Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community flare project for Korijo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Qarl
I might.. if a definite date can be nailed down and it doesn't conflict with whatever else I've got going on!
seanery
That's what I'm thinking, too.
Bleyseng
So what dates are you guys open??? I can get away pretty much whenever except for the ax dates.

Geoff
seanery
I've got Colts games Aug 15&29.
F1 race at Indy in Sept.

Not sure exactly what else, there are a couple other things still up in the air.
John Kelly
Sorry, I've been away for a few days...It would be possible to have two individual sessions, one for the rear flares, one for the fronts....and maybe even a metal-finishing session as well. Perhaps we need a poll for what dates will work for the most people. I'm up for just about any weekend starting mid-August, but if we can get more folks involved by doing it a little later, all the better.

Geoff, any time of the year is fine for beer...just go easy until after the pounding is done (insert smily emoticon).

Rich, it sounds like your friend will make a great addition to the group.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
Qarl
Okay... I am going to come that weekend. As long as I get a thumbs up for confirmation.

I will come in on Friday and leave on Sunday.

Regards,

Karl
John Kelly
It sounds like we have Geoff, and Karl, Dave, Rich,and myself confirmed for the 16th and 17th of August. Anyone else that can make it that weekend? I'm thinking we need at least 6-10 confirmed to set the date.

For those that can't make this date, there will be other weekends too!

Bleyseng
Karl,

Warwick Hotel is $240
Silver Cloud 3 blocks from me is $112
SpringHill Suites by Marriott Seattle Downtown is $109
Seattle by the Space Needle Travelodge is $116
These a good places to stay not dives.
Geoff
Qarl
Okay.... looks like I'm coming.

I will arrive Friday around noon and depart Monday morning. I figure I may as well see a few things on Friday while I'm there and spend both days with everyone. I've never been to the Northwest before.

I'm not going to rent a car. Getting to the hotel should be no problem as well as visiting some of the sites nearby.

Anyone know of a good place for a cup of coffee? Just kidding! blink.gif

If I stay at one of the aforementioned hotels, can I tag along with someone going to the swap meet? Will I be a convenient pick-up? We really don't have these here in FL.

Will these hotels put me in the vacinity of the "Korijo Flare Project Monster Garage"? Can I bumb a lift from someone the morning of?

Looking forward to it!
Dave Cawdrey
If you REALLY dont want to stay, you dont have to... wink.gif

Swap-meet gig is 5 minutes from here. Downtown is 5 minutes away. smilie_rolli_1.gif

And we will pick you up, and drop you off. Fo shizzle, my nizzle. beerchug.gif

You can always couch surf. idea.gif

As for sites, talk to Geoff. Hes the walking encyclopedia laugh.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jul 17 2003, 07:24 PM)
I thought you guys were talking like October. confused24.gif I'll be at the Monterey Historics that weekend. Then the Ramble is coming up. I'm trying to talk the wife into driving to that event. I'm booked for a long distance trip until later in the year.

Hey Guy's I'm in Monterey CA. that weekend for the Historics. The trip is a 22nd anniversery gift from my wife and non cancelable. I'm sure you get the meaning. I also have some work issues. I'll come out for a second round but not til fall. It will have to be the end of Sept. Or Oct. I'll help with the finishing work on the second round. That's the best I can do. If this came up 6 or 8 weeks ago things may have been different.
Qarl
Okay... I'm there then!

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting Dave's kids and Kori too!
ChrisReale
I will make it also. I prolly have to work Sat afternoon, but I will figure something out. ph34r.gif
John Kelly
OK, we have:

Geoff
Karl
Dave
Rich
Mike
Aaron
Kevin
Chris
Bro-in-law
Tristan
John

John Walker's swap will siphon some of our manpower on saturday morning, but that's not a problem. We will bring you late guys with parts in pockets up to speed.

Bleyseng
John, you sure Korijo isn't gonna be over selling parts too?
Last time I was over there he had some uncracked 2.0L heads, fogs, and other stuff to sell.

Karl, if you stay at the Silver Cloud near me you can tag along. It is right next to the University Village which has several great places to eat or drink coffee (no Hooters).
Check Hotwire as they have a Hotel sale on right now.
Geoff
Dave Cawdrey
I'd like to go see all the stuff at John Walkers gig. Maybe someone can sell my stuff for me ?? Dunno...

Karl is staying here. I assume he will want to go, too.

John Kelly, what time do you want to start on Sat. ?
John Kelly
I guess we ought to hold off until noon on saturday. Will that work for everyone?

Bleyseng
sounds good
boxstr
Good morning, I am coming up for the swap meet sat. am and would like to check out the bitch flare project, do you have an address so that I can Mapquest. Thanks
CCLINFLAREBITCHHELL
Bleyseng
3601 Fremont Ave N and go down 36th to the alley and turn into the parking garage. The car and all the action is in the back of the garage.

Geoff
John Kelly
Hi Dave and Chris,

From another post, I understand there is some filler in the car. I hope you are not grinding it away, but are instead using paint remover. The metal will be easier to read with a smooth un-sanded finish. There may be grinder marks already from previous work, but it would be nice to keep them to a minimum. Not a big deal if it's too late. Also we need the insides of the fenders clean (hard work). Zach and I used Jasco paint and epoxy remover on his car, and it worked well. We will not be able to get good hammer and dolly work, or see where we are hitting if there is paint and undercoating left. Do you want me to come down and have a look at the car? By the way, a big thanks to Chris for doing the tedious/unfun part so that we can start on the flares right away when we get there.

Dave Cawdrey
John,

We tried the aircraft stripper, but it wouldn't eat the bondo. The filler was mostly on the panel next to the door, and a little on driver's side fender.

If you came over, you could tell me what else is needed. Obviously, I can't do anything, but I am a good 'boss-them-around-er' wink.gif
Qarl
Can someone post an update to this... time, place, participants... phone number... stuff to bring.

I'm coming up at the end of this week (Thursday night late!)

Karl
Dave Cawdrey
3601 Fremont Ave N
(206)545.3577

I think there is a partial list, a few posts back.

I need some more help prepping. I need to source the stripper John is referring to. I need to finish the stripping. And removal of trailing arms and shocks is needed. Any volunteers ??

If its a nice day, a few big hunks could prolly carry the carcas outside ?? Dunno, just a thought.

Geoff, can you bring some air hose ??

Karl, bring ear plugs and safety glasses. Noon on Saturday (after swap-meet) Dunno about Sun.

Any out of towners can crash here Sat. nite. Wifey said OK clap56.gif Got a top bunk, Queen sofa bed, couch and loveseat. Just gimme some notice.

Oh, swap-meet is 5 minutes from me. I will be there til 11-1130a. Anyone can follow me home...
Qarl
Cool.

No heavy lifting for me. I've spent the last 3 weeks dealing with massive back pain. I'm finishing up some steroids now and will be on some horse-strength ibuprofen next and then eventually regular ibuprofen.

I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back (very common for mid-30 year olds), some arthritis, and just general weak back muscles.

I'm staying at University Village Silver Cloud in.

Looking forward to meeting Kori, the kids, and all the guys.. and oh yeag.. I guess Dave too!

Anybody want something from Florida (citrus is not in now and I'm not lugging in 100 lbs of Mexican-grown grapefruits that you can buy at your local grocer!).

Regards,

Karl
Bleyseng
Some of those extra 914 parts would be cool!
Be sure to bring summer Miami clothes for its still about 80 degrees here during the day plus a light jacket, long pants, running shoes, a light shirt. It can get cool real fast here and chilly to someone who is from Florida. If you show up in shorts, flip flops, and a tank top you will freeze your ass off!

Geoff
John Kelly
Dave,

Would it be convenient for me to come down and have a look at the car today or tomorrow? Just let me know when. Removing the trailing arms is not necessary for the flare project if that's why you want them done. It would be a little easier without them in the way, but we can work around them.

Karl,

If you have a hammer and some dollies that are in good shape, you could bring them. The hammer should have a slight crown on it's face with no sharp edges.

Dave Cawdrey
John,

Today or tomorrow, either. How about today ?? Give me a call at 545.3577.

I want the arms off anyways. Rear hood isn't mounted, front is glass. Just trying to lighten in case we move the beast. If we can move the carcass outside, it will give us more room. Dunno, just a thought. If not, I gotta get more shit outta the way...
Carrera916
Hey Korjio,

I'd love to come up and help but it's almost impossible with the wife in NYC and I'm "home alone" with two little girls.... wub.gif sigh!

Any chance of having someone video a bit then download into the 'net? Or maybe if you got internet cable, grab ur webcam and "video" it a bit? I bet everyone would get a kick out of that. I'd love to see how John does the work as I'm a metal fabricator myself. It's fun seeing how others would do the work for the same result, F L A R E S!!! boldblue.gif boldblue.gif

Let us know what can be done....oh, if it is such a hassle, drop it since you've got plenty to deal with at this moment. cool.gif

Good luck and have fun! MDB2.gif

jerry
Dave Cawdrey
I just met with John. He is very nice. I can't wait... Gonna be a blast clap56.gif

Carrera,

I am gonna take pics and stuff, but John is in the process of making a video of the complete job. When done, it will be for sale. Ask John to add your name to the list.

BTW, you could try to make the next get together. Don't know exactly how far we will make it this time. We'll see...

Can anyone come by tomorrow to help w/ prepping?
John is gonna be here around 10a... confused24.gif
John Kelly
The car is almost ready now. Got most of the rest of the paint, and filler off, and scraped most of the undercoating inside the fenders. Either friday or early on Saturday, I'll jack the car up a little higher for easy access. We are good to go!

Anybody who has hammers and dollies, please bring them. We need hammers with a slight crown and no sharp edges. We need some differently shaped dollies, so, bring what you have. You may want to mark your tools in case there are duplicates.

We also need a few ballpeen hammers (the heavy ones) with nice smooth ball ends.

Bring ear protection, gloves if you want them...perhaps safety glasses, although they may not be necessary.

Any creepers to sit on, or small carpet samples etc will help. Drop lights too.

Please respond with what you think you might be able to bring.

Kevin, please do bring your compressor and palm nailer for back up in case we need them.

We will start at noon on Saturday, and go as long as we can, then start again at 9am Sunday. We should be able to get a fair amount done in that time.

My plan, after a brief discussion, is to start off with the ballpeen hammers hitting on marked areas inside the fender, backed up by shot dollies and shot bags. I will bring four or five bags which should do the trick.

Then briefly smooth the lumps with hammer and dolly. Start with the ballpeen again and repeat. Once we get a rhythm, I will be able to go around the car doing a little demo here and there, marking where to hit etc.

After everyone feels comfortable with the hand tools, I'll bring out the palm nailer and my portable planishing hammer. I'll take it from one fender to another to speed things up, as we continue to use the ballpeen and bags on the others.

Bleyseng
I'll drop off some air hose this week.
John, I'll bring my Nikon digital camera for some basic info shots that won't give away the secrets, ok?
Or can I just shoot away and you can use them later with your CD as a bonus track? I can take 45 sec movies too.

Geoff
John Kelly
Hi Geoff,

Sounds good!

914werke
Hey crew, just realized that this weekend hosts another Seattle tradition .. "Hempfest" in Volunteer park!
laugh.gif w00t.gif aktion035.gif mueba.gif dance.gif idea.gif wavey.gif pray.gif
Bleyseng
I thought it was in Myrtle Edwards Park?

Geoff
914werke
Its always been in Volunteer park ...but perhaps Im just in a haze wub.gif
John Kelly
OK, I guess we are all set. The only thing I know that we probably need more of is 24oz ballpeen hammers. See you guys at the swap, and then at Dave's at noon.

We just took Zach's car out for a test drive after doing some more stretching. It turns out that we will have to widen the fronts some more to fit 15X8s. We aslo might cut the fender supports so that we can move the leading edge of the front fender out, and the trailing edge of the rear fender out. This after spending a lot of time looking at the car from different distances and angles. A very important step in the job. We changed the shape of the rear flares a little since Jamie's event and may add more curve towards the top later.

All part of life's rich pageant.

Welcome to town Karl!

Brad, I guess you can't make it this time. Maybe the next one.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.