Should i open my wallet or run like hell
thelogo
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 28 2018, 04:58 PM) *

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...6585543512.html

How fast are these and from someone who has never driven a 944
Whats it drive like ....

Red is not really my thing but
JmuRiz
Run from that one...the lack of taste of the body modifications and the ratty interior will likely give you an idea of the quality of the conversion.
mb911
Thats an 86 and later dash in it.. It is wicked fast without doubt. A lame 5.3 from early ls years are still 270 ish hp stock. My 5.3 in my 18 silverado is 365 hp..

I think the body mods could be undone pretty easy. Worth the some of the parts but not a screaming deal.
Elliot Cannon
Ask him to throw in the mo'cycle and its a deal. biggrin.gif
FL000
You have to consider getting a smog also if you plan to keep it in CA. Seller said good until 2019, but what happens then? If he had a state referee validate the engine swap and you have the sticker to prove it all is well. If not might turn into a track car real quick.
Beebo Kanelle
If you're in the hunt for one of these I think you want a converted 944 Turbo, not the normal n/a version... heavier duty everything and really, really fast. and balanced.

The LS engine actually weighs slightly less than the turbo engine. but you'd still want bigger brakes.

This one, I don't know... lots of one-off mods and that kinda scares me.
KELTY360
Do some research on P.T Barnum.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Beebo Kanelle @ May 28 2018, 06:35 PM) *

If you're in the hunt for one of these I think you want a converted 944 Turbo, not the normal n/a version... heavier duty everything and really, really fast. and balanced.

The LS engine actually weighs slightly less than the turbo engine. but you'd still want bigger brakes.

This one, I don't know... lots of one-off mods and that kinda scares me.

This.

Also the turbo has much longer ratios and a much stronger driveline
Andyrew
If it was a stock looking 944 turbo I would say jump at that price. But it's a highly modified chassis that won't hold resale as it's already very aged.
theer
944 with a V8 is a hoot to drive! The LS motor (aluminum block) doesn’t weigh much more than the stock lump, so doesn’t throw off the excellent balance of the 944. Gobs of torque is a lot of fun, unless you have a stock non-LSD trans.

We have a 944 LS1 (5.7l) race car that chewed up transmissions, until we got the Turbo S model box, which is built to handle more power. So now we blow out the CV’s.

The electronics can get a bit funky (speedo doesn’t always work), but that’s less of a problem in a track car.

Manual steering: if it’s a (rare) stock manual rack, that’s fine, but a de-powered hydraulic rack can be a real beast in the parking lot.

Manual brakes: by far the biggest drawback. The 944 stock power-assist brakes are superb, but you lose the vacuum canister to make room for the v8. If you’ve experienced the stiffness of a 19mm master cylinder in a 914, this will be MUCH stiffer. Scary on the track. We ended up putting a Mustang hydro-boost unit in... better braking but much less “feel”. Neither comes close to the stock brakes.
Mike Bellis
If it was in good shape, I would buy it and drive the tires off it. I would change the tail lights and front bumper. Looks like a fun ride that you will need to tinker on.

Just make sure it's smogable!!!
BuddyV
If you have that kind of $, look into buying a nice 944 turbo.... in five years, you might be glad you did. They are getting harder to find.

Hell, you might even find a turbo "S" for a bit more...... THAT will be plenty of power, and a fine investment.

A V8 in these cars???? too much. Fun for a while.... then???

I have a 924 with a 968 motor, and LOVE it.

Good luck.
Andyrew
I would 100% find as nice of a turbo as you can for that money. They are the next car to make the price jump and they are already going up.

Keep it stock or just chip it and enjoy the hell out of it. I know I LOVE mine even if it runs a bit rough and is setup a bit more for track use the are great runners.

Now if you can talk the seller down to say a 5-7k range then thats just way to much car for the money. A couple grand in stock parts to bring the appearance back to a normal car and you have a great driver.
andys
I wonder which 5.3 motor? If it's the 5.3 truck motor with iron block, not so great. If it's the all aluminum L33 (more HP, and of course lighter), then that would be good.
Andys
bretth
Not one single pic of the motor? Seems like it would be an important item to show. Looks awful on the outside.
mb911
QUOTE(andys @ May 29 2018, 06:57 AM) *

I wonder which 5.3 motor? If it's the 5.3 truck motor with iron block, not so great. If it's the all aluminum L33 (more HP, and of course lighter), then that would be good.
Andys

My last truck had the 5.3 aluminum block
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mb911 @ May 28 2018, 09:17 PM) *

Thats an 86 and later dash in it.. It is wicked fast without doubt. A lame 5.3 from early ls years are still 270 ish hp stock. My 5.3 in my 18 silverado is 365 hp..

I think the body mods could be undone pretty easy. Worth the some of the parts but not a screaming deal.

I think you mean an 85.5 and later dash Ben. It was a mid-year change.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(FL 000 @ May 28 2018, 09:37 PM) *

You have to consider getting a smog also if you plan to keep it in CA. Seller said good until 2019, but what happens then? If he had a state referee validate the engine swap and you have the sticker to prove it all is well. If not might turn into a track car real quick.

If he’s in LA, and he brought in from Missouri, he had to smog it to register it. The smog rules then go to year of engine and it must go to a referee.

It looks to me like the body modifications were nicely done. But the biggest thing for me is that you’re in to turbo - level money here. The 944 turbo is Porsche gold and even at current prices, undervalued. I’d pass and find a turbo while they still trade in their current stratosphere...
Ed_Turbo
That guy knows someone to have it pass smog. Looks like a nice spanky track car or weekender. Manual steering is probably tiring after a while.

If you buy it you have to let me give it a “test” drive aktion035.gif
Joemo5
Iv got a buddy with a 5.3 LS iron block with manual steering and turbo trans. You cant steer without getting the car rolling and its a handful untill 10 mph. Its a quick car though. Mid 12's in the 1/4.
thelogo
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/d...6602587806.html

This looks nice also
Coondog
QUOTE(thelogo @ May 29 2018, 09:33 PM) *

This is why your engine rebuild would cost more then the purchase of the car.

Intermediate Shaft Bearing Failures: The intermediate shaft bearing is probably the most troublesome of all of the M96/M97 engine problems. The intermediate shaft bearing (IMS bearing) supports the intermediate shaft on the flywheel end of the motor. Porsche designed these motors using a sealed ball bearing that is pressed into the intermediate shaft. These types of bearings are typically used in devices like copy machines and other machinery used in dry conditions. In theory, the area where Porsche designed the bearing to sit is supposed to be dry. However, after years of use within the engine, it would appear that oil and contaminants from the engine seep past the bearing seal, wash out the original lubricant, and become trapped inside. The result is that the bearing now operates in a less-than-ideal environment and begins to wear prematurely. When the bearing wears out, the timing chains on the engine may disengage, and the engine will quickly self-destruct. When the bearing does fail, foreign object debris from the bearing circulates throughout the engine, causing further damage to other areas in the engine.

mepstein
We have a former mechanic who is quite familiar with these engines. He charges about $2500 for an IMS bearing replacement including parts. Not a bad price to keep the engine going for another 100K.
thelogo
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 30 2018, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(thelogo @ May 29 2018, 09:33 PM) *

This is why your engine rebuild would cost more then the purchase of the car.

Intermediate Shaft Bearing Failures: The intermediate shaft bearing is probably the most troublesome of all of the M96/M97 engine problems. The intermediate shaft bearing (IMS bearing) supports the intermediate shaft on the flywheel end of the motor. Porsche designed these motors using a sealed ball bearing that is pressed into the intermediate shaft. These types of bearings are typically used in devices like copy machines and other machinery used in dry conditions. In theory, the area where Porsche designed the bearing to sit is supposed to be dry. However, after years of use within the engine, it would appear that oil and contaminants from the engine seep past the bearing seal, wash out the original lubricant, and become trapped inside. The result is that the bearing now operates in a less-than-ideal environment and begins to wear prematurely. When the bearing wears out, the timing chains on the engine may disengage, and the engine will quickly self-destruct. When the bearing does fail, foreign object debris from the bearing circulates throughout the engine, causing further damage to other areas in the engine.

How did porsche get this ims bearing so wrong
Years of reputation for building quality flat engines erased because of 1 bearing smoke.gif

How did it slip passes the quality control at zuffenhausen? ???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.