Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: lock glove compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
erwindv
I still have all my keys of the car but strangly none of them (black nor red) can turn the lock of the glove compartment.
I stripped the lock and apparently not all the pins are pushed back far enough to make the key turn.
Any idea how this could be solved (locksmith?)?

Thx.
Erwin

Click to view attachment

Tom_T
Yes, take the black key or one which works all locks & the cylinder to the locksmith to rekey it to your key.

It may not have been rekeyed after replacement of the glove box lock or something.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
bbrock
It's super easy to rekey those locks. There's a great tech article on how to do it http://www.914world.com/specs/rekey.php A real quick solution is to put your key in, note which pins stick out, and remove them. The lock won't be quite as secure because more keys will "fit" it, but it would allow your key to work.
Mike Bellis
Figure out which wafers are in the way, remove the key from the cylinder, use pliers to remove the rouge wafer. Inset key and turn.

You could replace the wafer with the correct one but my method works too.
Larmo63
Do people really lock their glove compartments? blink.gif
banananose914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 3 2018, 08:59 PM) *

Do people really lock their glove compartments? blink.gif

Of course they do. You don’t want your gloves stolen, do you?
erwindv
Thanks a lot for the information.

Great tutorial.

Erwin
toolguy
Rather than removing wafers entirely , the easiest answer is to insert key and file off the portion of the rwafers that protrude. . reinsert tumbler assembly into housing and test fit. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.