cooler fittings - because there is VERY LITTLE clearance bewtwen the cooler outlet and the suspension in that area. that's the big reason why people use angled weld fittings. the OEM 914.6 cooler is different from the 911 cooler for this very reason...
ArtechnikA
914.6 cooler
John
agree.gif

You should look at a 90degree weld fitting for the oil cooler mod. There are several pics of the oil cooler mod on the site.

Do a search and many should appear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.