Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas On Auxiliary Heating Systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 27 2018, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Apr 27 2018, 12:28 AM) *

So 12v and e.g. 100 amps from a high output alternator is unfeasible? idea.gif

You'll want to run #00 welding cables from the alt to the battery and from the battery to your heater...

--DD

For 1200 watts? Of course you would have to leave some of that behind for the other needs of the car. Step it up 110 with an inverter on the way and the wiring could be an extension cord. Which brings me to the Honda generator in the trunk idea. Small household space heater in the car.

Another idea is to put the webasto in the right rear wheel well and duct into the existing air system.

I want to go to WCR across the Rockies from me. Will I make it without a heat exchanger? The front fan works, and I can bundle up, but I do want to see ahead.
mepstein
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 27 2018, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 27 2018, 10:19 AM) *

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Apr 27 2018, 12:28 AM) *

So 12v and e.g. 100 amps from a high output alternator is unfeasible? idea.gif

You'll want to run #00 welding cables from the alt to the battery and from the battery to your heater...

--DD

For 1200 watts? Of course you would have to leave some of that behind for the other needs of the car. Step it up 110 with an inverter on the way and the wiring could be an extension cord. Which brings me to the Honda generator in the trunk idea. Small household space heater in the car.

Another idea is to put the webasto in the right rear wheel well and duct into the existing air system.

I want to go to WCR across the Rockies from me. Will I make it without a heat exchanger? The front fan works, and I can bundle up, but I do want to see ahead.

buy a heated seat pad. plug it into power outlet. fold it up when you get to WCR
worn

[/quote]
buy a heated seat pad. plug it into power outlet. fold it up when you get to WCR
[/quote]

OK. Thanks. Think the cold air will handle the defrost? While it may conceivably snow, I am really thinking about rain and possible wet clothing getting in and out of the car. That can fog things up. I also have some rained antifog.
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2018, 09:28 AM) *

I don’t understand why guys don’t like the ss heat exchangers. Jake Raby said they are good for up to 165-170hp engines. They are totally bolt on, reasonably priced and replacement parts are available. The system is light weight and works great.

I've been advised that the 1 5/8" headers that came with my car are part of why the engine is underperforming for a 2366. (Chris F's opinion here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2567229
).

So I'm intrigued by Jake Raby's statement, since I'd love to have heat and defog next winter. Wouldn't I lose more power by going to ss heat exchangers intended for a stock engine?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(98101 @ Apr 27 2018, 03:14 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 24 2018, 09:28 AM) *

I don’t understand why guys don’t like the ss heat exchangers. Jake Raby said they are good for up to 165-170hp engines. They are totally bolt on, reasonably priced and replacement parts are available. The system is light weight and works great.

I've been advised that the 1 5/8" headers that came with my car are part of why the engine is underperforming for a 2366. (Chris F's opinion here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?s=&...t&p=2567229
).

So I'm intrigued by Jake Raby's statement, since I'd love to have heat and defog next winter. Wouldn't I lose more power by going to ss heat exchangers intended for a stock engine?

I don't think that quote is correct, for HP Jake always said a proper sized header makes the most power. Ballpark 5% for stock to 15+% on a performance engine. A 180hp engine could lose 25hp with small 1-3/8" ID heat exchangers.
A header is the greatest bolt on HP you can add to your 914.
GeorgeRud
Maybe Ben (mb911) would make some if there was enough demand, but perhaps fabricating some outer envelopes over currently made headers may be a more reasonably priced alternative.
76-914
It was interesting to hear Scott? @PMS speak to the importance of not over sizing your exhaust. He showed us one car that never met it's potential until they reduced the size of the collector. He said that was one of the more common mistakes that we, the occasional builder make! This may apply to high output engines only; didn't ask.
Heated seats are a God send. I cannot have mine on high or I'll roast my arse. I have a water cooled conversion and never run the heat unless it's below freezing. Otherwise, I need to roll down a window to blend in some cold air. Before you make any attempt to add heat or AC seal and insulate! Replace the old door seals if they're torn, the old roof seals and plug any holes in the bulkhead including old worn grommets. beerchug.gif
larryM

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 28 2018, 12:36 PM) *

... perhaps fabricating some outer envelopes over currently made headers may be a more reasonably priced alternative.
beerchug.gif

EXCELLENT IDEA - should not be all that difficult for someone with the right sheet metal tools - there are clearly some among us who will take on any fabrication challenge

i made a set of templates long long ago off my oem -6 headers, but never bothered to follow thru on the idea (they are on a shelf somewhere)

(oem heat boxes make the routine obligatory tending to the valves etc a major PITA on both -4s & -6s)

- don't need heat in sunny california

- or if i do, i drive the Miata instead - maybe even top-down
theer
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 28 2018, 07:55 PM) *

I have a water cooled conversion and never run the heat unless it's below freezing. Otherwise, I need to roll down a window to blend in some cold air. Before you make any attempt to add heat or AC seal and insulate! Replace the old door seals if they're torn, the old roof seals and plug any holes in the bulkhead including old worn grommets. beerchug.gif

Do tell more of how you are getting heat with a water-cooled conversion. Here in New England, some of the nicest driving days are Spring & Fall when it can get a bit chilly after dark. Defog/defrost is the bigger issue, though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.