Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Pelican lists two throttle cables. One for the /4 and one for the /6. But it won't let me buy the /4 one. I have carbs with the cable hooked up to the front of the linkage (firewall side). Someone told me the /6 is just longer.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopca..._pedals_pg2.htm

What to do?

The threaded mounting collar snapped on my cable. Does anyone have one I can buy? Where can i find a new one?
tat2dphreak
all the usual places carry them: performance products, paragon, GPR, etc... you can even get them off ebay from ?? but I dunno what the differences are with these... I've been told the "terry" cable is better than the OEM
JWest
Get the Terry cable.
Tobra
Sorry to revive an old thread, but how is the Terry cable superior to the OEM. I am getting my stuck by the side of the road kit together. Getting a cable(OEM or Terry) along with some spare relays, fuses, pack of JB weld, rotor, condensor and cap, plug wire or two etc
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (yarin @ Jun 7 2005, 04:57 PM)
Someone told me the /6 is just longer.

it is not "just" longer -- the end fitting is different.
the /6 cable terminates in a threaded stud for attaching the ball socket.
the /4 cable terminates in a slender unthreaded pin for attaching to the throttle body with the screw/clamp fastener.

the Terry cable appears to be sturdier and is Teflon lined for smoother operation. but most people have no issues with the OEM cables that last a long time too. pick one.
bd1308
when should these be replaced?

I have two nuts acting as spacers on the clutch cable
and the throttle cable is okay as well...

do people usually replace these when they break?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 26 2005, 11:59 AM)
do people usually replace these when they break?

since it's either that or park the car, yes, we replace them when they break.

(?)
bd1308
no, lol

i mean are these replaced on any interval or just when they break....
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 26 2005, 09:06 AM)
no, lol

i mean are these replaced on any interval or just when they break....

when I got my 1st 914 it came with 20 years worth of reciepts, it appears the PO changed thier cables (throttle and clutch) about every other year.

"most" people change 'em when they break.....I'm installing new ones since I don't know the history of them with my new 914...not a bad idea.......

I've never seen them as a PM item in the manual, but I've never looked too hard for it........
bd1308
okay...

thats intresting.

thanks.
Sammy
The terry cable is made differently, it is much smoother and has less friction. Gud stuff based on my experience.

EDIT: That experience was limited to buying a new terry cable and installing it on the turbo, which was shipped to the new owner a week later. It felt wonderful when new and I really liked it, but I didn't keep the car long enough to see how long the darned thing would last.
TravisNeff
Terry cables supposedly will not stretch. I am a fan of the stock cable, it gives you added sheath to keep the crap out over the Terry.
scotty914
i had a terry cable break on me with only about 5 k miles. the stock cable has a sleave that goes in to the clutch tube about a foot, if there is a burr or any misalinge ment it takes the abuse, on my car the terry rubbed there and broke. i put in a used nut new look stock cable that has been there for about 30 k mile with out a problem
John
My "preference" is stock clutch cable (I've had less issues with them than "terry" cables)

Terry throttle cables (if they still make them). I have not had the one "terry" throttle cable that I bought fail since I installed it many many many moons ago. (watch it break on the way home tonight).....

It is my understanding that the stock cables are made of larger diameter wires. The terry cables, being made up of more strands of thinner wires will allow the cable to flex around bends easier than the more "rigid" stock cables.

I, as well as some others here, like the plastic sheath on the stock clutch cable. I think it helps prevent crap from accumulating on the cable itself.

just my $0.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.