Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV boot kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mtndawg
Where can I order a quality CV boot kit for both sides, boots, grease, gaskets, etc...
mepstein
Pmb, pelican, probably amazon and eBay.
914Sixer
Your Kit will be for a VW. To the best of my knowledge NO 4 bolt hole boots are being made. Everything is 6 hole.
Mblizzard
If you need some I have some 6 hole that have the two holes sealed with epoxy and a aluminum plate. I upgraded to the the indestructible ones (almost) used for V8 conversions.
mepstein
can you replace the boot on the flange? The boot sells for $3.
914Sixer
All the boots I have got do not want to stretch over flange. They pop off before you can get a clamp on them.
mgphoto
Problem is the original version of the flange which interfaces with the boot has a curved surface, the original clamps had a matching curve they are NLA.
Owners have tried everything from tie wraps to the straight edged clamps which have the correct diameter but lacking the curved edge.
Optimusglen
uh... I replaced all of my boots and reused the original flanges. Getting the boots over the lip of the flange takes a bit of strength but once it's stretched over it has the added advantage of retaining the boot a bit. Clamp added of course, wouldn't want to rely solely on the stretch.

I used a bike tire lever (shown in blue in the picture) to help leverage the boot on without risking puncturing the boot.

I believe mine were Rein boots, purchased from FCP Euro. Price currently is a bit over $2 each. FCP also has a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell and you don't need to be a professional shop to take advantage of it.

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ May 30 2018, 07:45 AM) *

uh... I replaced all of my boots and reused the original flanges. Getting the boots over the lip of the flange takes a bit of strength but once it's stretched over it has the added advantage of retaining the boot a bit. Clamp added of course, wouldn't want to rely solely on the stretch.

I used a bike tire lever (shown in blue in the picture) to help leverage the boot on without risking puncturing the boot.

I believe mine were Rein boots, purchased from FCP Euro. Price currently is a bit over $2 each. FCP also has a lifetime warranty on all parts they sell and you don't need to be a professional shop to take advantage of it.

Click to view attachment

I use a heat gun to warm the boot a bit and it makes it much easier!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.