Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of selling...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scruz914
QUOTE (Eric Taylor @ Jun 9 2005, 08:03 PM)
It seems that compared to the hit your going to take in the price, you'd be best off just storing the car. Prices of storage can not be that much compared to the investment in the car. I'm sure your going to want it back some day, and at that point it will be near impossiable to get that car again in that condition with out dropping the money to build another one like it.If it were me I would keep it.
Eric

agree.gif

A few years down the road you will really regret selling that car. Think about what you have put into it and what it would take to replace it years from now. Keep it and enjoy driving it whenever you can.
Jake Raby
Someone emailed me and said the car may be for sale- it got me on here in a heart beat!

DO NOT SELL THIS CAR!

Cars this clean, done this correctly are almost impossible to find...

This engine is one of the best 2270s that has ever left my shop! Even though it is an older build from a few years back it was way ahead of its time. Thus far this one has the best MPG of any Carbureted 2270 to date and has all the goodies inside it....

Don't let someone get it that won't appreciate it- Please!

Brian, I may have an Asian customer located in Singapore that would pay you a chunk for the car. He already has 6 of my engines in everything from beetles to 356s and was looking for a 914 not very long ago- If he wants it, he gets it and he only buys perfect vehicles. He would appreciate the car...

Okay, back to work for me, see ya'll later!
scruz914
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 9 2005, 10:57 PM)
the problem is the 914 crowd does not attract many who like things done right, so when they see a car done right, they can't understand the value.

Ummm... I think that is a generic statement that can be applied to the classic car market in general. It is very common for an enthusiast to put more money into restoring a car then it can be sold for.

Just because the market (supply and demand) doesn't support every day sales of $20k 914s doesn't make 914 owners cheap or not appreciate the value of something done right. There are many members here who have really nice 914s that were done right. And, as you can see by the posts in this thread, many members appreciate it when someone does a nice job. Not one post in this thread expressed that too much money was put into this car.

-Jeff
redshift
When you find out how much the guy in Singapore will pay, PM me.

M
scruz914
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 9 2005, 11:33 PM)
When you find out how much the guy in Singapore will pay, PM me.

M

Aren't you unemployed at the moment?
redshift
Yes, but I have stuff.

M
Eric Taylor
Hey miles, are you serious about buying his car if it was an option?
Eric
redshift
I was about to throw 3/4 of that at my car, and still need alot of stuff.

Makes sense. I need those wheels, wanted that suspension.. nice motor in the deal.. obviously beautiful brown interior... (someone would want.. smile.gif)

There is someone out there with more cash, I am really looking for something close to that, but not really that. She's just so beautiful... you look, and you say... "Ahhh... I could live with that... for a while."..

Anyhow.. back to drawing on cars with no doors..

M
tat2dphreak
I say keep it, drive it on some days when you feel like it, protect it in the garage when you don't... you'll regret selling if if you let it go for the 15-20k that it would bring.... it's worth much more than that...

Yellowbeard
You know, one solution would be to find some really worthy person who doesn't have a whole lot of money to spend but has a lot of heart and loves 914s (wait, I think I just described half the forum....) and give it to him. Especially if he is blonde and has just gotten married - it would make a /lovely/ wedding gift.

Then you would have the satisfaction of having made someone's life wonderful - what better pay could you ask?

wink.gif
spare time toys
I bet that guy who pays with a money order that is waaay toooo much and wants you to send the extra to his agent in Cokamunga would snap this one up. laugh.gif
mudfoot76
I have a climate controlled garage and I would happily park my daily driver outside for the privilidge of storing your beautiful car. I'd even make sure it gets driven once in a while, just to keep seals and such in good condition. I'll change oil regularly, and make sure the tank stays full with only the best premium fuels available. I'll make sure no dust ever settles on the paint, no insects/critters take up residence on, under, or even near it. I'll buy brand new Egyptian cotton cloths custom made for the sole purpose as cleaning cloths for the windows and dash. I'll buy a nitrogen tank to fill the tires and maintain a proper pressure after having semicircular indentions put into the floor of my garage so that your tires don't get flat-spotted for where it will sit

Please, don't sell your car sad.gif
dangrouche
I can tell you from experience you will regret it. My 1st Porsche 914 was acquired in 1982; I lovingly restored it to be daily driver, even did a color change, I did it with little money while in college, I traded it in when CA smog laws became enacted and traded it into a brand new 1986 Jetta GLI. I traded the GLI in for a 1974 911 coupe, that car sat in my garage for 8 years; I got married, got 3 kids, mortgage, etc. I have since been driving a SUV 1991 Rodeo. After savings, I was able to use the 911 as down payment for a 1983 SC cabriolet. It sat around for 3 years. I sold that cabriolet and have since gotten a 914; from the moment I drove the 914, it brought memories long forgotten. Even though I drive it less than 10 miles a month, I derive vicarious pleasure from its go-cart like feeling. The upshot of this diatribe is that you WILL REGRET IT. my 2cents.
anthony
10 miles a month! Once a month donut run?

You know, in the end these are just cars. If you lose interest and move on to a new marque or new hobby, it's no shame to sell your car. I got my silver 914 and my black 911 from owners who no longer drove their cars anymore. They both had them for a good number of years but eventually lost interest and the cars sat more than they were driven.

SirAndy
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Jun 9 2005, 10:53 PM)
I think you would get $25000 to $30000

while i'm all for raising the value of our little cars, i think you guys are being unrealistic.

no one (and i mean no-one) would pay $30k for a /4.
not even $20k. not without some really special things to it.
like proven racing history or a special factory build or a prototype.

he's got a very nice car and he dumped a lot of money into it but let's face it, he'll *never* get his money back. not even close.

sad.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 10:49 AM)

he's got a very nice car and he dumped a lot of money into it but let's face it, he'll *never* get his money back. not even close.

sad.gif Andy

agree.gif I don't think there is a 914 worth 50k...
vortrex
andy, why in the world would this car not be worth $15k-$20k? you have more than that into your car!!!
SirAndy
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:03 AM)
andy, why in the world would this car not be worth $15k-$20k?  you have more than that into your car!!!

i didn't say it wasn't worth that much. i said no-one will PAY that much ...

it's all nice us talking about how much a car is worth and how much it *should* sell for, but it's just that, us talking.
when was the last time you saw a nice /4 sell for $30k? i mean, actually SOLD for that amount of money ???

yes, i have over $20k in my car and i know i will *never* be able to get that back. not even half. and i don't care because i never planned on selling anyways ...
wink.gif Andy
vortrex
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 08:08 AM)
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:03 AM)
andy, why in the world would this car not be worth $15k-$20k?  you have more than that into your car!!!

i didn't say it wasn't worth that much. i said no-one will PAY that much ...

it's all nice us talking about how much a car is worth and how much it *should* sell for, but it's just that, us talking.
when was the last time you saw a nice /4 sell for $30k? i mean, actually SOLD for that amount of money ???

yes, i have over $20k in my car and i know i will *never* be able to get that back. not even half. and i don't care because i never planned on selling anyways ...
wink.gif Andy

I didn't say $30k, I said $15-$20k.

so why would someone like you, who spent $15k-$20k, not just spend $15k-$20k at once and be done with it? drive it on day one. a car totally done right. you could have the same reasoning, keep it forever. this is about as close as you will get to a "new" 914 that was professionally built by two of the best known 914 shops (raby and PM).
gregrobbins
while i'm all for raising the value of our little cars, i think you guys are being unrealistic.

Wrong. Go back and read Jake's post. There are some people that want one of every thing. They want the best and will pay for it. Like Craig said, all the right upgrades, done by a recognized shop.

Andy I respect your knowledge and value your opinion, but you have to see this car in person to see how complete and nice it is. To a serious car collector who wants the best, 30K is nothing.
SirAndy
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Jun 10 2005, 09:13 AM)
To a serious car collector who wants the best, 30K is nothing.

if you can find one, then by all means, do it!

all the serious car collectors i have met so far were much more interested in cars like factory GTs with racing history.
and yes, $30k is nothing for them ...

i know of one who has already spent upwards of $30k building a GT replica and the car isn't even a roller yet ...

my point was, no matter how nice the car is, it'll be hard to find someone to spend that much on a "simple" /4 ...

don't get me wrong guys, i'm not trying to downtalk that car. i love it! i just think you're not being very realistic when it comes to the current resale value ...
cool.gif Andy
anthony
Well, I think it would definitely sell in the $15-20K range - $30K would be a huge stretch.
SirAndy
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:12 AM)
so why would someone like you, who spent $15k-$20k, not just spend $15k-$20k at once and be done with it?

me personally? two reasons ...

1) i like building a car up myself. there's something about having done the work yourself ...

2) i like my car customized. even if i bought his car, i'd be thinking about flares and rollcages and a 3.6 conversion ...

wink.gif Andy
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 11:39 AM)
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 10 2005, 09:12 AM)
so why would someone like you, who spent $15k-$20k, not just spend $15k-$20k at once and be done with it?

me personally? two reasons ...

1) i like building a car up myself. there's something about having done the work yourself ...

2) i like my car customized. even if i bought his car, i'd be thinking about flares and rollcages and a 3.6 conversion ...

wink.gif Andy

agree.gif

it's scary that Andy and I are in agreement today, but every one has a different "vision" for their car... we all want our custom touches and personality in the car...

I couldn't be happy with anyone elses completed project, no matter how perfect it was for them... it wouldn't be "perfect" for me
ewdysar
This is (almost) exactly the car that I would build today. Even though doing it myself would cost way more money, I don't think that I would pay $20K, and I'm stupid when it comes to this kind of thing (ask my wife). If I could "buy it now" for $15K, I'd have some serious 'splaining to do at home, but I'd probably figure how to make it happen. Of course there's a bunch of people with more money than I have... 15 to 20k sounds accurate to me.

Eric
Rand
Random thoughts after reading this thread...

I'd hate to see you sell it because you'll take a loss. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's worth the highest price to a collector who has plenty of money and just wants to buy it and have it. Very nice car!

I will spend more on my project in the long run and it won't be as nice. Is that foolish spending? No, I can't afford to just pay the full amount up front. My project will nickel and dime me to death, but I can afford a nickel and dime along the way easier than I can fork over the full amount at once. Kinda like making payments.

Building my project is a hobby. I don't care if I don't recover my investment. I am enjoying the build.
ewdysar
My advice is to keep it, I stored mine for 13 years waiting for it to come back around in my life. Glad I did it.

It sounds like you're going to keep it for now. But just in case, I am actually offering $15K.

Eric
GWN7
Yellowbeard...your going to fit right in here biggrin.gif laugh.gif beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Aren't you unemployed at the moment?

Miles has guitars worth more than most of our houses... cool_shades.gif

(but he doesn't have any vintage Recaro Sport seats) alfred.gif
Bleyseng
There are only a couple of 4 cars I can think of that would bring over $15k
1. A real COA Grasshopper
2. The white Bumpered 76 "Special" 914 with all the Factory Guys standing around it.
3. A real COA Sporto 4 banger
gregrobbins
I don't think there is a 914 worth 50k...

No question that both of the two factory 914-8s with the 908 motors are worth more than 50K. Someone like Seinfeld would love to add one of them to their collection. Also the #40 Sonauto class winner at Le Mans if it still exists.

As for the remark that Brian's car has a "simple" 4, I don't think so, but I'll let Jake respond to that.

2. The white Bumpered 76 "Special" 914 with all the Factory Guys standing around it.

Recently a restored LE without the original motor and carburators sold for $15000. Would the original motor with D-Jet added to the value? Probably. So there may be a few others, but not many.

Will he sell it? Who knows and even if he does, there isn't much chance we will ever find out the price. Fun to speculate.
GWN7
Look on ebay for 356's. There were way more of those made (built for 16 yrs) than 914's (6 yrs). Of the 17 compleated 356 sales from May 26th to June 10th, the cars average was $22,000

Now look at the 914's - 23 sales (same period) average price $2570

A 356 roller went for $2,325

Earlier this year a 914-6 roller went for almost that much.

Are prices out of line, Yep. They have been going up over the last few years. In 10 years (356's were built from 49-66) they (914's) might be equal to what 356's are bring these days. But what will 356's bring?

For every 914 that is cut up, it adds $10 to the price of your car.

All I need is 2000 more 914's cut up and mine will be worth something. smile.gif
anthony
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 10 2005, 05:19 PM)

You can add this one to your list. There was also that Italian concours condition 914-4 that sold for low twenties a couple of years ago on ebay.

This car is a custom hod rod 914 with an engine that costs 2-3X what most 914s are worth. You can't class this car with stock 914s.

mack914
Set up an E-bay account and and buy it for the club member who has the worst looking car and can prove it. wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif
vortrex
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 10 2005, 04:19 PM)

this is just plain silly.
GWN7
This one went for just over 17K and it was a 6............
boxstr
I have said it before and I will say it again. Using an auction, be it BJ or Ebay, Russo and Steele, Bonhams, Silver, Kruse or Meccums is not a true indicator of value for a vehicle. There are to many unknowns and outside variables that can seriously alter the sale price of a car at auction.You do not know for sure if the car actually sold, it may have been a shill bidder. The price may have been negotiated up or down after the auction is over. To many unknowns. It is fun to watch and observe the prices people pay for cars at auction. But remember one thing "The price you pay is the price you are comfortable with, not necessarily the value of the vehicle."
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
mistro
QUOTE (ewdysar @ Jun 10 2005, 03:16 PM)
My advice is to keep it, I stored mine for 13 years waiting for it to come back around in my life.  Glad I did it.

It sounds like you're going to keep it for now.  But just in case, I am actually offering $15K.

Eric

I agree keep it and store it, but just for the record, I'm actually offering $15.5K Rgds, Michael
SpecialK
Wow ohmy.gif ...Thanks Miles.......I didn't see that rust that was hidden by his obviously photoshopped original photo of the car........The extent that some people will go to sell their rust buckets.....I'll give you $200 for it right now, and won't tell anyone about it......no....really! wink.gif biggrin.gif
vortrex
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 10 2005, 08:23 PM)

yeah, and how can you even begin to compare those two cars??? the -4 is a full blown professional down to bare metal chassis restoration with raby 2270 motor, new trans, new suspension, 16" fuchs, new interior, etc, etc, etc.
Bleyseng
QUOTE (vortrex @ Jun 11 2005, 09:41 AM)
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 10 2005, 08:23 PM)

yeah, and how can you even begin to compare those two cars??? the -4 is a full blown professional down to bare metal chassis restoration with raby 2270 motor, new trans, new suspension, 16" fuchs, new interior, etc, etc, etc.

but there are 914-4's out there with low miles (13k?) in original condition that I would buy first over a restoration. Just because someone paid $50k to make a new 914 4 car doesn't mean its worth $50k. Not when there still are low mile original cars out there for $10k.

Ok, it does have a Raby motor but that doesn't increase its value $10k. Its not what you invested its what the market will bear for the end result.
Still its a great car!
IMHO there are only a few 4 cars that are worth alot of money due to their rarity which is what separates them from the common 4.

I see John Lowe is selling his 914/6GT project for $50k, now is that worth it???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.