Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing driveshaft at transmission
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
1. How do I get the drive shaft separated from the transmission at the transmission (not the wheel side)? I've got all the bolts loose. Haynes manual says to insert a blade or Chisel. Where?

2. Does the rubber boot come off? How? Cut the clamp holding it?

3. Do I need to take the wheel off?

Thanks!
Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
right here, that is the paper gasket, a flat bladed screwdriver will work to free the CV from the axle flange. The boot will pull straight off (it is bonded to the metal cover), you may need to pry a little bit.
LowBridge
it has 2 roll pins holding it on the spline so doing what Travis says will pop it right off or sometimes with a few small taps of a hammer will free it up also.
bretth
On mine I just lay a 2x4 against the side of the CV and tapped the wood with a hammer a little on each side. Popped loose this way with fairly light tapping.
Boomingbeetle
You don’t need to take the wheel off. If you fiddle with it a bit then I think you’ll see it start to separate, it doesn’t take much. Are you trying to get the sidecover off to look at the R&P? once you separate the shaft, there’s a long bolt deep in the middle of the axle stub that threads into the differential. I think it’s a 19mm Head. You’ll need to remove that to get the cover off and the axle stub out.
porschetub
Deadblow hammer on the joint nearer the axle.if they aren't tight you need to know why,the function of the roll pins is important.
I tighten my CV bolts at 32ft/lbs with a torque wrench,no gasket used and never had grease puke barf.gif .
Go well beer.gif .
Larmo63
The built up muck on these acts like a sort of glue. Don't be shy, but be careful. You'll see it pop apart. smash.gif
Dr Evil
You can carefully wedge a blunt flathead screw driver in there, displacing the gasket, and pry. Just be carful not to put big ole gouges in the surfaces, but it is not like the sealing surface of a head or anything.
914 RZ-1
I got it. I used a chisel and dead blow hammer. I tapped it first to loosen it then hit the chisel where the gasket is, then rotated it, then did it again, going around until it broke loose. Thanks for the help!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ May 8 2018, 09:49 PM) *

I got it. I used a chisel and dead blow hammer. I tapped it first to loosen it then hit the chisel where the gasket is, then rotated it, then did it again, going around until it broke loose. Thanks for the help!

Mozeltov! Ya didn’t goof it up smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.