Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thinking of selling...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Hi_Fi_Guy
914Club members. After much deliberation I have decided to get out of Porsches for a while. The Boxster is gone and I have just about talked myself into letting the 914 go.

user posted image

For those who don't know my car it is a 1974 with a few mods:
Raby 2270 TYPE IV
Full chassis & body restoration by Patrick Motorsport
- New paint, sail panels, all rubber moldings replaced with Porsche parts,
- New windsheild & windshield trim
- Carerra front suspension and brake upgrades (5 lug conversion)
- Coil overs in rear with PM rear brake upgrade (handbrake IS functional)
- Adjustable front sway bar
- Rebuilt Transaxle
- Fiberglass decklids & bumpers
- 6 x 16 Fuchs
New interior using German materials from World Upholstery
New interior & trunk carpets via Morphenspectra plus headliner
Decklid struts & original Blaupunkt from Camp 914

Well over $50k spent to date, litterally no expense spared. Car has won it's class in 3 PCA events (out of 3 entered) and has been featured in a few Regional PCA mags.

I hate to put it on eBay if I don't absolutely have to. I want to find it a good home and still get a fair price. So, what should I be asking for this car? What is it really worth in the market today?
redshift
huh.gif

Uhh... wow.. I like that one... and.. all..

m
MoveQik
That car is spotless. Hate to see you get rid of it. Can you ask around here locally? I would think one of the shops mught know someone. Damn....I wish I was in the market for a 100% flawless car. Wait a minute, I am in themarket. It's my wife that isn't biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
that car is gorgeous... it makes me sad you are letting it go, and sad I don't have the dollar-dollar bills to pay for it... what's it worth? I wouldn't know where to venture a guess... sad.gif
redshift
I like it.

rolleyes.gif

How much? Come on somebody...

M
grantsfo
I'd buy it for about $8-$10K
redshift
I'll pay more than him!

Where do you set your maximum bid here?

laugh.gif

M
bwilless
Sad to say, but you'll never get even 1/2 your money back. Your best bet is to keep it and enjoy it.
MoveQik
agree.gif
redshift
QUOTE (bwilless @ Jun 9 2005, 10:21 PM)
Sad to say, but you'll never get even 1/2 your money back. Your best bet is to keep it and enjoy it.

Don't listen to him! He has a 914...

He's crazy! wacko.gif

rolleyes.gif

M
GWN7
While your car is great, you would be better off hanging on to it. The values for a 4 (even with a Raby engine) you might recoupe $0.25 on the dollar spent.

If you do sell it, someone will be getting a great car.
redshift
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Jun 9 2005, 10:23 PM)
(edited to remove bias)

The values for a 4 (even with a Raby engine) you might recoupe $0.25 on the dollar spent.

I'll pay more than him too!

M
tat2dphreak
I hate to say it, but they are right, you MIGHT get what a not-special /6 conversion goes for.... which isn't fair for a very special 4... the car SHOULD be worth more than 15k, but the world isn't fair like that.... sad.gif

redshift
Ok, I see a number in the distance...

M
ablose58
WOW, that looks just like mine, but nicer smilie_pokal.gif laugh.gif I should buy it then I will have 2 almost identical cool_shades.gif monkeydance.gif AL
redshift
mad.gif
Eric Taylor
t seems that compared to the hit your going to take in the price, you'd be best off just storing the car. Prices of storage can not be that much compared to the investment in the car. I'm sure your going to want it back some day, and at that point it will be near impossiable to get that car again in that condition with out dropping the money to build another one like it.If it were me I would keep it.
Eric
xsboost90
stick it in the corner, cover it up.
TravisNeff
Pictures don't do that car justice. You think it looks great in a photo, wait till you see it in person. Don't sell it, as others say you won't get what you put into it. Your car is at a level a lot higher than a "great" car.

Find another solution if possible, unless you are getting out other than financial reasons.
SpecialK
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Jun 9 2005, 05:56 PM)
...and I have just about talked myself into letting the 914 go.

"just about" being the operative phase here....You've been driving with the top off too much in the AZ desert, and have a serious case of heat stroke. I recommend getting into the shade immediately with a 6er of your favorite beverage to contemplate idea.gif the "total badness" of your car. pray.gif

redshift
boldblue.gif look.... I gotta pee.... but I am with them... except I covet your car, so I will just lie alot, and beat you up...

...but I will pay more than them... smile.gif

M
Bleyseng
SELL it to Miles! laugh.gif

He will drive it on old gas in second gear going 80 mph with no oil......to a Concour Event cuz he's late.

biggrin.gif
redshift
Yes! I will do whatever you want!

boldblue.gif I can't get the toilet seat up.... should I go in the shower?

M
lotus_65
first, i retouched those annoying powerlines out of that spectacular scene it's in. no charge, but i don't know if it's going to upload smile.gif

2. it's a thing of beauty, i couldn't see parting with it. it actully looks like a great car for barrett jackson. i mean if your going to sell, why not have a little fun with it, and you might get the compensation (if they pick you car, and you get a sunday slot...) it looks like it deserves.

3. i really can't see selling unless all's lost.

good vibes~
redshift
huh.gif OH MY GOD! Do I see a little rust?

biggrin.gif

M
Bleyseng
Can you photoshop flares on it so I can see that too?? hijacked.gif

Still think you should sell it to GoatBoy.... sheeplove.gif
Hi_Fi_Guy
So far the vote is drive it or store. I would like to keep it.

If $15k really is tops for a car like mine I don't think I could go through with selling it. Either gotta get more $$$ for it or figure out a way to keep it AND find more time to drive and enjoy it.

The truth is I have gotten heavy into motorcycles and simply quit driving the Porsches. The Boxster was easy to let go, this is another story. It's only costing me insurance and routine maint. so that is no big deal.

No clear decision here.
redshift
Two years? unsure.gif

Aaron Cox
since when do FG bumpers rust miles? rolleyes.gif
lotus_65
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Jun 9 2005, 10:52 PM)
Can you photoshop flares on it so I can see that too?? hijacked.gif

Still think you should sell it to GoatBoy.... sheeplove.gif

no time matie, i'm at work. (me chair.gif the man)
lotus_65
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 9 2005, 11:02 PM)
Two years? unsure.gif

lol2.gif
Bleyseng
If that silver 3.6 six car could barely bring $35k then what would this car bring, hmmm. Maybe Craig will offer a opinion here. Tops I have heard was the $15k for a 4.
I would buy a six for $15k not a 4 unless it was a LE car.
redshift
In Arizona, it's not the water... it's the oxygen!

unsure.gif
Bleyseng
after Miles paints it his favorite color
Gint
I could see myself payin as much as $12k for a nice 914/4 like that. I could see you getting $15k, but that's about as good as it's gonna get.

Keep it. Drive it once in a while if that's all you have time for. But the only way you'll get your investment back out of it is in smiles per mile. driving.gif
TGM
That car looks great. To really make an assessment for those of us who don't know the car, we would need more detailed photos. I have a similar car but more track prepped with steel flares, cage and Raby 2270. I feel like mine is worth somewhere around 15K. Professional labor really runs up the bill. I have about 25-30K in mine but with tons of my labor. If you're not in a hurry, someone will make a fair offer eventually.
anthony
I could see it going up to $20K for someone that wanted a done car with a $9K Raby engine. It would go for around $12k if it had a stock 2L engine.
markb
DON"T SELL!! There are some of us who would kill (figuratively, of course) for a car half that nice!!!! You will never get close to what you've got invested, so just hang on to it. If you ask nice, I'll bet there are a few folks who would be happy to drive it around for you. Ya know, keep the seals from cracking and such. biggrin.gif
Flat VW
Brian, you have a PM. chatsmiley.gif

J
boxstr
Brian You have a really beautiful car. If I were you I would get it detailed to the max and take it to Barrett Jackson 2006. If the red custom 914 can sell for $14000?? Then you car should sell for $18000-20000.
Old Car Price Guide gives a #1 74 914 a $24000 value. Sorry you do not have a #1 car, that is a garage queen , trailered to shows, never driven, in a thermostatically controlled garage. You are in the #2 catagory. OCPG gives it a $16800 value. You car has modifications that help to enhance the value, not pull the value down. You are between a #1 and 2 so it should sell for @$20000.
CCLINOCPG
MoveQik
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Jun 9 2005, 07:55 PM)
So far the vote is drive it or store. I would like to keep it.

If $15k really is tops for a car like mine I don't think I could go through with selling it. Either gotta get more $$$ for it or figure out a way to keep it AND find more time to drive and enjoy it.

The truth is I have gotten heavy into motorcycles and simply quit driving the Porsches. The Boxster was easy to let go, this is another story. It's only costing me insurance and routine maint. so that is no big deal.

No clear decision here.

Oh ferchrisakes! Park the fucking thing in my garage. I'll put the Tahoe outside. I would hate to see you lose your ass on such a beautiful car. The car is is gorgeous but like many others have said, you'll never get close to your investment back unless you own it and drive it for several years.

Are you happy??? I'm dropping F-bombs now! biggrin.gif
seanery
IF I were in the market, I'd pay $15k quickly, that's a beauty, and a solid car to boot. I'd consider a price up to $20k but the timing would need to be perfect and I'd have to REALLY want it bad. I think you can get very good money for it, but it won't come quickly. You'll need to find THE RIGHT buyer. I'm sure he/she is out there somewhere.
MoveQik
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/...n=gallery&id=14

Check it out....yeah, this car is CLEAN!
MoveQik
The link didn't work. Damn. Check out Patrickmotorsports.com. You'll find it.
seanery
I fixed the link biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (Hi_Fi_Guy @ Jun 9 2005, 06:56 PM)
I have just about talked myself into letting the 914 go.

noooooooooo ohmy.gif

that's such a nice car!
unsure.gif Andy
gregrobbins
Brian, the car is sweet.

For the rest of you, I have had the opportunity to see the car several times. The car is perfect!

As to value, I think you would get $25000 to $30000. It would take the "right" buyer who wants a show stopper. Someone willing to pay for something extra special. The car is special! smilie_pokal.gif

Too many still think you can still get a good 914 for $2500. Those days are past. Prices are going up and will continue to do so. The Barrett Jackson route sounds good to me. If you are interested I recently did business with one of their employees and I can put you in contact with her. The 2006 show is being organized now. Recently American Muscle has been hot, but with more and more auto makers producing two seat sports cars, the collector's interest may start turning to the older sports cars like the 914s.

Brian, my suggestion: park her for a few months, ride your BMWs, meet me for Chineese, and reconsider again in the fall. PCA Phoenix Flight in in October. Would like to see you enter/win best of class or show there.
MoveQik
QUOTE (seanery @ Jun 9 2005, 09:43 PM)
I fixed the link biggrin.gif

Thanks! beerchug.gif
vortrex
the problem is the 914 crowd does not attract many who like things done right, so when they see a car done right, they can't understand the value.
redshift
No, I like things done right. I have that much in the car I have now, and it needs everything.

$20k is not a question, I mean I already blew that much on junk.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.