Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru WRX Powered 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
WRX914
Well, the car is finally on the road. The motor mount that we fabricated is a nice unit. I looked at all of the others, and I did not find anything that made me feel comfortable to use. Our is a full cradle, we relocated the turbo and intercooler. Fabricated our own exhaust (ceramic coated), re-engineered the factory wiring harness and it truely kicks some major bootie. We ran a 2005 997 carrera and shamed him...bad. He could not believe it. We are finishing up the details on this kit and they will be offering it soon. Be sure to look for us at the German Auto fest. We will be there with bells on! Look for the two 914s that have "Porsche Turbo" above the rockers. mueba.gif

Lets hear what you have to say!!!

914helo
Do you have any pics of the motor mounts? Sounds like an interesting project. Good on ya! smilie_pokal.gif
MoveQik
Pics! PIcs! Pics!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (audioculture @ Jun 10 2005, 04:10 PM)
Lets hear what you have to say!!!

I say "we don't believe you until pictures are shown" biggrin.gif laugh.gif

who is "they"??

Scott @ Renegade or ????
WRX914
I will post pics soon. I am going to wait until the guys have the kit ready to sell before I post pics. I know you guys want to see the pics, but it took us quite some time to fab this little beauty, and I would hate to post the work and have someone copy it. It sounds just like a VW flat four, but without the solid lifter ticking. But when you shift gears, all you hear is a massive gush of air from the BOV (blow off valve). The BOV is located right behind the passenger seat so they get quite a loud wooosh. There is really no torque to speak of until you are into the higher revs(should keep the 901 transaxle intact with no problems). Around 40-60mph, the thing is an absolute rocket! Honda s2000's are like racing a kid on a big wheel... no comp. Also, may I say that the 2004 WRX engine that I bought has 4,000 original miles and it only cost me $1500+500 for the wiring harness. What a kick! smilie_pokal.gif
WRX914
That is funny! I dont think I would believe it either, but I am a honest man, and all that I say here is the truth. Scott has his hands in this project, but it is my idea, his employees. If any of you know Scott, he is a v8 nut! He actually said he is interested to put this motor in his race car.
Mueller
I will post pics soon. I am going to wait until the guys have the kit ready to sell before I post pics. I know you guys want to see the pics, but it took us quite some time to fab this little beauty, and I would hate to post the work and have someone copy it

even with a kit, if the price is too much for some folks, there will be someone attepting to copy it, hopefully it'll be just for themselves and they won't try to market it, that would be totally wrong...of course I don't see anyone really copying the V8 mounts or other parts of those kits.....

i do see more subaru conversions in the future, but a few of those I am sure will be mounting the radiator in the middle so chances of your kit working might be slim.....

when is the GAF??
Mueller
QUOTE (audioculture @ Jun 10 2005, 04:31 PM)
That is funny! I dont think I would believe it either, but I am a honest man, and all that I say here is the truth. Scott has his hands in this project, but it is my idea, his employees. If any of you know Scott, he is a v8 nut! He actually said he is interested to put this motor in his race car.

I know Scott...in fact I need to call or return his email so he doesn't think I'm ignoring him smile.gif

TravisNeff
I am in Vegas for the last week of this month, up for a show and tell? I'd love to see it
brer
How much original metal was cut from the cars?
neo914-6
I was in Vegas a few weeks ago buying stuff from Scott. I asked about the WRX conversion and he just said "we're working on it". Shrouded in secrecy... ph34r.gif confused24.gif

It was not in his "V8" shop...
scotty914
well i have been busy for a little, and at renagade, Dana is the one to talk to about the suby stuff ( opps ph34r.gif ) he has been emailed all of my threads on my suby conversion for comparison and info

all i will say is it should be soon, which we in the 914 world means within a year lol2.gif

and audioculture nice to see you back and have fun with the suby engine
mightyohm
Where did you find the engine?
Verruckt
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jun 11 2005, 12:52 AM)

Yeah! Spill your source! boldblue.gif
BIGKAT_83
Try this

Subaru mystery solved
Bob
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 10 2005, 07:35 PM)
when is the GAF??

September 9-10 2005

this year's featured car: 50th Anniversary of the Carrera.
(real Carreras have four cams.)
Mueller
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Jun 11 2005, 06:15 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 10 2005, 07:35 PM)
when is the GAF??

September 9-10 2005

this year's featured car: 50th Anniversary of the Carrera.
(real Carreras have four cams.)

bummer....I'll be on my cruise to Alaska during that time...one of these years I'll make it down there sad.gif
WRX914
QUOTE (brer @ Jun 10 2005, 05:14 PM)
How much original metal was cut from the cars?

The only metal that was removed from the car is a small (24x4) opening in the middle of the bumper for the radiator, and two holes in the front wheel wells for the heated air from the radiator to escape.
WRX914
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 10 2005, 05:10 PM)
I am in Vegas for the last week of this month, up for a show and tell? I'd love to see it

No problem, give me a call.

702-524-5580

keith
WRX914
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 11 2005, 04:30 AM)
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jun 11 2005, 12:52 AM)

Yeah! Spill your source! boldblue.gif

I found it through e-bay. The guy lives in Gardena California. He is awsome. My motor looks brand new.
WRX914
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jun 10 2005, 10:39 PM)
well i have been busy for a little, and at renagade, Dana is the one to talk to about the suby stuff ( opps ph34r.gif ) he has been emailed all of my threads on my suby conversion for comparison and info

all i will say is it should be soon, which we in the 914 world means within a year lol2.gif

Thanks!

I love this thread, I have been off for a while due to everyone has the next latest and greatest. I wanted to wait until it was done and then pat myself on the back!!! Dana's car is the car that is on the road, in fact pictures are on Renegades web site. My car is getting steel flares welded on, painted, new wheels and tires, 911 front end and new interior. I put a killer stereo in Dana's 914 that I will probably do the exact same in mine. GAF here I come!!!

TravisNeff
QUOTE (audioculture @ Jun 11 2005, 10:54 AM)
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 10 2005, 05:10 PM)
I am in Vegas for the last week of this month, up for a show and tell?  I'd love to see it

No problem, give me a call.

702-524-5580

keith

Excellent, I am working up there Monday June 27th through Friday July 1st. I'll give you a shout when I head up.
Brando
How much heavier is your Suby 914 compared to a TIV 914?
TravisNeff
I think it is between 30-60lbs lighter!, well add coolant system - which scott said it was around 20-30lbs with coolant.
neo914-6
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Jun 10 2005, 10:39 PM)

That was nice of you to do, did they use any of your ideas ? I see they used the RH rad.
GWN7
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ Jun 10 2005, 10:52 PM)

Look at ebay....there is a guy in Hayward, CA that has a "few" listed
scotty914
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 11 2005, 03:26 PM)

That was nice of you to do, did they use any of your ideas ? I see they used the RH rad.

nope they were past all the stuff that would have helped when i talked with them. i did show keith pics of my engine bar before they got to that but they wanted it off of the stock pick ups for the engine and tranny.

they almost had the car running when i talked to em but i figured they would mod it some for production kits so any more info would be helpful

also dana was very intereseted to see the radiator set up
plymouth37
Hey, this is Dana. I designed, built, and own the 914 porscharu you have all been talking about. I just wanted to say that this little car is a joy to drive, is wonderfully reliable, and will kick the ass of about any car you tell it to. victims so far include: a new 997 (no plates on it yet! hehe) an s2000, and a boxter S. if you have any questions about the car or renegade hybrids feel free to ask. this kit will be available in about a month. For more pics and videos check out: my porscharu

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
neo914-6
Dana,

How are you associated with Keith/audioculture?

Did you use the Renegade radiator?

Any idea of the kit pricing?

just curious,

plymouth37
A brief history: kieth is my roommate. he thought it would be cool to install a wrx engine in a 914, and he bought an engine for his car. kieth's car still needs body, paint, and suspension work before the conversion will be installed in his car. kieth convinced me to do the subie conversion on my car, so my buddie mike and I designed the kit, i bought a 400 mile wrx 2.0 turbo motor, and my car is the one you see on the road today. as for the radiator, yes I used the renegade hybrids radiator. I think that installing the radiator in the engine bay like Scott Thacher did is a very cool idea but is not possible for a turbo application such as this one. pricing info will be available in about a month when the kit is released.
CaliWRX
Sweeeeet!

This is my dream conversion and I will do it someday!!!

I would love to do it with an EJ25T instead of the EJ20T if the engines get cheaper....

Awesome job!
firstknight13
smilie_pokal.gif WOW this car "ROCKS"!!!!!!! driving.gif
plymouth37
Just a little more info on the kit. the renegade hybrids kit available next month will make it possible to install any EJ series subaru engine into a 914,the number behind the EJ designates engine(EJ22 = 2.2 liter). these include:
EJ18: Found in Imprezas from 1993-1997. Rated at 110hp and 120 ft-lbs
EJ22 Phase I: Found in Legacies from 1990-1998 and Imprezas from 1995-1998. Comes rated at 130hp and 137 ft-lbs, 135hp and 140 ft-lbs, or 137hp and 145 ft-lbs.
EJ22 Phase II: Found in Legacies in 1999 and Imprezas from 1999-2001. Rated at 142hp and 149 ft-lbs.
EJ22-T Phase I: Found in Sport Sedan and Touring Wagons (Legacies) from 1990-1994. Turbocharged and non-intercooled. Rated at 160hp and 181 ft-lbs. Closed deck, cast pistons, forged rods, oil squirters: turbo motor. Poor flowing heads.
EJ25 DOHC Phase I: Found in Legacies from 1996-1999, Imprezas in 1998, and Foresters in 1998. Rated at either 155hp and 140 ft-lbs in 1996 or 165hp and 162 ft-lbs in 1997-1999.
EJ25 SOHC Phase II: Found in Legacies from 2000+, Imprezas from 1999+, and Foresters from 1999+. Rated at 165hp and 166 ft-lbs. There was a slight compression ratio change from 1999-2000 where it went from 9.7:1 to 10.0:1.
USDM EJ20: US Domestic Market WRX. Found in 2002+ WRXs. Rated at 227hp and 217 ft-lbs. Turbocharged, intercooled, open deck, and decent heads.
EJ25T DOHC: Available in 2004 in the Forester XT. Rated at 210hp and 235 ft-lbs. Turbocharged, intercooled, VVTi (Variable Valve Timing), and drive by wire.
EJ25T-STi DOHC: Available in 2004 in the WRX STi. Rated at 300hp and 300 ft-lbs. Turbocharged, intercooled, AVCS (Active Valve Control System), drive by wire, intercooler sprayer, and semi-closed design
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (plymouth37 @ Jun 16 2005, 03:25 PM)
EJ25 DOHC Phase I: Found in Legacies from 1996-1999, Imprezas in 1998, and Foresters in 1998. Rated at either 155hp and 140 ft-lbs in 1996 or 165hp and 162 ft-lbs in 1997-1999.

cool - i've got two of those...

one is in the Outback, with bad head gaskets on both sides, again.
the other is on a mover's dolly, back from a head gasket repair, ready to go into the Outback.

once i do that swap, and fix the heads for a third time (the first repair was done by the DAPO's dealer, under warranty, which he just happened to mention when we went to collect the title after making our last payment - a month after it failed again...) this could be an interesting engine for someone.

i really like that engine - when it is running - but i don't think i'll be putting it in my /6... the way our luck has been running with them, i think i'll be doing well to stay ahead of the head gasket repairs...
redshift
Head gaskets.... is that just with that particular motor/years, or is that a problem with all of them?

M
plymouth37
from what I have heard subaru's older engines suffered some head gasket problems. but nothing to be afraid of. all ej engines will fit, but this kit is mostly focused on the more modern wrx engines, which from what I have heard are not as notorius for head gasket problems.
ematulac
If you're interested in a Suby conversion, you might be interested in this site:

Outback Motors
plymouth37
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jun 16 2005, 01:07 PM)
If you're interested in a Suby conversion, you might be interested in this site:

Outback Motors

very cool, thanks for the link.
redshift
Hey look.. skinny, cheap fuel pumps...

(@ Outback)

M
neo914-6
Dana,

Just a suggestion, create good installation documentation. Renegade's is a bit "light" but maybe they like fielding alot of calls... laugh.gif

Felix
plymouth37
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Jun 16 2005, 02:30 PM)
Dana,

Just a suggestion, create good installation documentation. Renegade's is a bit "light" but maybe they like fielding alot of calls... laugh.gif

Felix

the kit will probably be released on friday the 17th. a full write up of the kit will be put on the renegade site at the same time.
CaliWRX
EJ22-T Phase I

This is the strongest block Subaru has made. It is popular with people who want to make big power.

Do you know what will be included in the Renegade kit? I have wanted to so this conversion for a long time now and someday will (hopefully!), I have a whole lot of SUby stuff lying around and could get my hands on pretty much anything else for pretty cheap. Hopefully Renegade comes out with a kit that includes only the stuff I wouldn't need.
brokenmoped
I understand if you can't divulge any information as of yet, but my impatience has gotten the better...could you give us a ballpark figure of the pricing?
Jacques
... the kit will probably be released on friday the 17th. a full write up of the kit will be put on the renegade site at the same time.

user posted image Ok, today has arrived smash.gif
Verruckt
icon_bump.gif
redshift
I have been up most of the night looking around the web for WRX, and related tuning (jees! i R a TuNErZ!)... maybe I am just not searching for the right thing.. I thought there was more bolt on stuff. confused24.gif

Where are all the 400-500hp Subarus I keep hearing about? cool_shades.gif

M
ematulac
You mean like this?

Try searching for 'subaru performance'. It's all in the search.

sheeplove.gif
redshift
Oh shit! I was spelling xXxelleration wrong..

rolleyes.gif

M
ematulac
QUOTE (redshift @ Jun 17 2005, 07:43 AM)
Oh shit! I was spelling xXxelleration wrong..

rolleyes.gif

M

lol2.gif
mudfoot76
All this talk about suby swaps makes me wish I had kept my wrecked SVX, and wish and dream about what RH might have worked up for the EJ33 drooley.gif

(it is the 3.3L flat six in case you weren't aware...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.