Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Automatic Choke?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mguyotss
Hey everybody,

I'm learning more and more about 914 and drove one for the first time today.
After few little minutes of "regular" driving (as it seemed to idle well), the idle went up much more (like an automatic choke) and car was running very high (as if there was a choke).
In the end of the test drive, it seemed like even in 1st gear, car was kinda coughing sometimes.

So :
- Is there an automatic choke on 914 2.0l? It was the original injection system, not carbs.
-If yes, why would it have appeared after 3 mins of driving and not right at the begining?
- What do you think about the coughing?

I have lot of experience with classic cars (either in the city or on racetrack), a lot with british cars, and the way they handle and gears are engaged and i have to say for sure that 914 gearbox aren't easy at first drive hahah ! So maybe coughing could be the consequence of me missing the 1st gear for the 3rd one, but i'm 95% sure i was in 1st and even in 2nd it was coughing.

Help me guys !
Thanks
BeatNavy
Stock D-Jet has a couple of elements designed to manage fuel delivery during the warm-up process. The Auxiliary Air Regulator (AAR) introduces more air to the mixture to help cold engine. The Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) provides more fuel to the mixture when the head temps are cold and leans it out as the heads warm up.

Can you describe "coughing" more? Is it stumbling or bucking, or is it more like missing? How is the general condition of the car, including ignition, vacuum lines and general tune? D-Jet works well, but if not maintained you could have several things going on.

Required reading for D-Jet 914 owners: https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

There's a basic troubleshooting matrix at the bottom.

And, welcome.png

mguyotss
Thanks for your answer Rob !

Okay so from what i understand cold engine can be causing that idling.

About the coughing, i am french and i am not sure of the vocabulary about stumbling, bucking or missing.

It is the exact same effect as when you would be driving at 20mph in 4th gear and you would try to accelerate. I would probably say kinda stumbling.

Car is in very good shape, engine was completely cold and started at the first try. No rust and hell hole in good shape (battery tray a bit rusty of course). Only thing is that she was kind of squeeking, probably suspensions.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mguyotss @ May 29 2018, 09:07 PM) *

Thanks for your answer Rob !

Okay so from what i understand cold engine can be causing that idling.

About the coughing, i am french and i am not sure of the vocabulary about stumbling, bucking or missing.

It is the exact same effect as when you would be driving at 20mph in 4th gear and you would try to accelerate. I would probably say kinda stumbling.

Car is in very good shape, engine was completely cold and started at the first try. No rust and hell hole in good shape (battery tray a bit rusty of course). Only thing is that she was kind of squeeking, probably suspensions.

I could be way off, but it sounds like you're describing poor throttle response which to me suggests fuel delivery issue. At least that's my first thought. There are a couple of potential causes to that including:

1. Fuel pressure low (it needs to be ~28 or 29 psi).
2. Clogged fuel filter (near the fuel pump)
3. Clogged fuel sock in the tank
4. Clogged or dirty fuel injectors.

Those are all worth checking or servicing if you don't know the history. Dirty injectors can be sent to Mr. Injector who will clean / test in a few days. It's great peace of mind for not much money.

But it sounds like there may be something else going on as well. It's difficult to troubleshoot D-Jet with more than one thing wrong. You have to test and eliminate all the variables one by one sad.gif Not sure why your idle is creeping up after warming up, but high idle usually means ignition timing too far advanced or a vacuum leak somewhere.

Also, you're right about the gearbox - it takes getting used to, but like D-Jet if the components are serviced and kept in good shape it works pretty well. Also, try to keep the RPM's up a little higher than you may be used to with other cars (e.g., 3000 RPM and up). Takes getting used to, but it's better for these engines.

Don't apologize for your English - much better than my French (or German) could ever be smile.gif
mguyotss
Thanks for all of these infos Rob !

The only thing i know for sure is that i probably won't buy this car then tongue.gif

I am happy to see 914 community is cool and helpful, makes me want a 914 even more smile.gif
falcor75
You dont judge a 914 by how the engine is running. If the body and hellhole is ok its probably an ok car. The rough running engine can be a $100 problem that can be easily solved with some help from this forum, a bad body will easily cost you thousands.
mguyotss
I hear you Falcor.
It was not the only bad feeling i had with the car. Body seemed in good shape though.

Like any wlassic car i am aware that body and chassis are more important than engine. And it seems even more true with 914 and hell holes !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.