Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foglights in a75/76 with backdated bumpers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
Has anyone installed the stock, early foglights in a 75/76 backdated with the early, chrome bumpers?

I can locate where the hole goes in the front panel to mount them, but there is no way (that I can find) to get behind the panel in that location with a nut to secure the bolt.

Thanks.
Porschef
Yes, I did it, using a nutsert.

I can take pics in the morning, shoot me a pm to trigger my memory.. blink.gif
DRPHIL914
i will be doing this very soon also, so i am interested in how to go about doing it as well
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 1 2018, 08:48 PM) *

Yes, I did it, using a nutsert.

I can take pics in the morning, shoot me a pm to trigger my memory.. blink.gif

Joe has the right idea.
Very handy tool but sort of spendy for a single use..... try to borrow one ?
$80 on Amazon
rhodyguy
Handy tool.
Porschef
Ok, so I went back to review my post about backdating here

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...+long+BUB's

and found that I had already installed the fogs and horns prior to the final installation of bumpers. Couldn't remember what I did, heck, I can barely remember what I had for dinner last night; wait, it was fluke fillet with a white wine/caper sauce, mmmmmmm, delicious, but alas, I digress. Anyway, thanks to the search feature here, there is a flat area below where the light goes that I drilled in the center. It must've worked out well 'cause the lights pretty much were centered when I installed the bumper assembly.

You don't need a fancy tool to install the Nutsert, there's one that looks like a bolt with a nut that gets tightened after the Sert is placed into the hole, effectively mushrooming out the back and locking the Sert into position.

Now to go out to the complete Hell Hole that is my garage and see if I can find it.

Stay tuned...
Porschef
Ok, so I found it. Will wonders ever cease...

Click to view attachment

It's placed between the Sert and the bolt, the side with the groove up against the Sert, the Sert goes in the hole, the bolt is tightened and this is held in place with another wrench to keep it and the Sert from spinning. Then the Sert mushrooms up against the back of the hole. Once locked in place, the bolt is removed, the little tool is removed, and the bolt goes back into the Sert.

Be sure to drill the appropriate sized hole for the nutsert, it should be just tight enough that the Sert doesn't spin at all when placed in there and is actually subject to an interference fit. This is to ensure is that the tool will work properly, and once that Nutsert is locked into place, it's pretty permanent.

HTH,

Joe
Porschef
Phil, have you ever eaten at Martha Lou's kitchen in Charleston?
DickSteinkamp
Thanks Porschef and all others. It's nice to know I won't be re-inventing the wheel.

Do you remember where you got your nutserts, Porschef?

The mechanicals are pretty much done on mine. It's running and driving nicely. Time to do the fun stuff like this to trim it out. Then another complete tear down for body and paint.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Steve
I used the same tool and did rivnuts on mine also. I’ve used rivnuts for lots of stuff on my 914.
ConeDodger
McMark did mine. Drilled a hole big enough to seat a flange nut with the flat side out. Then welded it in place. Grind off the weld and mount the lights...
DickSteinkamp
These guys have the tool and the rivnuts...

Rivnut Tool

IPB Image

Rivnuts

IPB Image

The tool is only $7.15 and the rivnuts are about $1 each. I ordered 4 each of steel and aluminum. I'm going to practice a little first. I'd prefer to use the steel if the test with them on a piece of scrap goes OK.

flmont
I be like'in those rims....new style fuchs,..??
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 2 2018, 10:07 AM) *

Phil, have you ever eaten at Martha Lou's kitchen in Charleston?

i am not sure, when our oldest daughter was at College of Charleston couple years ago we went to a lot of places- there are a lot of great places to eat!! only one we went to a few times was a french restaraunt my wife and daughters really liked down on king st i think-
Porschef
Picked to have the best fried chicken in the country by the Food Network. My wife and daughter ate there a couple years back when they went to check out a couple schools in SC; they said it was fantastic. Just a little roadside place that's been pumping out the stuff for years. Disappointed I've never been.

Me, "I eat mo' chicken any man eva' seen"
rhodyguy
cause I'm you backdoor man...
Porschef
Haha, I knew someone would pick up on that..

Nice work Kevin... aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.