Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help with checking a car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
alexkirkham
hello, this is a plea for some help!

I'm new to the forum as I have only recently thought that buying a 914 would be a good idea. And I'm in the UK - lots of carbed cars, and plenty of rain and rust.

I'm after a car in a non metallic colour with working injection and ideally excellent condition / recent resto (I know everyone else is too!). And there is this orange car in hawthorne, CA that looks great... see: http://lticars.com/

however, it is ringing some alarm bells! Firstly, it's all shiny but there are no actual pictures of the resto available and there are no pics of the hell hole or rockers available. It's just possible that it hides deep problems. And secondly the seller's got some poor feedback on yelp!

But this isn't necessarily the end of the world: it just means I have to be very careful. And basically I wouldn't do it without someone with some experience having a look...

So firstly, anyone got any advice? And secondly, does anyone fancy going to have a look at it for me if they live close?? I'd be incredibly grateful. I'd make it worth your while (though I suspect that most of the folk on here are not motivated by that!)

thanks, in hope,

alex
sb914
Send a pm to member "ruby914"he lives in Hawthorne,and he's very knowledgeable!
Worth a try !!
Cairo94507
welcome.png Hi Alex, I am sure someone close to Hawthorne will step up. Car looks pretty decent in the pictures posted. But all of the wet-look spray makes me suspicious. The engine looks like it's never been out and leaks. But the price seems to be in the ballpark if it all checks out and they can provide pictures of all of the areas we worry about as well as proving it was restored properly. Good luck. beerchug.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
This is not a bad car now, and was and is a california car, so is probably rust free, but was not a very nice car before they started the "restoration" Probably at one time was color changed, hence the comprehensive repaint. However for the money there are much better cars still out there.
Look at a lot of the hardware previously painted black and half cleaned off, the DOT sticker missing in the door jamb, the body plate in the front right trunk painted over, the Karmann badge stripped of its paint, the aftermarket carpeting, the rusty brake backing plates, the 914 2.0 decal missing, the porsche silver lettering missing the cheap old kyb shocks and funky red aftermarket springs, the air guide plates missing the split heat exchanger (75 76 heat exchangers were fragile) (also LOVE the sunflower yellow intake tubes!!! LOL)

QUOTE(alexkirkham @ Apr 25 2018, 05:45 AM) *

hello, this is a plea for some help!

I'm new to the forum as I have only recently thought that buying a 914 would be a good idea. And I'm in the UK - lots of carbed cars, and plenty of rain and rust.

I'm after a car in a non metallic colour with working injection and ideally excellent condition / recent resto (I know everyone else is too!). And there is this orange car in hawthorne, CA that looks great... see: http://lticars.com/

however, it is ringing some alarm bells! Firstly, it's all shiny but there are no actual pictures of the resto available and there are no pics of the hell hole or rockers available. It's just possible that it hides deep problems. And secondly the seller's got some poor feedback on yelp!

But this isn't necessarily the end of the world: it just means I have to be very careful. And basically I wouldn't do it without someone with some experience having a look...

So firstly, anyone got any advice? And secondly, does anyone fancy going to have a look at it for me if they live close?? I'd be incredibly grateful. I'd make it worth your while (though I suspect that most of the folk on here are not motivated by that!)

thanks, in hope,

alex

Not that bad, had the firewall clutch tube repaired..Is the armor all hiding the faded out bumper tops? Good Luck..
alexkirkham
thanks very very much, people!
914_7T3
Try sending a PM to Euro911, he is right there in Torrance and very knowledgeable.
ConeDodger
Funny, I took a picture of that car outside the body shop after it had been painted.

I posted it somewhere here. The paint was done in Castro Valley. Basically Hawthorn.

I’d pass on it. I think it was a body shop project. Something they use to keep everyone busy and then flip it when they’re done. Laying off employees is expensive in California. blink.gif
Dave_Darling
If the VIN is available, or visible in the photos (they didn't all load for me) you can do a search on it. Google it, and also the "914 Info" link at the top-right of this page, then "Member VIN Numbers" toward the left side of that page. That should take you here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=membervins

Enter the VIN in the search box and you can see if anyone else has spotted it before. Sometimes some very interesting information comes up.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.