Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is everyone's feelings on engine conversions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
motorvated
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Apr 30 2018, 09:25 AM) *

My father gave me his 71 a few years ago that he purchased after returning from a tour in Vietnam. He drove it for about 5 years, put 56,000 miles on it then put it in a garage where it stayed until a few years ago.

My original plan was to build an engine to replace the 1.7 that is currently in the car. Recently I was having a conversation with a friend who told me he had a Ford straight six that I should put in the car. My question to everyone is, how do you feel about converting to a v-8, or any other "non-vw" engine? Does it make it less of a 914? No offense to those who have converted, I'd love your viewpoints as well.

How about a Buick 215 ci Aluminum V8 conversion. Motor weighs approx. 80 pounds more than a flat four and can be built with 200+ Hp. I have all the parts needed for a conversion, including a fresh engine, just haven't started the installation yet.
Larmo63
We have all given you the advice you asked for, now go and do what you were going to do anyway.

The V8 will work fine, ( I wouldn't ) go for it. chair.gif
jcd914
Lots of advice here 3 pages.

The OP has not been active since shortly after posting this.

Jim
Rand
Makes me wonder. Let's see if the OP is real.

Keep the weight low like the factory flat 4 or 6. Subaru if you want to introduce water. Beyond that I would not look past an aluminum LS if you want v8, don't bring a cast-iron block into this lightweight beauty. While the old Buick is aluminum, it's old and not a competitor anymore (you can get way more power2weight from a modern 4cyl).

Budget?

A straight six makes NO sense at all. Think about it. Whoever suggested that was ignorant. You want low and wide, not long and tall.
ConeDodger
914-6 GT clone. 3.2 Carrera powered.

No... I’m not biased! blink.gif
worn
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 1 2018, 05:57 PM) *

How does it get off the chair without getting the poles tangled up?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(worn @ May 1 2018, 11:07 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 1 2018, 05:57 PM) *

How does it get off the chair without getting the poles tangled up?

av-943.gif lol-2.gif laugh.gif
JRust
QUOTE(motorvated @ May 1 2018, 03:46 PM) *

How about a Buick 215 ci Aluminum V8 conversion. Motor weighs approx. 80 pounds more than a flat four and can be built with 200+ Hp. I have all the parts needed for a conversion, including a fresh engine, just haven't started the installation yet.

I have had this conversion. Weight wise it is great. It is far from a powerful v8 motor. It is a tight squeeze. You need to go with a remote electric water pump. The stock water pump sticks out was to far. My firewall was cutout so it came to right about where my elbow would go when kicking back. That is how far in it came to the car. This was with the 901 in it's stock location. I used renegade's setback blocks to move it back. That was only an inch & half. It did help some but still wasn't fitting behind the stock firewall with the water pump. Would just barely make it with a remote electric one. Fo all the trouble to do that motor. A suby six would be easier & more powerful. I would certainly not look past the ls motors for a v8 conversion. Those paired with a Boxster 6 speed tranny drooley.gif
914work
My feelings...Yaa Baby!

w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.