Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Darksude
Is there a way we can adjust the clutch? Me and my dads friend who works on cars tried to fix my previous issue with it unable to get into fourth and fifth. So we pulled the stick and base off completely and he couldn’t figure it out so we set it back on and now it still won’t go into fourth and fifth but now second gear is reverse. How can I re adjust the clutch?
bandjoey
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257269

See the pdf file.
All you ever need to know about transmission.on the 914. The adjustment is at the rear of the cable by the way. Hope this helps.
Darksude
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 13 2018, 07:17 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=257269

See the pdf file.
All you ever need to know about transmission.on the 914. The adjustment is at the rear of the cable by the way. Hope this helps.

I’ll definitely look at it. All we did was take the sick off. Wiggle and pull the rod and then set it back on. I don’t know if maybe we did something and it’s off again
VaccaRabite
There are so many potential issues here before you even get into the workings of the transmission.

Are you asking about clutch adjustment (the pedal you push with your feet) or shifter adjustment (the lever you move with you arm). It sounds like you are asking about the shifter, and not the clutch.

How are the bushings? Do you know if they have ever been replaced or upgraded? Worn out (and often missing) bushings can make shifter adjustments very difficult.

You adjust the shifter with the stick on. You find the 2/3 plane and work from there.

Zach
Darksude
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 13 2018, 08:57 PM) *

There are so many potential issues here before you even get into the workings of the transmission.

Are you asking about clutch adjustment (the pedal you push with your feet) or shifter adjustment (the lever you move with you arm). It sounds like you are asking about the shifter, and not the clutch.

How are the bushings? Do you know if they have ever been replaced or upgraded? Worn out (and often missing) bushings can make shifter adjustments very difficult.

You adjust the shifter with the stick on. You find the 2/3 plane and work from there.

Zach

You’re right. It’s not the clutch but the stick. But how do I get the shifter back to its normal placing. It’s off somehow cause it keeps going in reverse. I don’t know if I need to pull the rod forward and then back or what. Thanks for the advice though.
euro911
A couple more questions ...

Do you have a Haynes or equivalent 914 service manual?

Do you have a tail-shift ('70~'72) or side-shift ('73~'76) transaxle?

I would suspect the rod bushings are shot, and the bushings are different for the different type of transaxles.
ottox914
- determine if you have a tail or side shift transmission.
- inspect all bushings and replace any that are at all worn.
- adjusting the linkage will resolve how the action of the shift lever matches the patten.
- shifting will be better but never like a Miata or S2K.
bandjoey
Like I said. The PDF covers EVERYthing about the shifter and clutch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.