Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Used Koni Shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Could you guys take a look at these and give me some feedback.

Aaron says they look scarey... wink.gif
eeyore
It looks as if those custom lower perches not only adjust height, but pre-load as well. Somewhat clever.
SLITS
If the Koni shocks are good, they are good. You would have to disassemble them and check the resistance to be sure......$75 eacn isn't to bad....I would prefer $50, but then I am Forengi.

Adjustable is nice.......

Aaron is a scare-dy-kat.....we'll waste your money for you.....buy....buy....buy until you drop.
Marlow
"have been cleaned out and reassembled with motorcycle fork oil"

Are they still Koni's if the oil's been changed to something else? Did they use motorcycle oil to start with?
Mueller
i'd save my money and buy brand new Koni Yellows.....

Thorshammer
Suspension fluid is similar in it's working ability.

If someone contacted Koni and got a Viscosity this is posssible and will be more available than getting fluid from Koni. However the Viscosity must be known.

A drip cup test can be performed and even though the fluid will be old and worn out (yes it does wear out) an idea of what V is used can be found. A drip cup/funnel has the suspension fluid poured into it after being heated to a given temp. Then a stop watch is used and the drops are counted over a period of time. Next the fluid is heated to a higher temp and the process repeated. This will establish a viscosity AND a Viscosity index. A VI of over 380 will be a decent fluid, Some (spectro) motorcycle fluids have a VI of 400. Which indicates temperature stability over a range. Some fluids do not list a drip cup method and are labeled using SAE 2.5 wt, 5 wt, 7.5 wt etc... I have found many pf these fluids when tested are plus or minus 2wt up AND down. Most oil manufacturers use a base stock and blend from there. Normally the lighter the fluid the less change in damping characteristics over a given temperature range. I have actually heard of an engineer that used WATER as a shock fluid (with a touch of Redline water wetter as a lubricant) on a GTP car, but it had to be changed every session.

Some fluids are petroleum and some are a synthetic blend. Polymer enhanced suspension fluid is NOT recomended due to the fact that shock valving has a tendency to shear the tiny fingers off of the polymers when pushed through valves and valving.

As for these shocks, Koni is a good shock. I would however find out the cost of a KONI rebuild and factor that into the price of what you are buying.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Post script: I have intentionally not described every detail, If a fluids engineer would like to comment and describe the process and the temperatures please do so as I only intended to impart a general idea of suspension fluid.
Allan
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 8 2005, 07:10 PM)

So where is the cheapest place to get new ones??? The last quote I got was for almost $700.00. blink.gif
gfulcher
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 8 2005, 09:10 PM)

I concur. Used shocks are just that. I have six Konis sitting in a box in various states of disrepair. It's really hard to tell, if not impossible, if the shocks are any good when there are coils around 'em.

I recently swapped out my red Koni's for a new set of four Yellow's with adjustable spring perches and can honestly say, the Koni Sport's are sweet as sweet can be. A bit pricey, yes - but worth every penny.

-greg
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.